GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+(K04) Impressions

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I'm getting pretty psyched to see what the Unitronic tune can do. Not so psyched about dropping another $750. Gotta pay to play as we always say.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Having my Snow kit pulled tomorrow and replaced with a Coolingmist. Going to keep my 60cc at the TB spacer and replace the 175cc with a CM5 post IC. I'll see how things feel with the APR 100 octane file, but will probably get flashed to the Unitronic Stage 2+ next weekend. I have the partial throttle 2 - 3k stuttering issue. Cylinder 2 and sometime 3 generate misfires on my APR K04. Plugs and coils have not helped. The issue remains on cyl 2.

The good thing is, my shop is tuning the kit on a Mustang dyno. I'll be able to have a baseline to compare to when I get tuned for the w/m from Uni.

Go you think the cm5 in to big in the TB spacer ? Only nozzle I'm going to run.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

allset

Go Kart Champion

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

I'm not really the guy to ask. I just do a lot of research before I invest in stuff and base decisions on other folks experience. From what I have read, I think a CM5 would be too much at the TB. I'm sure someone will chime in and provide detailed info.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
I'm not really the guy to ask. I just do a lot of research before I invest in stuff and base decisions on other folks experience. From what I have read, I think a CM5 would be too much at the TB. I'm sure someone will chime in and provide detailed info.

Ok all look more into it

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
What's the flow rate of the CM5?

It flows "280-340cc/min" according to Cooling Mist's site.

I think that's too big for a single post TB nozzle. The goal of a post-TB nozzle is to fully atomize in the combustion chamber to provide maximum detonation suppression/octane enhancement. Since there's a very short path to the combustion chamber on a post-TB nozzle, you don't have much time to atomize the mixture.

On the other hand, a dual nozzle setup can accomplish both charge air cooling AND octane enhancement if done properly. You can run a larger nozzle (when compared to the post-TB nozzle) post-IC. The goal of a post-IC nozzle is to atomize in the charge piping, which will reduce the charge air temps. But, since the mixture will be fully atomized (if nozzle size is proper) in the charge piping (pre-throttle body), it won't provide any detonation suppression/octane boost. You don't want to go too big on the post-IC nozzle, as you want to ensure it's fully atomized before it reached the TB, as the meth can cause issues with the throttle body if not fully atomized upon reaching the TB. That's where the post-TB nozzle comes in. You can run a smaller (when compared to the post-IC nozzle) nozzle post-TB, that will allow the octane enhancement since atomization will be seen mostly in the combustion chamber.

allset

Go Kart Champion
It flows "280-340cc/min" according to Cooling Mist's site.

I think that's too big for a single post TB nozzle. The goal of a post-TB nozzle is to fully atomize in the combustion chamber to provide maximum detonation suppression/octane enhancement. Since there's a very short path to the combustion chamber on a post-TB nozzle, you don't have much time to atomize the mixture.

On the other hand, a dual nozzle setup can accomplish both charge air cooling AND octane enhancement if done properly. You can run a larger nozzle (when compared to the post-TB nozzle) post-IC. The goal of a post-IC nozzle is to atomize in the charge piping, which will reduce the charge air temps. But, since the mixture will be fully atomized (if nozzle size is proper) in the charge piping (pre-throttle body), it won't provide any detonation suppression/octane boost. That's where the post-TB nozzle comes in. You can run a smaller (when compared to the post-IC nozzle) nozzle post-TB, that will allow the octane enhancement since atomization will be seen mostly in the combustion chamber.

agreed. too much so close to the intake for that nozz in the TB spacer.

i plan on adding the Post TB spacer to the nozz i already have by the IC hose by the outlet port.

Hyde16 did some checking for ko4 with our mods and something like 175/ccm at the IC bung and 65cc/m at the post TB spacer was recommended

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I would have to agree. That nozzle is way to big for a tb spacer. I don't even spray that much with a direct port setup post tb. I inject 60cc in each runner, and that is at max flow

patarch

Ready to race!
Reading these threads makes me feel lucky to live 10 minutes away from Unitronic HQ.

Should be finishing up my K04 install today and going in on Monday for my software upgrade :thumbup: Can't wait!

Hahaha I feel the exact same way!