GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overheating...it's not water pump, thermostat, radiator or fans - SOLVED

zrickety

The Fixer
Long story short, I was at autox a couple weeks ago and the car overheated at the end of the run. I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator, and both fans are working. The car still runs good...when it's cold. I'm not getting any mixing of oil/coolant but it wants to sit at 237 degrees. At this point the oil pressure drops off and I get a warning. I've seen this happen on other makes with a cracked cylinder wall.
Has this happened to anyone else and what did you find? I'm going to tear the engine down this week and do some CSI.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Could it be you need to adjust your water/coolant ratio for these events and go for almost all water and water wetter? Just throwing it out there.

zrickety

The Fixer
Could it be you need to adjust your water/coolant ratio for these events and go for almost all water and water wetter? Just throwing it out there.
I wish. I tried letting it cool off and it heated up really fast. In the driveway it will sit just below the red zone at idle.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if you have an air pocket in the coolant? I've seen a few vehicles run super hot after significant coolant work caused by this. Do you have access to a vacuum bleeder?

zrickety

The Fixer
I thought that at first, but this issue started before I took anything apart and it seems to circulate. I am going to pressure test it.

zrickety

The Fixer
To resolve this post, it was a seized balance shaft...main timing chain was still running the motor but the water pump was not turning.
Car is fixed. Details in my timing failure thread.