Blake1090

Go Kart Champion
Is that a screwdriver he left in there?

JhnR

Banned
Hmm that's strange...i guess lucked out or was a better day :laugh:

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it was an outrageous discovery. I couldn't believe that was there and I couldn't believe it didn't fall out. That thing was wedged way in there.

surprised you didnt notice any funny sounds or steering vibrations/feel...

Seems like someone or something interrupted him while he was working on your car and he moved to working on the rear suspension...

glad youre okay.

Power2rice

So while I was getting my Super Sports (which were installed by this guy) swapped out for DG's, my installer found this:

Forget something?

Definitely won't be going back or referring anyone to this guy.

What your installer found was the wedge too used to loosen the grip of the steering knuckle from the strut. The pic is a bit deceiving for everyone because it shows you took pic after the bolt was removed. That tool is hidden behind the strut when inserted and remains there during reassembly until it's removed last. Your installer should have informed it's function and mention that it was forgotten by a previous installer. Its same as seeing a mechanic forget a tool in your car and then another mechanic scores a new snap on tool for his tool set finding it. Nothing bad. Just a forgotten tool still in place.

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
What your installer found was the wedge too used to loosen the grip of the steering knuckle from the strut. The pic is a bit deceiving for everyone because it shows you took pic after the bolt was removed. That tool is hidden behind the strut when inserted and remains there during reassembly until it's removed last. Your installer should have informed it's function and mention that it was forgotten by a previous installer. Its same as seeing a mechanic forget a tool in your car and then another mechanic scores a new snap on tool for his tool set finding it. Nothing bad. Just a forgotten tool still in place.

This is quite different than a mechanic leaving a wrench behind the seat.

Power2rice

Perhaps. But pic is misleading. The second installer removes bolt to discover the wedge tool was forgotten there and scared the owner about it. Every person that has done this install first hand knows the knuckle has to be spread, and forgetting the tool can easily happen after all nuts and bolts are put back together since it sits hidden vertically with the strut.

I've known him for a while now. Great guy, good work. He installed my Solowerks coilovers on my CC. I'm sure there's some kind of misunderstanding about that incident.

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
Perhaps. But pic is misleading. The second installer removes bolt to discover the wedge tool was forgotten there and scared the owner about it. Every person that has done this install first hand knows the knuckle has to be spread, and forgetting the tool can easily happen after all nuts and bolts are put back together since it sits hidden vertically with the strut.

With that tool in its current position there is no way for the bolt to be installed. It is all the way through, he was driving around, for who knows how long without the bolt.

Power2rice

The bolt can still be installed and tightened regardless if tool spreader is tapped into place. Doesn't take a lot of pressure to spread but is needed else it's the grip of death trying to slide the strut out. Installer merely forgot to take the tool off as pic shows. It's tapped into place at very edge, there's a strut lip that slides through there which centers the strut position. No harm done. Forgotten tool wild fire?!

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
The bolt can still be installed and tightened regardless if tool spreader is tapped into place. Doesn't take a lot of pressure to spread but is needed else it's the grip of death trying to slide the strut out. Installer merely forgot to take the tool off as pic shows. It's tapped into place at very edge, there's a strut lip that slides through there which centers the strut position. No harm done. Forgotten tool wild fire?!

Oh I know I did my install. But if you look at the pic you can see the tool is blocking the bolt path completely. At least that's what it looks like anyways, I was not there hehe.

Sent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Can't believe people are actually defending him. This is nothing like leaving a tool in the back seat.

Power2rice

Look closer. It's sitting at edge. I've done these installs and seen installers forget the tool there before. I've scored one from dealer once similar way. It's not possibly to wedge tool in front of bolt there is a guide plate in the strut right there. Misinformed pic.

Power2rice

Well. Pic is showing tool. Owner of car is misinformed. Takes pic while another installer points out a forgotten tool while in progress of removal.. A paint shop does great work and one missed swirl buff suddenly becomes under fire because another points out a missed buff. Why not go to same shop and have him do you good?

jshay

Go Kart Champion
A paint shop messing up your paint is totally different than a shop that leaves a tool wedged into your collar.

That's like comparing an online retailer sending you a wrong size shirt to a doctor that left a tool in you during surgery. Would you risk going back to him so that he can "do you good"?