GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Operating oil temperature

KaJ

Ready to race!

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
well if you pushed the car and went WOT multiple times without rest inbetween, being chipped with stock IC, or drove at high speeds for a long time, then 115c sounds like fine to me.

KaJ

Ready to race!
Nope, just cruising on the freeway or around town.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
I've done a few logs on oil temperature with my VCDS before and I sort of believe that the reading in VCDS is about 12c higher than the actual oil temperature.

There was one time I haven't drove my car for a few days so I decided to check the oil temp before starting the car. I've noticed the ambient temperature is around ~21c but the oil temp says ~33c.

Yesterday I just took a random log of driving home after work and the highest the oil temp got was 111c. Outside weather was about 0c and it was just a normal highway drive.
Last year during a track event the highest the oil temp got was 121c on a summer day ~20c.

Also I think when oil temps start to get into high 130c is when it starts to become a concern. Water temp should be fine until it reaches around 110c.

vonwagon

Go kart racing

Go racing is fun in carlsbad. you can visit here for updates. <a href="http://www.k1speed.com/carlsbad-location.html">Go Kart Racing Carlsbad.</a>

GolfRrrr

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow I have never seen 100 C. Max I saw maybe between 92-93. Even when it almost 40 C outside

That's on Golf R

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Wow I have never seen 100 C. Max I saw maybe between 92-93. Even when it almost 40 C outside

That's on Golf R

You dont drive it hard.

Push it 3-4 runs on day time and you will see 108 at least

With stage2 power on stock GTI IC, 108 is a regular

Sent from my iPhone with typos.

ckcspice

here in malaysia ambient temp in the day can get up to 35-38 degrees celsius...highest oil temp reading i had was 111 when i was driving 220km/h on the highway..

prise

My 118 TSI (1.4 L twincharger) has never gone above 102 deg oil temperature even when we have had the odd 40 degC days over summer. Most of the time it sits around 90 degC.

The main use for oil temp is by the dash computer as part of the algorithm that calculates oil life if extended oil change intervals have been enabled. Unless the oil gets so hot that it loses the viscosity required to maintain oil pressure where its needed, the main effect of higher oil temperatures will be a reduction in oil life and the modern synthetics are pretty good in this area.

The 1.5 L turbocharged Rotax aero engines I have dealt with were good for 130 deg on the oil temp. The main problem would be if the oil temp got to the redline at the top of the climb then oil pressure would be low if the motor was throttled back to idle.

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
Mine has seen 112 before couple days, i felt bad and took it easy for the rest of the road...i always feel bad for the car, only launched it once since i bought it.

=|

Man, I think it is normal in Qatar, this country is hot like hell...but anyway take it easy:)

Gamx35

Ready to race!
Today it is about 50 something degree on C. After 30 mins drive, the temperature is on 109. So odd...

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
Looking for more feedback from others. Hopefully others can log block 134 so I can compare.

I mean my temp gauge never moves past the mid in the car, so the coolant is staying within the "safe" range I guess. But my oil temps get pretty high sitting idle for 5+ minutes after the car warms up. They also sit at 115*C on the freeway going 65-80 mph.

Anyone other people with VCDS in the US want to chime in?

I read 101 C oil temp at 85 mph highway driving in 18 C ambient temperature. what you have seem to me little bit high...