GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
No, nothing that I would call significant yet. I still haven't tried removing the wireless carplay adaptor from the cubby but the more I think about, the less successful I think that'll be.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Okay, so I did a bunch of anecdotal testing on the 611A charger and I will very firmly recommend against getting this charger for our platform. In short, the only reliable thing about this charger is that it is unreliable and too finicky to pay the $75 for the built in fan that, as others have mentioned, really doesn't help the phone stay cool. Recently, I honestly had a couple of days of relatively good success when putting my phone on the charger, only needing 1 to 2 tries to get it to turn on without error. But my testing officially ended today, I took both chargers out of the GSW and R as I have reliable 611 chargers that work every time. Another fincky thing that I noticed with the 611A is that if you started your car after putting the phone on the charger it would reliably error out.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Well that didn’t last too long. Installed, now just to spend a few days testing. Not optimistic but what the hell, a pack of six rings was $10 on Amazon.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Edit: well that failed as pad detected a non-chargeable object on it. I'll guess I'll test it for a few more days. . .

Last edited:

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@bobloblawGTI well, still too early to give a full run down but my current testing is showing better results than past testing. The charger is still a bit more finicky than the standard charger but I've had better luck thus far.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
@bobloblawGTI well, still too early to give a full run down but my current testing is showing better results than past testing. The charger is still a bit more finicky than the standard charger but I've had better luck thus far.
Might have to try out these MagSafe rings, then! No more non-chargeable object errors showing up?

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@bobloblawGTI, no necessarily. I added an edit to the bottom of my post about those causing an error as the pad detects a non-chargeable object on it. If we want to go into wooga-wooga stuff, maybe; and I mean probably not, but perhaps the initial install of the magnet is having on the affect of the pad that seems to cause it to work. Like putting any magnet to any electronic is generally not a good idea but maybe in this case it reset the the charger? Again, this is extremely unlikely and perhaps I'm just on a good streak with the charger. Otherwise, installing the magsafe rings only appears to impair the ability of the charger to work.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
@bobloblawGTI, no necessarily. I added an edit to the bottom of my post about those causing an error as the pad detects a non-chargeable object on it. If we want to go into wooga-wooga stuff, maybe; and I mean probably not, but perhaps the initial install of the magnet is having on the affect of the pad that seems to cause it to work. Like putting any magnet to any electronic is generally not a good idea but maybe in this case it reset the the charger? Again, this is extremely unlikely and perhaps I'm just on a good streak with the charger. Otherwise, installing the magsafe rings only appears to impair the ability of the charger to work.
Are you able to adhere the ring to the rubber insert that goes above the wireless charger in the cubby? That's what I had originally thought of trying but ran out of time and ultimately returned the new charger.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Are you able to adhere the ring to the rubber insert that goes above the wireless charger in the cubby? That's what I had originally thought of trying but ran out of time and ultimately returned the new charger.
It wouldn't matter since the charger will still identify a foreign object on the charger, given the proximity. It doesn't take much with this charger to throw an error, so anything existing between the phone and charger will very likely cause it to error out.

The most important thing that I've observed so far is to not have anything on the charger prior to starting the car. This seems to immediately disrupt the charging process and cause the charger to be finnicky until the MIB is cycled again.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
It wouldn't matter since the charger will still identify a foreign object on the charger, given the proximity. It doesn't take much with this charger to throw an error, so anything existing between the phone and charger will very likely cause it to error out.

The most important thing that I've observed so far is to not have anything on the charger prior to starting the car. This seems to immediately disrupt the charging process and cause the charger to be finnicky until the MIB is cycled again.
That certainly makes sense based on your prior observations, but it might be worthwhile to try since you have a few rings just to confirm.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
I still use this charger and can say I am more satisfied with it than with the previous one. The reason is obvious - it charges much faster. However, it does require a little bit of patience to get the phone being charged, but once the fitment is okay, the phone is still charging. I had few long trips and put there a phone and it charged for 2+ hours.
I noticed that the upper right corner of the phone (iPhone 15 Pro) should be placed a little bit more to the back of the cubby, so the phone does not lie there straight. I don't know why, but this almost always wokrs. As I said, maybe 7 out of 10 times the phone will start to charge. I haven't tried it without the (magsafe) case.

Last edited: