GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm asking this question from my couch, is there an easy way to know if you have Denso or Valeo?

I will order a climatronic box on eBay right now 🤣.

I can live with one zone for temperature. I could probably deal with the recirculation issue, it isn't even something I noticed when I had the half retrofit installed. But the air direction issues are an absolute no-go. Is there no physical difference between the boxes other than the motors/flaps? Or is that even something somebody could know without tearing apart two boxes?

Last edited:

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
I'm asking this question from my couch, is there an easy way to know if you have Denso or Valeo?

I will order a climatronic box on eBay right now 🤣.
2 ways. Easiest would be cabin filter cover, there will be name of manufacturer of the air-box on it. Second is by looking to the heater core and heater core piping (heater with clamps and short pipes integrated is DENSO, heater without pipes, only flange for pipes and pipes held by clip VALEO)

Estland

Car(s)
Mk7
I found interesting stuff to develop more comprehensive climatic to climatronic retrofit. According to this guy https://www.drive2.com/l/490550412340887746/ , it is actually possible to retrofit V107 (defroster flap) to climatic air-box! (at least DENSO ones, if this trick works on VALEO boxes? Someone with VALEO should check it out and confirm)

If this is true and actually works, then should be possible to do "almost complete" retrofit(1-zone climatronic as passenger temp flaps still be missing). This (V107 retrofit) and recirc flap V425 retrofit should resolve all the problems with climatronic changing vents from time to time and recirc flap issues

Things needed:
V107 defroster flap motor 5Q0907511K superseded by 2Q0907511G (VALEO uses 5Q0907511D superseded by 5WA907511B)
Rebuild kit of gears for air-box flaps 5Q0898001 (DENSO airbox) / If VALEO airbox allow the same, then 5Q0898001A rebuild kit should do the trick, second rebuild kit for VALEO is 3Q0898141B but this one look like is for motor on the left side)
6Q0972706 connector for V107 + Pins
N10424102 screws for V107
In the link mentioned before there are the pictures showing the process. In point 2 of the tutorial it shows that the blue shaft connecting blue levers needs to be disconnected, and 2 gears from the kit need to be connected from the other side of the air-box and then V107 engine need to be mounted with screws, How to connect the wiring is shown in point 4 (is from skoda, but should be the same in others MQB cars

Comprehensive retrofit with V107,V425,Air quality and humidity sensor, sun sensor,Rain and light sensor(with integrated interior humidity sensor, and other stuff like temps sensors, would make all the functions to work as they should. Of course without second temp zone, but without need to take dashboard out, dashboard support, air-box, etc.
Interesting. The lever from the motor V113 is diconnected. Do we lose the function of the air circulation button then? Or does the new V107 motor wiring sort the issue?

Edit: Are the V425 (code 3C0907511A) and the V107 (code 5Q0907511K) are the same, just different codes?

Last edited:

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Interesting. The lever from the motor V113 is diconnected. Do we lose the function of the air circulation button then? Or does the new V107 motor wiring sort the issue?

Edit: Are the V425 (code 3C0907511A) and the V107 (code 5Q0907511K) are the same, just different codes?
But V113 (recirc flap) is untouched, so what function of V113 you will lose? (other story that V113 works bad with climatronic and the question is if changing it to V425 is doable without removing dash)

V107 takes care of moving the defrost flap only to allow 3-directional airflow, which climatic allow only to be 2-directional max, separating defrost flap from V428 allows that

If 3C0 and 5Q0 motor are the same or different, I cannot tell, but I know that exist at least 2 different motors, with 340* and 180* of motion (on denso and valeo you can find these numbers, sometimes with POTI or POSI in front of 180/340 number (short for Position I suppose), and this two types are 100% NOT "cross-compatible"

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So as I continue looking at this... AND THIS IS ALL THEORY RIGHT NOW... I have NOT done/tested anything.
- My 2015 TDI with manual HVAC is Valeo... checked on the cabin air filter cover.
- Parts.vw.com (which is not always accurate) only shows Valeo for manual HVAC for my car, but shows Valeo or Denso option for Climatronic
- I assume Denso also makes manual HVAC but I don't have that so I'm only showing/giving Valeo part numbers here.

Problem... Air distribution is no good no good.
- Manual HVAC V428 controls air distribution, allowing 2-directional airflow only.
- It seems a (blue, eBay pictures for 5Q0898141D show blue) arm/lever attached to V428 opens/closes the defrost distribution door.
--- This is the lever that gets disconnected, in the driver footwell, per the link @Jachas posted.
- Current Partial Retrofit... Wiring to V428 (manual) now goes to V426 (Climatronic), and the retrofit harness wires this correctly.
--- I think we are making an assumption here that a V426 and V428 motor/position sensor are the same.
--- In progress edit: This is the same part number Manual and Climatronic... 2Q0907511F

- We then install V107 motor/position sensor on the right side... PN 5WA907511B or 5Q0907511D
--- This now controls the defrost door, which is no longer "controlled" by the blue lever that was attached to V428.
- And we must add the appropriate wiring for V107... T16D is the tan connector, T16C is the black.
1713823154463.png

Problem... Recirculation weirdness
- Manual HVAC V113 has no position sensor (Valeo PN 2Q0907511D)
- Climatronic V425 has a position sensor (Valeo PN 2Q0907511F)
- These have the same connector, but two more wires going to the 511F part
- Pictures attached, looks like the 511D could be replaced with 511F (and wires added)... if it can be accessed without removing dash.
--- Would also need to swap pins 5 and 6 at the motor connector (as noted by me here, the retrofit harness has the 0% and 100% swapped).
- This would IN THEORY solve the recirculation issue.

Manual HVAC V113
Manual - V113 - Valeo Recirc - 211D - Pic 1.jpgManual - V113 - Valeo Recirc - 211D - Pic 2.jpg

Climatronic V425
Climatronic - 425 - Valeo Recirc - 211F - Pic 2.jpgClimatronic - 425 - Valeo Recirc - 211F - Pic 1.jpg

V113 and V425 location and wiring (adding pins 2 and 3... swap pins 5 and 6)
V113 (manual) and V25 (climatronic).jpg1713828912120.png

Long post to say... I have ordered a few parts on eBay, thanks to @Jachas for the part numbers, and for costing me more money, haha.
I went cheapest available since it might not work (at least two items coming from the EU).

V107 Defrost Door Motor - 5Q0907511D or 5WA907511B
Defrost Flap Lever Kit - 5Q0898001A
V107 Connector - 6Q0972706 (5 wire pigtail on eBay)
V107 Screws - N10424102

V425 Recirc Door Motor (with position sensor) - 2Q0907511F
V425 Connector - 6Q0972706 (5 wire pigtail on eBay), to steal the 2 additional pins needed for position sensor

I already added external air quality/humidity sensor, sun sensor. And I previously had rain/light/humidity sensor. I've got a climatronic harness that I picked up for cheap but I'm not yet sure I want to tear it apart steal plugs and pins.

Last edited:

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Problem... Recirculation weirdness
- Manual HVAC V113 has no position sensor (Valeo PN 2Q0907511D)
- Climatronic V425 has a position sensor (Valeo PN 2Q0907511F)
- These have the same connector, but two more wires going to the 511F part
- Pictures attached, looks like the 511D could be replaced with 511F (and wires added)... if it can be accessed without removing dash.
--- Would also need to swap pins 5 and 6 at the motor connector (as noted by me here, the retrofit harness has the 0% and 100% swapped).
- This would IN THEORY solve the recirculation issue.

As I wrote in post #430 about recirc flaps, in case of valeo, probalby and in theory yes, changing only V113 to V425 + wiring probably would solve the issue (but only if the recirc flaps are the same between manual and climatronic valeo air-box)

I suspect that if the recirc flaps are different, it would work "as it should" but, may be not closed or open at 100% when needed, as flap may be different because of aircare and back pressure functionality. On MQB A0 cars ("small" MQB variant for car like Polo and Taigo/Nivus) recirc flaps are 100% different between manual and climatronic. Manual have only one big flap, and Climatronic have 2. Same big one as manual (so it's gonna be open/close) and other, smaller one for aircare and back pressure

Edit: recirc flap will be 100% different, I remember climatronic car that had problem with weak airflow from A/C and had broken gear in recirc flap. It was stuck with one flap blocking interior and other blocking exterior airflow and blower had hard time to move air.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
As I wrote in post #430 about recirc flaps, in case of valeo, probalby and in theory yes, changing only V113 to V425 + wiring probably would solve the issue (but only if the recirc flaps are the same between manual and climatronic valeo air-box)

I suspect that if the recirc flaps are different, it would work "as it should" but, may be not closed or open at 100% when needed, as flap may be different because of aircare and back pressure functionality. On MQB A0 cars ("small" MQB variant for car like Polo and Taigo/Nivus) recirc flaps are 100% different between manual and climatronic. Manual have only one big flap, and Climatronic have 2. Same big one as manual (so it's gonna be open/close) and other, smaller one for aircare and back pressure

Edit: recirc flap will be 100% different, I remember climatronic car that had problem with weak airflow from A/C and had broken gear in recirc flap. It was stuck with one flap blocking interior and other blocking exterior airflow and blower had hard time to move air.
Gotcha... so is there another motor/arm on the recirc for climatronic? I wasn't all that worried about recirc as that worked well enough. But of course if it can be made to work "better" that would be ideal.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Good picture of the box out of the dash... shows that blue arm that controls the defrost flaps on manual HVAC, up there pretty good but I think reachable.
- Circled in red is the factory location of the footwell temp sensor. That duct pops off which will give some more access for your arm/hand.
- And the side where V107 and lever kit would be installed.
1713893125078.png1713902531728.png

And here's a Climatronic box... no blue arm to control defrost flap.
- And V107 (with PN 5WA907511B visible) plus lever kit.
- Note this motor is marked 180 deg.
1713902567890.png1713902642025.png

DIGGING through pictures on eBay I was able to (double) confirm the part number for V428 and V426 is the same, note this motor is marked 340 deg.

Also to answer my question to @Jachas regarding the recirculation door (to me this looks un-solvable without tearing the dash apart)...
- Climatronic, still one motor but with an arm/lever situation (and 340 degree motor)
- And a picture showing the second flap/door
1713904329920.png1713904661024.png

- Second picture on manual HVAC box, with one door
1713904545097.png

The diagrams call this the intake duct, and it has a different part number between manual and Climatronic.
- The lower "box" is the same between the two.
- Manual HVAC Intake - 5WA898304... https://parts.vw.com/p/volkswagen__...rument-Panel-Air-Duct/97175989/5WA898304.html
- Climatronic Intake (Valeo) - 5WB898304... https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/Cabin-Air-Intake-Duct/97176067/5WB898304.html
--- parts.vw.com does not break down the gear mechanics on the side, but you can find it on ebay, if the listing is correct...
1713905704641.png

Denso Climatronic Intake is PN 5Q0898304, and the parts breakdown includes the lever/arm situation separately, PN 5Q0898141B

Last edited:

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Gotcha... so is there another motor/arm on the recirc for climatronic?
Entire recirc flap module is different, but it can be separated from air-box, very probably even without dash out (more info in mentioned before post #430)

Good picture of the box out of the dash... shows that blue arm that controls the defrost flaps on manual HVAC, up there pretty good but I think reachable.
- Circled in red is the factory location of the footwell temp sensor. That duct pops off which will give some more access for your arm/hand.

If taking it from bottom after taking out foot duck would be too difficult. Other option could be trying to get there from behind gauge cluster. I changed one time V428 taking cluster out (still difficult, but having access from footwell and from behind cluster helped alot)

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Also to answer my question to @Jachas regarding the recirculation door (to me this looks un-solvable without tearing the dash apart)...
airbox.png

According to ELSA/ERWIN, dash and dash support out :( , then 2 screws, "unhook" hook number 1 on picture from its place and then flip the entire recirc flap box is out in direction of "B" arrow. But I remember that friend took it out and replaced without touching the dash in MQB A0 car (Taigo/Nivus to be exact) and was difficult, but doable (and still faster than taking dash out)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
According to ELSA/ERWIN, dash and dash support out :( , then 2 screws, "unhook" hook number 1 on picture from its place and then flip the entire recirc flap box is out in direction of "B" arrow. But I remember that friend took it out and replaced without touching the dash in MQB A0 car (Taigo/Nivus to be exact) and was difficult, but doable (and still faster than taking dash out)

Haha, funny enough I was just in the repair manual, looking at instrument panel and crossmember removal. Figured no-one (except maybe you) would be interested so didn't post it.
1713907697746.png1713907721838.png

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
looking at instrument panel and crossmember removal. Figured no-one (except maybe you) would be interested so didn't post it.
I took out crossmember once (in vw polo) to change A/C evaporator. I hope to never do this again, although air-box is very nice to disassemble/repair when outside the car :ROFLMAO:

But as I was saying, taking glovebox is not too much hassle to try to take the recirculation door with dashboard in place :)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I took out crossmember once (in vw polo) to change A/C evaporator. I hope to never do this again, although air-box is very nice to disassemble/repair when outside the car :ROFLMAO:

But as I was saying, taking glovebox is not too much hassle to try to take the recirculation door with dashboard in place :)
I agree. I'll give it a try when I get a chance to pull the glove box.

Do you know if all Climatronic have AirCare? I'm looking at a box from a Tiguan, listing here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/296074192052
- Dual zone, has the separate motor for the defrost flap. But it seems to have the plane jane air intake duct.
- Motor wire direction, none of the extra gearing on the side

I know Tiguan and not Golf, just thought it was interesting, came up as a suggestion on eBay while looking at Golf stuff.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
It was not standard on our 2019 SEL-P Tiguan but was able to be activated it through the typical coding.

Last edited:

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Do you know if all Climatronic have AirCare? I'm looking at a box from a Tiguan, listing here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/296074192052
- Dual zone, has the separate motor for the defrost flap. But it seems to have the plane jane air intake duct.
- Motor wire direction, none of the extra gearing on the side

I know Tiguan and not Golf, just thought it was interesting, came up as a suggestion on eBay while looking at Golf stuff.

It was not standard on our 2019 SEL-P Tiguan but was able to be activated it through the typical coding.

Visually on ETKA, Valeo recirc flaps seems to look the same (at least on schematic) in manual and Climatronic (especially on Valeo), so maybe the only difference is V113 instead of V425 (hence different part number for recir flap)

If Kushdaiin could confirm if his Tiguan has valeo air-box installed, then my worlds from post #430 that Valeo could have only difference in engine flap would be not only guessing, but true (so Valeo guys are "blessed" and Denso boys are f*cked 😛)