GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official CANDY WHITE GOLF/GTI Thread...

davisharr

Go Kart Champion

Saabingti

Autocross Champion

Need to get me some of those sidemarkers.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Recently had the hood re-painted to fix any paint chips and rust spots after 120k miles, also got the bumper and lower insert painted as well.
Took this picture juuust before pulling off the winter tires a bit ago

TestPicture - Copy (2).png

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Recently had the hood re-painted to fix any paint chips and rust spots after 120k miles, also got the bumper and lower insert painted as well.
Took this picture juuust before pulling off the winter tires a bit ago

View attachment 178391
I've been fighting with the decision to either get my hood and bumper resprayed or go through the tedious process of properly touching up all the rock chips.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I've been fighting with the decision to either get my hood and bumper resprayed or go through the tedious process of properly touching up all the rock chips.

I did both :ROFLMAO:
I got a candy white touch up paint package and did my best to be patient and even did a bit of wet sanding and polishing after, it looked pretty bad close up but a few feet out it was perfectly fine. Also, it was miles better than the mild rust spots I was starting to get, which could be seen from more than a few feet away since it was rust next to white paint.

Overall, It was worth it to cover & stop the rust for a while, as well as stop the chips from getting bigger.

I used that same pen to touch up other tiny single spots and it looks fine - problem is if you have a few bigger chips on the hood it's just too many spots in a visible spot so close together.

Here's a pic of how many chips my hood had - I used blue tape to keep track because after a while my eyes got lost in the white paint and it was hard to see the spots.
I also found a pic taken from about 15-20 feet away but still clearly shows how bad my hood was before I started taking action. Lots and lots of highway miles on this car so I guess that means more rockchips than normal.
Edit: I also tracked down a pic after the paint touch up I did by hand from about the same distance - clearly a huge improvement although not perfect up close.

Capture - Copy.PNG

Capture2 - Copy.PNG

Capture3 - Copy.PNG

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I did both :ROFLMAO:
I got a candy white touch up paint package and did my best to be patient and even did a bit of wet sanding and polishing after, it looked pretty bad close up but a few feet out it was perfectly fine. Also, it was miles better than the mild rust spots I was starting to get, which could be seen from more than a few feet away since it was rust next to white paint.

Overall, It was worth it to cover & stop the rust for a while, as well as stop the chips from getting bigger.

I used that same pen to touch up other tiny single spots and it looks fine - problem is if you have a few bigger chips on the hood it's just too many spots in a visible spot so close together.

Here's a pic of how many chips my hood had - I used blue tape to keep track because after a while my eyes got lost in the white paint and it was hard to see the spots.
I also found a pic taken from about 15-20 feet away but still clearly shows how bad my hood was before I started taking action. Lots and lots of highway miles on this car so I guess that means more rockchips than normal.
Edit: I also tracked down a pic after the paint touch up I did by hand from about the same distance - clearly a huge improvement although not perfect up close.

View attachment 178430
View attachment 178431
View attachment 178432
I’ll think on it a bit. If I can find a body shop that does good work I may consider jumping straight to repaint with a little paintless dent work in a couple of spots.