GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle delay fix is found.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
If by assist you mean kill the low end torque/spool, then your right. I understand why VW did this since small turbo are quick spoolers, which can be found to be torquey by some/most regular drivers but for enthusiasts that are performance focused, it's a low end performance killer while regular driving.

The reason more restriction helps spool rates is because mass flow adds resistance to the compressor wheel's rotation. Think about when you put your hand over a fan. It spins faster. Even though the induction motor moves into a region of operation that provides less torque and less efficiency, the lack of flow has put less resistance on the rotation of the blades and the fan is able to spin faster.

For the turbo as a whole, having less flow across the compressor wheel puts less restriction on the exhaust flow (because the turbine is able to spool up), which increases average cylinder pressure and torque. Then, once the compressor is spinning fast enough to be operating as an air pump, the extra air means more fuel and more power.

tl;dr: The flappers are meant to restrict flow which does, in fact, help produce more torque at lower RPMs. Same reason the stock or a box intake has more low-end torque.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
^ That.

Go drive your car with the intake flappers zip tied open, you'll notice an immediately apparent loss of bottom end.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
It must've got lost in the hundreds of PMs. I'll answer it here;

I don't think everybody is talking about the same thing. If this issue is fixed with a sprint booster, it is not what I was referencing. That is just accelerator pedal position calibration. The illusion of things being more peppy by overscaling everything.

Whst I'm talking about is different. I'm talking about the time from you depress the acc ped to the time the car actually reacts. I can adjust this on med17.1 & med17.5 so that as soon as you touch the pedal, there's an instant response and no delay. I don't include it std because it turns out not everybody likes it. It is an add-on by request.

Can you make this adjustment in the ECU on another tuners file? If so, will you?

I sent you a PM, btw.

Last edited:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
My suspicion after reading that is that all the box is doing is tricking the ECU into thinking the throttle is depressed more than it actually is, which in turn opens the flaps sooner at a given physical throttle position. Do you have VCDS by any chance to log throttle position? I'm just curious is all

I have the sprint booster and tried a quick log using APR mobile to see if the rpm changes when i change modes whilst (trying) to keep the pedal still. Didn't see the rpms move at all between stock and sport mode. For race mode i think it did. Hard to say as I dont know how steady my foot was. But you certainly do feel a huge difference in response when you go driving the car.
I can try logs with throttle position angle and rpm etc later again and see how the SB changes the signals to the ecu.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
The reason more restriction helps spool rates is because mass flow adds resistance to the compressor wheel's rotation. Think about when you put your hand over a fan. It spins faster. Even though the induction motor moves into a region of operation that provides less torque and less efficiency, the lack of flow has put less resistance on the rotation of the blades and the fan is able to spin faster.

For the turbo as a whole, having less flow across the compressor wheel puts less restriction on the exhaust flow (because the turbine is able to spool up), which increases average cylinder pressure and torque. Then, once the compressor is spinning fast enough to be operating as an air pump, the extra air means more fuel and more power.

tl;dr: The flappers are meant to restrict flow which does, in fact, help produce more torque at lower RPMs. Same reason the stock or a box intake has more low-end torque.

While that is a function of them, the issue is not that they exist, the issue is the programming of them. For the stock turbo(I can only speak for the stock turbo as I have yet to install my Stage 3 kit that is sitting in the closet), they open too late in the RPM range causing the turbo not to flow as smooth and efficiently as it can(and cause my car to surge forward when they open, especially in the lower gears, aka 2k stutter), so if VW would of, for ex., made them open at around 10% throttle/1500rpm instead of 25% throttle/2500rpm, this wouldn't be an issue.

Here are a couple of examples of users from this forum that did the zip tie mod to test and here's what they said, so I'm not the only one that noticed the difference/improvement, so take it for what it is, if you haven't tried, I would say try it before you dismiss it as it only take 2 mins to do and undo

Just tried this out and drove the car around all evening. I had no idea how much the runner flaps SUCK! I always wondered why first and second felt like pogo sticks. And now I know. This completely solved it. You will definitely notice how much smoother the car is with the flaps open. 1st and 2nd are finally driveable. Especially if you're manual. The car just pulls out of 1st so effortlessly now, I love it.

So i tried this just now and while throttle response greatly improved it did not solve the problem i described :s

Man, zip tied my flaps today and holy crap what a difference. What is their purpose anyway? I assume something for fuel efficiency? Really annoying though, hate the 2750RPM surge

Just zip tied mined to give a whirl and holy shit I love it. I understand in theory we should be losing power down low without use of the flap, but the linearity completely makes up for it.

I zipped tied mine open a few days ago & the car seems to run better. I have yet to get a cell & I have no cold start issues that were not already there. My gti has been missing upon start & still misses & hesitates throughout the rpm range but only with the clutch disengaged. Zip tying the flapper smoothed out my idle & even my wife noticed the car running smoothly. I believe the misses & hesitations are software related and am waiting for the 3.0 k04 file. If this doesn't solve the issie completely I'm back to square one.

Driver Motorsport

Ready to race!
Exactly. That is what we all want. The reaction to be immediate and responsive.
I don't know who these people who wouldn't want that is but man, that should be standard and I would expect most people would indeed want and need it.
Why do they have the delay in there if it is programmed in by software? What is the delay protecting?

So is it a ECU tune fix or a TCU tune fix? Or can it be fixed in both?

It is the ECU that causes what I'm talking about.

Afaik, everybody has their dislikes about the factory engine management system, we've tried our best to accommodate a few of the ones that seem to be more universal.

1) People don't like obnoxious CBFA cold start so we removed it (med17.x is confirmed, med17.5.2 isn't).
2) People do not like rev hang, we sorted it (med17.x and not med17.5.2, sorry GLI guys).
3) People do not like throttle lag.

Here's the main issue that nobody realizes. Half of the people complaining about 1 issue, are actually talking about different things. I'll give an example;

Let's look at throttle lag -

a) Some people with DSG consider throttle lag something called 'stalldrezahl'. Which is the amount of slip that the dsg produces when accelerating from a stop. This can vary depending on selected mode (D, S or M) and throttle position. I could fix real 'throttle lag' and people would say the software did nothing.
b) Some people prefer accelerator pedals to be very aggressive, such that 25% acc ped = 50% available engine torque and so on. I could fix the 'throttle lag' and people would still be unhappy.
c) The people who are complaining about throttle lag that are actually experiencing throttle lag. When this is fixed in the software, they practically want to take me out on a date to a nice dinner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's look at other popular complaints on this forum. There's one I've seen a lot recently, it is forum members experiencing a delay after trying to make a fast/hard shift.

I'll give a real world scenario, a buddy of mine stated his car had this. When he went to show me, the lag after the shift was due to the way he shifted the car. When I drove his car to display it, the lag didn't exist.

On the other side of this coin, I've seen logs from a couple forum members where after a shift takes place it'll take ~1.0-1.5 seconds for actual TB angle to catch up to requested TB angle. This doesn't look like the scenario I described above.

So what is it? Is it real? Is it not real? Is it software, or did the customer install an aftermarket part that doesn't play well with the med17.x ecu? Who knows. I know it'd cost a lot of development time to try to find it on a crap shoot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another thing to consider, if you look in this forum you'll probably see at least 4-5 things similar to what was mentioned above. The people who are passionate about these issues, they're the most vocal about it. Which in some cases, makes it appear that something is more of a widespread concern than it really is. A lot of things that I've spent countless hours on, due to concerns from forum members end up not being something desirable in practice. For example the Rev-Hang delete, when this is offered as an option by my brother (sales guy) 4 out of 5 customers don't understand what it is and don't want it as an option due to fear of the unknown. The ones that do understand and opt to get it pretty much act like it is NBD. Then, you run into that 1 customer, who was on the brink of selling their car if they couldn't find a rev-hang fix. If you were to follow the forum's trends, you'd end up completely confused with a lot of burnt development time :eek:

I am probably the most concerned with these nuisances than anybody else. I guess you can say we try to be the 'tuner of the people' and fix these issues. I'm an enthusiast, I daily drive a Mk6 GTI as well. I also understand, that as the new tuner on the scene you need to offer something new to set yourself apart and really focus on making people happy. This is why we spent time on Rev-Hang, Cold Start Delete, E85 files and developed the Golf R map sensor K04+ file (although, obviously others have caught on to using this sensor after we gained a lot of
popularity for using it on FSI and using it for TSI beta development).

If you read through this wall of text, you can see my dilemma. I'd like to fix these nuisances but they need to be narrowed down to a specific issue and everybody needs to be talking about the same thing. I wish I could make a thread with a detailed questionnaire and survey, but I don't know if that'd even be successful.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
While that is a function of them, the issue is not that they exist, the issue is the programming of them. For the stock turbo(I can only speak for the stock turbo as I have yet to install my Stage 3 kit that is sitting in the closet), they open too late in the RPM range causing the turbo not to flow as smooth and efficiently as it can(and cause my car to surge forward when they open, especially in the lower gears, aka 2k stutter), so if VW would of, for ex., made them open at around 10% throttle/1500rpm instead of 25% throttle/2500rpm, this wouldn't be an issue.

Here are a couple of examples of users from this forum that did the zip tie mod to test and here's what they said, so I'm not the only one that noticed the difference/improvement, so take it for what it is, if you haven't tried, I would say try it before you dismiss it as it only take 2 mins to do and undo

You know I wonder if the hesitation due to the flapper is carbon buildup related? I've got a bad surge at 2500 but I know my valves are caked with carbon and are in need of attention.

butchered by autocorrecr

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Good info there. Thanks.
In the forum it's often difficult to make the distinction between people talking about what they want for their cars with tunes and then you realize they are talking about it in relation to throwing it around a track and the all too common nonsense of drag racing to drive it in a straight line to get a faster time to a part of a mile or something. They seem to talk like that's all that matters out of a tune or a gauge on how a car should perform. Kind of need to filter that talk out.
Then there are what I would think is the majority of the people, who are just trying to deal with everyday normal driving conditions - which I think this throttle delay issue applies. And which I believe applies way more to DSG folk. Rev hang is not an issue to them (me included - nor would it be to me in a manual).

I think we just want the car to respond to the pedal when you press it when at a stop and when you go to accelerate after you have been slowing down to nearly a stop. It just feels dead and there is a dangerous delay before the car responds. That is the issue. Maybe I'm way off.
When I get in our mkv Golf 2.5 I am amazed how it is so peppy with the slightest press on the accelerator pedal and just immediately responds and comes to life. It's a much better and enjoyable car when driving around slow like that. We just want that response in our car. Isn't the mkv drive by wire also?
So it's confusion when people say we are talking about different things when its kind of clear and it's just about the everyday drivability of the car.
So is this (a) in your post? I don't notice a difference of improvement in D, M or S. I am also one who prefers light touches to the accelerator pedal - especially with the awkward bottom hinged pedals.

Definitely see your point that there is many displeasing characteristics to consider and people complain either way when you try cover things in just a mass common tune file. I guess offering options is the only way - within reasonable development cost

And how is it alleged that DSG TCU tunes can fix this when it is an ECU thing? Maybe a placebo effect?

Last edited:

Calkulin

Ready to race!
It is the ECU that causes what I'm talking about.

Afaik, everybody has their dislikes about the factory engine management system, we've tried our best to accommodate a few of the ones that seem to be more universal.

1) People don't like obnoxious CBFA cold start so we removed it (med17.x is confirmed, med17.5.2 isn't).
2) People do not like rev hang, we sorted it (med17.x and not med17.5.2, sorry GLI guys).

....Then, you run into that 1 customer, who was on the brink of selling their car if they couldn't find a rev-hang fix....

I wonder who said that??? :mad0259:

For the MED17.5.2, you did get the CBFA cold start half done(no initial high rev), you're only missing to turn off the secondary air pump, so with a little more time(comparing code to a CCTA MED17.5.2 version doesn't help?) I'm sure you'll get it. As for the rev hang, yeah to me, that is probably the MOST annoying trait of this engine. After almost 20 yrs of driving manuals, driving this car makes me want to burn it to ground sometimes, especial when I floor it in 1st or 2nd to a high RPM and have to sit there and wait for almost 5 secs or so for the RPMs to come down so I can let go of the clutch so the car doesn't lung forward like if I was an idiot that doesn't know how to drive a manual :thumbdown:

But what you said about the rest is true, people think they feel something and automatically think it's something without really trying to diagnose the cause. That's how I found the 2 causes of the 2k stutter, I spent days analyzing causes and implementing fixes. That's why I say, try the zip tie mod to see if the throttle delay is gone, if not, then you know it's not related to that and the cause is something else, like the DSG slippage you mentioned or something else.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
My suspicion after reading that is that all the box is doing is tricking the ECU into thinking the throttle is depressed more than it actually is, which in turn opens the flaps sooner at a given physical throttle position. Do you have VCDS by any chance to log throttle position? I'm just curious is all

Logged as below on a SB. Tried to keep my foot steady. Seems to change the throttle pedal angle signal and probably an exponential scale adjustment.

Button goes off/stock to Race/aggressive to Sport/moderate to off/stock