GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 vs stage 2

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
My last car I went straight to stage 2 so I don't have a comparison but with the new car 2011 dsg autobahn is one better than the other? I was very pleased with stage 2 but there is a cost difference.

Thoughts?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
skip stage 1 and go to 2 right away. It's a much smoother tune

I'll agree with it being smoother but the additional requirements such as a DP and intake, I'm not sure you want to invest the extra. Stage 1 was completely problem free for me. While it was no record breaking speed, it did have enough additional "ump" that you wish it came that way from the factory.

Stage 2 on the other hand, gives you less of the feeling of an immediate outburst such as Stage 1 but it also doesn't fall flat as quick as Stage 1 does. The issue with Stage 2 though is encountering additional issues once you drop in the downpipe such as if you go catless, good luck with inspection. If you are among the unfortunate like myself, your turbo may blow also relatively quickly. Mine only lasted about 5k miles on stage2 before going bad...

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Just went down to stage 1 myself from stage 2 for about 5 years. I don't miss the extra power at all. I definitely don't miss the extra noise and "troubles" related to stage 2 either. Now my stage 2 ran very trouble-free really so I'm not complaining about it one bit. Just saying that I'm 95% as happy with stage 1 so if you're like me and don't want to worry about having aftermarket product problems or just want more pep around town, then go stage 1

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
It’s not as problematic as people make it seem don’t let their experiences make you think other wise. Stage 2 is perfectly fine, I daily drove my mk6 when I had it on stage 2 and never had an issue at all. Went WOT every single day no turbo issues or anything. Just keep up with the maintenance and as far as stage 2 requirements all you need is a downpipe, an intake is not required. Stage 1 has more low end and stage 2 has more top end but you don’t really lose anything in daily driving. I didn’t really tell a difference just better mid top end. I was tuned from 14k miles all the way to 88k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Well this pretty much mirrors what I thought back in 12 when I bought my first GTI. Looks like I'll be going straight to stage 2 again.

I agree an intake isn't needed at stage 2 I had one and ended up removing it to reduce the noise. No reduction felt in the butt dyno day to day driving.

Thanks guys.!