GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*NEW*MK6 Euro Tail Reverse CREE LED Kit – Very Bright/Error Free/Lifetime Warranty

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Being a copy cat is a good thing - check out our most popular seller - 48 bright LED trunk Strip with plug and play adapters/3m tape - everything you need for a clean and quick install!
http://deautokey.com/product/universal-48-led-flexible-strip-for-your-trunk-fits-all-car-models

And while you are at it - check out our interior LED kits - all broken down on top header of the site (includes puddle LEDs (if your car has them installed - and you can choose from red blue or white footwells!!):
www.deAutoLED.com

So I'm a copy cat...

And new puddle lights...

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I bought these and threw them in my eds reps and one of them melted the housing around the led above the reverse bulb. I'm not saying the bulb is not bright as all hell and I'm not even able to prove it was the bulb as the bulb still works although is definitely damaged due to the heat I believe the connection melted some solder and the plug where the bulb goes into is black or burned and the led tail light housing is melted due to the heat from the situation. Any thoughts DeAuto?

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Hi, that is not something we ever seen.

Can we please have your info - email us at Support@deAutoLED.com
When were these purchased - when did you see the issue?
Was the LED damaged during install?
Is there any other VCD mods that could alter the voltage and cause the issue?
This only happened on one side? The other side is fine?

We have these installed in many models and never seen this, the LED won't get any hotter than a regular incandescent bulb.

The housing should never melt either way as any plastic that will have a light source has to resist heat up to 500℉+ degrees.

We might be able to try to figure something out with more information, from the photo it looks like the LED is damaged, is the adapter fine?

This sort of reminds us when VW used the wrong plastic in their bulb tray plastic - the regular incandescent bulbs were melting the adapter:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6097466-CC-rear-melted-bulb-holder

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I've seen it before, don't know who made the bulbs though.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Hi, that is not something we ever seen.

Can we please have your info - email us at Support@deAutoLED.com
When were these purchased - when did you see the issue?
Was the LED damaged during install?
Is there any other VCD mods that could alter the voltage and cause the issue?
This only happened on one side? The other side is fine?

We have these installed in many models and never seen this, the LED won't get any hotter than a regular incandescent bulb.

The housing should never melt either way as any plastic that will have a light source has to resist heat up to 500℉+ degrees.

We might be able to try to figure something out with more information, from the photo it looks like the LED is damaged, is the adapter fine?

This sort of reminds us when VW used the wrong plastic in their bulb tray plastic - the regular incandescent bulbs were melting the adapter:

I bought these bulbs several months back, I'll email you guys so you can pull up my info, the bulb was installed correctly and worked fine for the past few months. No mods that alter voltage and the other side appears to be fine. Although the housing melted, so did the black connector where the bulb plugs into is melted so it must be the bulb itself. I'm thinking the bulb got hot and the connection was cut off when the solder melted the top piece off.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I've seen it before, don't know who made the bulbs though.

We never seen this with our LEDs. Where is the post you saw before?

I bought these bulbs several months back, I'll email you guys so you can pull up my info, the bulb was installed correctly and worked fine for the past few months. No mods that alter voltage and the other side appears to be fine. Although the housing melted, so did the black connector where the bulb plugs into is melted so it must be the bulb itself. I'm thinking the bulb got hot and the connection was cut off when the solder melted the top piece off.

ok thanks for working with us.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Ok thanks for working with us.

Absolutely, same to you, you guys have close to the best and fastest customer service out there and always did me a solid so I'm not complaining. Just pissed I gotta grab a new inner tail. It'll get ironed out.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Ok thank you - we would really like to see the other post that was mentioned about the other housing melting, if other bulbs are burning melting that are not ours it has to be linked to the wiring and plastic - we were blamed for melting CC trays back in the day until VW announced a recall that they used the wrong plastic that could melt:

You could imagine people seeing melted trays and only wanting to blame the bulb so we understand.

We cannot see these bulbs getting hot enough as we have these as City LEDs in many cars were they stay on for hours with no heat issues.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Ok thank you - we would really like to see the other post that was mentioned about the other housing melting, if other bulbs are burning melting that are not ours it has to be linked to the wiring and plastic - we were blamed for melting CC trays back in the day until VW announced a recall that they used the wrong plastic that could melt:

You could imagine people seeing melted trays and only wanting to blame the bulb so we understand.

We cannot see these bulbs getting hot enough as we have these as City LEDs in many cars were they stay on for hours with no heat issues.

I'd say it's safe to say that being that the bulb still works and shows no melting or burning itself, that there was a loose connection within the plug and caused some arching while in reverse. I can't blame DeAutoKey and I will continue to do business with you guys not only because this is the first real issue I've had electrically but because the customer service and support is A+ and that includes communication, respect, knowledge and refund/warranty policy.

zrickety

The Fixer
I bought a set of cherry Ed's with one melted housing. I might have pics. Maybe it was a red led for a faux fog? Got a replacement inner light and used standard 921 bulbs.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I bought a set of cherry Ed's with one melted housing. I might have pics. Maybe it was a red led for a faux fog? Got a replacement inner light and used standard 921 bulbs.

Where did you get the inner after the fact? I can't find one anywhere.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I'd say it's safe to say that being that the bulb still works and shows no melting or burning itself, that there was a loose connection within the plug and caused some arching while in reverse. I can't blame DeAutoKey and I will continue to do business with you guys not only because this is the first real issue I've had electrically but because the customer service and support is A+ and that includes communication, respect, knowledge and refund/warranty policy.

For the Ed's one melted housing... This is interesting, we might be getting close to more info on why or how this happened here. Do you have more information on this?

We do a lot of QA on our LEDs and these LEDs can be on 24/7 with no heat issues so we cannot see how these can get hot enough even with a spike of voltage.

Where did you get the inner after the fact? I can't find one anywhere.

We honestly don't believe it is our LED directly. We do feel bad about the issue you are seeing though and wanted to help.

Last edited: