GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OK to run Africa plate with no catch can?

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
I recently installed a catch can on my GTI and my car runs like crap with the CC installed. During troubleshooting I decided to just run the Africa plate directly into the port on the back of my intake pipe. The car ran like a monster with this setup, best i've ever felt it run. Would it be at all harmful to keep the car hooked up this way? I know the blowby gasses would be now routing back into the intake, but they were heading there with the stock setup as well... Can/should I just install a check valve and be OK to run the car like this??

2008.5 TSI with CBFA engine code.

Thanks,

Bake

Tecni

Ready to race!
You're going to get an increased amount of oil going into your intake because you eliminated the OEM PCV that separated some of the oil from the gasses.

I wouldn't recommend you run that setup for long. Your valves are going to get gummed up and you're going to find a bunch of oil in your I/C piping.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Whoa, definitely do not do this. As stated above, the factory PCV system has an oil separator in it to at least expel SOME of the oil out of the blow by gases. Without it, you're practically pumping straight oil down your intake.

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
Any explanation of why my car would run A LOT better this way rather than with the full catch can installed?

I returned it back to the way it was intended. But if i can't figure this out the whole thing is coming out tomorrow. Car feels slower than stage 1 with the CC installed and i don't make full boost until around 3800rpm's. Even at that it's only 16psi. I was hitting 20psi before the CC install and 22psi with the africa plate only...

Uberryan

Banned
You don't need a catch can, the benefits are minimal at best. You see the downside to installing one already. Loss of boost. Solution...? Uninstall and sell the catch can.

crew219

Banned
Any explanation of why my car would run A LOT better this way rather than with the full catch can installed?

I returned it back to the way it was intended. But if i can't figure this out the whole thing is coming out tomorrow. Car feels slower than stage 1 with the CC installed and i don't make full boost until around 3800rpm's. Even at that it's only 16psi. I was hitting 20psi before the CC install and 22psi with the africa plate only...

This isn't the first issue i've heard about with the forge CC. Maybe it's the quality control and they simply leak, or something about the design causes it to run like crap (maybe the pickup tube gets clogged?)

The same can is used on the FSI and several members have had problems with it including people like iModTT, mkim and sabba.

Here's sabba's thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4695386-forge-catch-can-causing-boost-leak

His shop is RSW so I highly doubt it is an install issue. He ended up removing it and RSW made him a different catch can setup.

Dave

crew219

Banned
Whoa, definitely do not do this. As stated above, the factory PCV system has an oil separator in it to at least expel SOME of the oil out of the blow by gases. Without it, you're practically pumping straight oil down your intake.

Not too familiar with the TSI OEM plate, but are you sure that it has oil separators in it? On the FSI, it's more of a diverter plate, to route the gases into the intake when the engine is not in boost, and back to the turbo inlet when boost is being produced.

EDIT: just checked out the study guide. The fine oil separator is located in the OEM africa plate. Definitely would not recommend removing it and just running the Forge piece back into the turbo inlet.

To the OP: If you want the same effect, I think a better option would be to purchase the APR boost tap and install it as if you were going to use the OEM PCV setup, but use the block off screw in it. That way it prevents any gases from reaching the intake manifold, and the diverter valve in the OEM africa plate will automatically reroute (due to the pressure differential) the gases back to the turbo inlet. You get the same effect as what you're doing now, with the added benefit of maintaining the OEM fine oil separator.

Dave

Last edited:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
that doesnt make a mess all over the back of your car? I remember my mk3 gti had a slight oil leak, and i had greasy spots all over the back of the hatch from the turbulent air since it's a hatchback

twistid

Ready to race!
bumpfor info on dump tube. you route the output of the africa plate to the bottom of the motor bay to spray all the nasty goodness onto thr road?

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Why not just run the "Africa Plate" as a dump tube?
Thats what I haz

034 Valve Cover:

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine...-20-tfsi-tsi-catch-can-provision-p-22901.html

Im interrsted in this as well.

Took this from their website
Please Note: This is intended for use with a catch can, and requires a catch can to be installed for proper crankcase ventilation. Recommended for use with the 034Motorsport Intake Manifold Plug & Boost Tap.

Can it be done without a catch can?