GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 wastegate rattle?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Acceleration from low rpm in a high gear towards redline, I hear a metallic rattle from the right side of the engine bay that sounds like the stock turbo wastegate rattle.

Doesn't happen in idle, car behaves normally and no loss of power, logs show normal operation as well.

Any clue or experience is welcomed.

PS we did check all connections, catalyst, turbine, wastegate and compressor wheel...all look nice and tight like they should be.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
That's odd since I was under the impression the K04's didn't have this issue?
Do you have APR's K04?

Labbatt33

Ready to race!
I have a similar noise/rattle on my Golf R. The wastegate is different between a stock K03 and a stock/APR K04 so the clip won't work. I've had two different dealers look at it without resolution and I haven't a clue myself. If you figure it out, I'll owe you a bunch of beer or spare VW parts.

jwal

Ready to race!
I have a similar noise/rattle on my Golf R. The wastegate is different between a stock K03 and a stock/APR K04 so the clip won't work. I've had two different dealers look at it without resolution and I haven't a clue myself. If you figure it out, I'll owe you a bunch of beer or spare VW parts.

I have this issue too. I notice mine when I am in vacuum at 10 in hg. I have yet to bring it anywhere as I just noticed it last week. An answer would be fantastic.

My R is at 44,444 miles ( i saw that today. haha)

I jacked my car up a weekend ago and tried to see if the actuator rod had any play. I could not get my hand to hold it as it is in an inconvenient spot.

It annoys the hell out of me.

mamock116

Ready to race!
I dont have a K04 but I do know how annoying wastegate rattle is. I had it bad on my stock IHI turbo. That $32 clip was a lifesaver. Too bad it wont fit the K04. Good luck dude. Keep the radio on louder, thats what I had to do to stay sane.