GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise from headliner

bbroecker37

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Ever since I bought this car two years ago I've been noticing a random ticking noise coming from the headliner that has been driving me crazy. I pretty much fixed all the interior rattles except this one. I have the sunroof and it appears to be coming from the area between the sunroof and the dome light. Usually, I hear the noise often when the car sits in the sun all day. When It's been sitting in the garage and I take it for a drive I hear the noise less. It sounds like a big raindrop hitting the roof or a plastic tick sound. The noise only happens when the car is moving. does it on smooth roads or over bumps. My only guess is something is flexing in the headliner. When I park the car I can't recreate the issue at all. I tried pressing the headliner, lightly hitting it to see if I could recreate the issue but it's silent. I'm pretty sure it's not the sunroof glass because I can hear the noise even with the sunroof open. I also lubed up the seal with Gummi Pglege and it makes no difference. I noticed someone posted on the forms about this back in 2016 and they didn't have much details other than removing the factory foam and shoving a bunch of foam in the headliner. I ordered some egg crate foam meant to be used for packages. I'm going to try the method from 2016. Does anyone else have a similar issue and how did you fix it?

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
TSB 2042441/12 from EU passat B8 seems to fit.

Long story(TSB) short:

Detach sunroof glass
Clean all the rails, contact points,etc. with G 065 567 A2 and then grease everything with G 060 567 A2
Clean exterior seal (on the black trim piece) with the same cleaner and lightly grease with the same grease and even it with cloth
Put back sunroof glass

Both (cleaner and grease) is ultra expensive, but I can recommend grease as it doesn't collect dust over time