GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Spare Key Made

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
Hello everyone, i am looking to get a spare key made for my car as when i bought it used they only had the one. The dealer said $150 for the key and $90 to program it. Is there a cheaper place where i can buy the key and just have them program it for $90?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
mine was a bit cheaper (130?) I bought two and they waived programing fee. The programing only takes a couple of minutes...see if they'll do that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was told only a VW parts depot can cut keys, and only dealer equipment can do the programming. You know of a locksmith that has the equipment? And even $240 is a good price. Dealers in my area wanted $300 when the MK7's first came out. Also, unless the service people know you personally, you need to bring the car in and prove who you are and that you own the car, and they want payment in advance. So always have two keys - you lose one, get the replacement right away, or you'll need to tow your car to the dealer at your expense. Then it takes 2-3 days to have the key cut and sent to the dealer and programmed.

Last edited: