GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Single parent has mid-life crisis @ 34; buys dream hatch; gets back into racing after 8-yr hiatus; chases BMW M-cars

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG

MrTSI

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Suspension work 4/9-4/10. Hand washed engine bay on 4/9. Hood, too. She was shamefully dirty. Our little Stormtrooper Mopar killer deserves the best pampering. 😎

H&R OE Sport springs went bye bye. I loved those for what they were: an excellent street spring for OE dampers.

S3 springs went on.

PSB Track Day Spec pads went on for trial purposes and track use.

I’m documenting their performance in a separate thread over in the Tracking/Auto-x forum. I’ll link it here if I remember to.

Note the mandatory GTI coffee tumbler filled with Dad Fuel. ⛽
If you still have the OE Sports on hand, would you be able to measure the wire thickness, and the overall diameter of the front and rear springs? I'm trying to approximate the rates relative to stock to validate H&R's "10% stiffer" claim.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
If you still have the OE Sports on hand, would you be able to measure the wire thickness, and the overall diameter of the front and rear springs? I'm trying to approximate the rates relative to stock to validate H&R's "10% stiffer" claim.
They sold a while ago. Sorry!

10% stiffer is believable, but you never feel it. They do great with the Koni and OE dampers (DCC included).

Bilsteins not so much… 🤦‍♂️

MrTSI

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
They sold a while ago. Sorry!

10% stiffer is believable, but you never feel it. They do great with the Koni and OE dampers (DCC included).

Bilsteins not so much… 🤦‍♂️
Thanks for replying. I wish H&R would be more forthcoming with their rates. I'm always skeptical of claims of "about x% stiffer" from vendors and owners alike. Often, the rates are actually softer than stock, although I have found this is more common with linear springs than progressives.

Looking at pics of the OE Sports, it looks like once the tighter windings bind, they have the same number of free coils as stock. So then it becomes a matter of comparing wire thickness, and to a lesser extent, the overall diameter, to get an idea of how they stack up versus stock. Thinner wire/wider diameter = softer, and vice versa. I do think 10% stiffer is plausible, but in God we trust, all others bring data...

Thanks anyways. I will keep following your build. Your posts are always entertaining and very informative.