GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**OEM Golf R LED Tails - Official Group Buy**

mark986

Ready to race!
I filled in the gap that you see between the lens and the housing with some black window sealer/caulking. Just make sure you use painters tape to give you that clean line so you can't even tell it's there when you're done. It also helps from getting on the lens which would be a pain in the ass to clean.

ma-bo-

Ready to race!
oh I see, thanks.
I thought maybe you did something to the foam gasket that seals the hole where the connectors go into the housing, because I think that's where Hilfloskind said it allowed water to get into the housing.

mark986

Ready to race!
That just seems like a rare occassion. I can't really explain what happene. If you really were paranoid, just do the sealant thing where the black part of the tail-light and the body of the car meet since a little gap is present. The stock lights were like that. But all in all, water shouldn't really be getting there.

Uberryan

Banned
wait a minute, don't go sealing the actual gap between the lights and C pillar. Just place a few beads of sealant around the exposed manufacturer crevices/cracks, but don't go sealing anything shut, and definitely don't seal anything to the actual car in case servicing, or warranty claims need to be made somehow. If you don't understand where to apply the water proof sealant, don't do it, or ask for pics. Otherwise, don't just guess, you'll fuck up your $700 tails, and 30k car.

mark986

Ready to race!
oh I get it now, so you sealed the gap after installing the housings. Makes sense. thanks

No, no. I sealed my lights before I installed them. Look at your tail lights. You will see a small gap between the two pieces where the tail lights are joined together. I should of done before and afters.

mark986

Ready to race!
Look at this pic. This was my second suggestion where water could get behind the light and a small amount of caulking could resolve that since you mentioned the issues of water by the connectors. I did not do this, just around the light itself.

mark986

Ready to race!
I know you do. I used your picture haha =) I think everyone will have a little gap.

ma-bo-

Ready to race!
Look at this pic. This was my second suggestion where water could get behind the light and a small amount of caulking could resolve that since you mentioned the issues of water by the connectors. I did not do this, just around the light itself.

yeah, I thought you meant you filled that gap since water gets in behind there.
But focalpoint does have a point that I don't want to screw up these tail lights.

mark986

Ready to race!
Well the stuff I used peels off very easily, but yea I wouldn't do anything if you're not sure. Cause if you do get it on the lens, it won't be pretty.

AaronC1

Ready to race!
Got a 2011 with Xenons, build date of 08/10, changed byte 18 to 1F, seems to be no issues.

Also, enabled gauge sweep, remote windows, emergency braking lights, driver side heater memory, DRLs to foglights, removed seatbelt chime, and honk when locking car. Very happy!

Found the guy from the VAG COM search. I bought a case of Dos Equis for us to drink while working on the car. Gave him the rest of the case and $20 for his help and he was happy.

Uberryan

Banned
Got a 2011 with Xenons, build date of 08/10, changed byte 18 to 1F, seems to be no issues.

Also, enabled gauge sweep, remote windows, emergency braking lights, driver side heater memory, DRLs to foglights, removed seatbelt chime, and honk when locking car. Very happy!

Found the guy from the VAG COM search. I bought a case of Dos Equis for us to drink while working on the car. Gave him the rest of the case and $20 for his help and he was happy.

cool...