GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need - Rear Sway Bar Recommendation

JammingJay

Ready to race!
Did a bit of reading and ended up confusing myself on what maybe my best option to improve my overall handling with limited impact to ride quality. Below are my options, any feedback is welcome:

Only suspension mod to date are a set of DG springs:

Option A - H&R 22mm Rear Sway - $225ish

Option B - Eibach 23mm Rear Sway - $189ish

Option C - APR 27mm Rear Sway (soft setting) - $235ish

or go:

Option D - UB Unibace - $300ish

Not looking to add the front sway as I'd like to simply do the install myself.

Thanks,
Jay

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
A or B for ride quality.

Dybz

Banned
ride quality won't be impacted by a sway bar... it doesn't really have an effect on how bumps/bad roads are handled by the car. it will primarily affect cornering. that being said, i had both the BSH (27mm solid) and H&R (24mm solid) RSB and loved the H&R much more. would definitely recommend that one as it makes the car extremely neutral in handling while the BSH one overdid things a bit.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I disagree Dybz - with my 24mm H&R, it was easily noticeable between soft and hard settings on rear stiffness and ride quality.

Dybz

Banned
I disagree Dybz - with my 24mm H&R, it was easily noticeable between soft and hard settings on rear stiffness and ride quality.

i don't know, didn't notice any change from stiff settings on BSH 27mm down to stiff on 24mm H&R or back to stock. what did you notice more? just rearend getting jostled on bumps?

there will obviously be some effect on the ability of the wheels to travel due to the connection between the two sides being stiffened... but really i noticed no real change on chicago streets (aka pothole hell).

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hmm tough call. I say APR/Hotckis 27mm on soft if you're just doing the rear. However, you're missing out not doing the front.

I say, Front and Rear Sways + UB Brace

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm tough call. I say APR/Hotckis 27mm on soft if you're just doing the rear. However, you're missing out not doing the front.

I say, Front and Rear Sways + UB Brace

Yup...that's how I ran mine when I just had the rear bar on. I have the whole suite of braces and bars now with DG springs. Soft on front, medium on rear is the sweet spot..

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yeah, next in line for me is the UB and Stern Brace

JammingJay

Ready to race!
All,

Thanks for the feedback. From what gather if I wanted a upgrade path, go with option C and set on the soft setting. If I am one and done then any 22-24mm RSB on a soft/med setting should work fine.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Whatever you do don't get a BSH 27mm RSB.

And rear sway bar settings and size really have to do with the sort of driving you'll be doing and how you like the car to feel.

A sweet spot for one may not be the sweet spot for another.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i don't know, didn't notice any change from stiff settings on BSH 27mm down to stiff on 24mm H&R or back to stock. what did you notice more? just rearend getting jostled on bumps?

there will obviously be some effect on the ability of the wheels to travel due to the connection between the two sides being stiffened... but really i noticed no real change on chicago streets (aka pothole hell).

rear end very stiff, skidded sometimes perhaps on rough transitions, overall chassis definitely felt tighter/firmer... not what I wanted, so had it put back to soft.