GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SB Stage II Daily Silent & Non-silent review

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the info.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the stage 3 disk that goes with the stock dmf has a floating center that will avoid all the spring crap? Seems like that disk with a new dmf and pressure plate would be my best option when/if my clutch goes...

crew219

Banned
Thanks for all the info.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the stage 3 disk that goes with the stock dmf has a floating center that will avoid all the spring crap? Seems like that disk with a new dmf and pressure plate would be my best option when/if my clutch goes...

Yes, from what I've seen, it's a sachs center (might even be the same one from the factory) and they simply added on their OFE linings (higher metal content organic on the pressure plate side, Feramic on the flywheel side).

Sidenote, I should point out that my factory clutch with 80k on it only ever had organic lining wear. You could still see the machine marks on the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces. I thought it was pretty insane, but it also highlights how "soft" the factory organic compound is.

Dave

koko58691

Ready to race!
Someone else needs to step up to the plate and change the game.
Unfortunately like you said, they're the only ones in the market.

Very informative write-up sir. Sorry about all the misfortune on your end.
But Thank you :thumbup:

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
I've had zero issues with my clutch, 20k+ stage 2 tuned. I'm easy on my clutches so I'm not really to concerned about it. But when it does get replaced I'd like it to be a one time affair. I'd be seriously pissed if I was in your shoes...

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
I've had zero issues with my clutch, 20k+ stage 2 tuned. I'm easy on my clutches so I'm not really to concerned about it. But when it does get replaced I'd like it to be a one time affair. I'd be seriously pissed if I was in your shoes...

I must admit threads like these are making me SERIOUSLY consider trading in my brand new car for one with a DSG transmission.

I have plans for stage 2 when the sale starts. Then K04 this summer or fall.

I don't need clutch issues too.

speed4568

Ready to race!
dammm,
i need a new clutch, and now i dont know what to get

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
if only clutchmaster was a quiet clutch......I am lucky my SB clutch has been fine...it is pretty clear they have issues

for anyone in the market....I would recommend clutchmasters fx300/400...from what i have seen with them the chatter is in between the SB standard and silent, and they are a very reputable company that has good customer service, and a web site you can actually read

crew219

Banned
if only clutchmaster was a quiet clutch......I am lucky my SB clutch has been fine...it is pretty clear they have issues

for anyone in the market....I would recommend clutchmasters fx300/400...from what i have seen with them the chatter is in between the SB standard and silent, and they are a very reputable company that has good customer service, and a web site you can actually read

From what I've seen, they use the same center hub as the non-silent SB, and IIRC they use a 16lb flywheel vs the 19lb flywheel that SB uses. Just going by that alone, I'd imagine that the CM would be louder.

Also the FS 300 / 400 utilize segmented / pucked disks which are grabbier and less street able. Seems like someone looking for something comparable to stage II daily should look at FX100 which uses a full face organic disk. Personally, I'd stay away from kevlar disks.

Dave

OldDirty

Ready to race!
Man it sucks that the clutch situation for TSI cars is so depressing, seems like a really good business opportunity for a company that knows what they are doing.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Glad to see the info finally released Dave. Very unfortunate the way this has been handled by Southbend. I will definitely be measuring my clutch before it goes in. I've been driving around with it in my car the past three weeks still contemplating it but at this point my clutch won't hold a 3rd gear pull.

So has SB reported that the spring popping issue has been common with others with the non-silent series clutches?

spec says the same thing in response to the springs issue for another vw model:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5515222-Anyone-with-bad-experiences-with-SPEC-clutches
Dave I am really sorry for the issues you had with SB. IMHO I would have just called them.
As for the above link , all of my posts in that thread (and others) have been deleted.
As a former distributor of SPEC and current distributor for South Bend I will openly say after purchase support from SB vs SPEC is chalk & Cheese. SPEC will blame your unborn son as the reason for failure....

We have done a few of the SB silent kits (all Stage 3 OFE so part # : KTSI-F-SS-O-PD) and knock on wood they have been great. Food for thought , if SB was a crappy clutch , some of us would not be distributors for them or offering there products to the community.

I will CC Jon/Andy@SB on this thread and hopefully they can chime in on the issues.

crew219

Banned
Dave I am really sorry for the issues you had with SB. IMHO I would have just called them.
As for the above link , all of my posts in that thread (and others) have been deleted.
As a former distributor of SPEC and current distributor for South Bend I will openly say after purchase support from SB vs SPEC is chalk & Cheese. SPEC will blame your unborn son as the reason for failure....

We have done a few of the SB silent kits (all Stage 3 OFE so part # : KTSI-F-SS-O-PD) and knock on wood they have been great. Food for thought , if SB was a crappy clutch , some of us would not be distributors for them or offering there products to the community.

I will CC Jon/Andy@SB on this thread and hopefully they can chime in on the issues.

Issam, I have had numerous phone calls and emails with Jon. Initial contact was made through Andy. All the contacts were professional and cordial. If it is allowed / requested, I will gladly post the emails although I would blank out the names of distributors that I have mentioned to Jon.

No doubt many of the people that I talk to sell SB (note that I even purchased it from a friend at cost), but that doesn't change the performance of the product. Numerous people & distributors have had issues with their silent kit. Although distributors might keep things quiet, the end consumers have not. I'm just the first to identify the cause of the bad silent kits and bring it to light. The issues with springs popping out of the retainers has been going on long before the MKV even came out.

Dave

Although distributors might keep things quiet, the end consumers have not.
We wouldn't
When we had issues with Spec we were vocal about it. The downside was Spec pretty much threw us under the bridge and caused us to front $$ from our own pocket for the SB replacements.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
it's really horrifying that there isn't a good clutch option for the GTI. Essentially what is being said is that unless you have DSG, you shouldn't upgrade your car above stage 1. This is really turning into an issue, and could then turn into a problem for the other tuning companies. It seems that SB has been quiet on the whole issue, so it makes me feel like they don't know what the solution is. However, I'm getting to the point where I need to decide in the next 5,000 miles if I should take off my k04 because I can't find a clutch that can work.