GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Suspension Kit - Increased Road Noise ???

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
I installed the H&R Touring Cup Kit on Friday. The install was pretty standard. Took it to my local auto repair shop to have an alignment. Everything has checked out. I only have one issue. I now have some serious road noise while driving.

Is this normal? I've gone through and double checked everything. Nothing seems out of place and it drives great (no steering wheel vibrations or anything). I just don't know what it could be. The best way to describe the road noise is as if I left the parking brake on except the noise is coming from the front two wheels. It varies with speed. When I hit around 10-15 mph I can start to hear it. When I am on the freeway 55-65 it is very noticeable. I put my stock wheels/tires back on to eliminate a variable. I am out of ideas.

Anyone have any ideas on things I can check? Thanks in advance.

tamz273

Ready to race!
Interesting.. Did you replace bearings and mounts? Any noticeable noise when standing still and turning the wheels?

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
I just am so lost as to what we cause a audible noise that increases and decrease with speed. Starts at 10-15 mph and gets worse 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 etc. etc.

Interesting.. Did you replace bearings and mounts? Any noticeable noise when standing still and turning the wheels?

No. I followed the instructions and re-used all the OEM parts it instructed me to. My car only has 16,000 miles on it and all the mounts/bearings looked great.

Make sure springs are locked in good?
Can you clarify with a bit more detail as to what you mean? I pretty sure they are but I want to make sure I know what you are talking about.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
I now have some serious road noise while driving.

Is this normal?

Of course not. Get it checked at a shop. Lift the car while sitting in the car and
start engine, shift 2nd gear and let the wheels turn.
Somebody will listen and notice the noise. Brakes, drive axles - we don't know it
- you need to listen.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Not sure how that setup works but are there any missing rubber spring seat isolators?

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Of course not. Get it checked at a shop. Lift the car while sitting in the car and
start engine, shift 2nd gear and let the wheels turn.
Somebody will listen and notice the noise. Brakes, drive axles - we don't know it
- you need to listen.
great idea. I will have my tech do this right after the test drive in the AM.

Not sure how that setup works but are there any missing rubber spring seat isolators?
We did not have any missing pieces. Everything went back together just fine. We reused all of the OEM parts the H&R instructions told us to.

<edited>...Got the alignment specs? Ever rotated the tires? They may have been put back in different positions. If the rears went on the front and you didn't do regular rotations, they will make lots of noise..
The alignment specs came back all green. I switched out to 2 different wheel/tire combos. same sound.

Did you try adjusting height? Could it be rubbing?
Can't. The H&R touring cup kit is a fixed height, not adjustable.

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Had the car in the shop today. Looks like my rear subframe is bent from my accident earlier this year. Going to work with my insurance company to get it replaced. Besides the point. The tech was unable to track anything down to something "rubbing", only claims road noise. I am going to go for a ride with him in my car, just to be 100% certain.

Does anyone have the H&R touring cup kit and have they noticed an increase in road noise?