GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Noise Coming From Front Right Tire/Wheel Area

denster2u

Any Followup on this issue?

I believe I have the same issue as others has described here. My 2010 Golf TDI is a 6-speed manual and has 50,000 miles. I recently installed new aftermarket rims and tires (same factory tire, but slightly wider 17x8 rims). The noise was even more pronounced after this. I had the tires and rims roadforce balanced with no change. Then I ended up swapping my new tires to new set of VW 17" Goal accessory rims. The noise is not as amplified, but still present. The noise was about the same with the original 17" Porto rims and worn tires. So, its seems that the type and/or size of the wheel rim can either amplify or diminish the noise. When accelerating under light throttle there is a very noticeable cowl shake and seat vibration between 40-50 mph, along with a faint droning/oscillating noise that amplifies with speed. (The steering wheel does not shake, only the cowl/dash and the seats). Above 50mph, the shaking goes away, then the noise gets loudest at 70mph on the highway. The noise "seems" to emanate from the right front, but I cannot be certain. I've had the front wheels off and inspected the axles, wheel bearings, and brakes and all seems normal. I originally suspected a wheel bearing or an axle, but based on input from this forum, wheel bearings and axles have done nothing to fix the problem. I also changed the fuel filter based on other threads and this has not solved the problem. I'm suspecting an issue with the flywheel or clutch plate at this point. I'm not going to the dealer for a diagnosis, since the outcome is usually the same - throw a bunch of parts at it and see what works. In this case, it doesn't seem like new bearings, axles, mounts, and tires have worked for anybody. Does anyone have any new input or a fix regarding this issue?