GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Would it be possible to put R gearing in a GTI case? I really don't like how tall the gearing is.

As long as you’re swapping a complete set you can put any 02Q gears in, including Mk6 GTI which is my personal favorite ratio (most fun to drive).

You can also swap a AWD/PP transmission to non PP GTI spec, which is what I did in this video.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
As long as you’re swapping a complete set you can put any 02Q gears in, including Mk6 GTI which is my personal favorite ratio (most fun to drive).

You can also swap a AWD/PP transmission to non PP GTI spec, which is what I did in this video.

What goal would this achieve by putting a AWD/PP transmission in a Non PP GTI.. like what is actually different in the transmission..

Outside of lighting and bigger breaks , the manual transmission between the GTIs are actually different?? I’m confused 🤔

I sound naive but I’m lost in the thought of the transmissions being different

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion

So... You should be aware that when the time comes for me to build an AWD MK7 TDI I'll be sending you a couple transmissions.

At which point you can finally make yourself useful for us TDI owners 🤣.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What goal would this achieve by putting a AWD/PP transmission in a Non PP GTI.. like what is actually different in the transmission..

Outside of lighting and bigger breaks , the manual transmission between the GTIs are actually different?? I’m confused 🤔

I sound naive but I’m lost in the thought of the transmissions being different

In the world of “oh shit” there’re only so many options. When he broke his transmission he bought the lowest mileage option he could find, not knowing the differences it ended up being from a PP car (his car is non PP).

I go over it in the video, which I’m editing now since you guys all seem interested.

Have you installed any 4th gear supports or other alternatives to a new set of gears?

No, this is only my second 02Q project. Didn’t think potential leaks were worth the risk on my daily, & Mark (owner in this video) just needed his car back on the road.

He has a spare core now, so the goal is to go all out with that one someday.

So... You should be aware that when the time comes for me to build an AWD MK7 TDI I'll be sending you a couple transmissions.

At which point you can finally make yourself useful for us TDI owners 🤣.

So you wanna keep the long gears w/AWD?

That would be cool, I always dreamed of TDI swapping a Mk4 R32 (back when you could buy a blown motor roller for dirt cheap).

I’m actually not seeking this type of work out, although not many people seem to offer it. A lot of it is kind of a two person job to do it efficiently (my transmission took months, Mark and I tore down two and built up one yesterday).

What I’m getting at is if I build a shipped in transmission I’ll need to hire in a second set of hands (plenty of aircraft mechanics around here to help) so the price would reflect paying two techs a full day.

Last edited:

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S

Sounds like hypothetically you couldn't keep the longer 5 and 6 gears from a Mk7 with the shorter 1-4 from a Mk6? That would be ideal. 6th in the Mk6 was way too short. I like being able to easily get mid-upper 30s MPG in my Mk7

mrtuminaro

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI

I can’t tell you enough how awesome of a job you did on this transmission. Thank you very much, I’m going to install it tomorrow. Let you know how the first drive goes. Again thank you very much for your very hard work. Anyone looking for transmission work I definitely recommend GTIJake.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sounds like hypothetically you couldn't keep the longer 5 and 6 gears from a Mk7 with the shorter 1-4 from a Mk6? That would be ideal. 6th in the Mk6 was way too short. I like being able to easily get mid-upper 30s MPG in my Mk7

My donor input shaft being a different ratio (4th & 6th gear) didn’t mesh with the rest of the set, so what you’re looking to do may not be possible.

Each gear has a “pair” and each of them needs to be a match set.

https://youtube.com/shorts/CC1apgkNxRg?si=E41qhKPIuaRzzS9e

https://youtube.com/shorts/JSsaZEGj1dw?si=cO6vn42yDq2HlVYm

Mass_Paul

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf MK7 GTI S
Found another place I can add red accents...

1000010514.jpg