GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You've got me looking at sourcing parts 🙃. Since there is on-road calibration, is the donor vehicle much of a concern? Not sure if it would be better to try to get a camera from an Arteon vs an Atlas as an example since parameters won't exist for the Golf.
Some folks I trust did NOT recommend going to 2Q0980653C. The camera I have (picked up a couple years ago, just never got around to the install) is 2Q0980653 which they said is fine. I was advised not to go past 653B if I'm feeling the itch to update.

Passat B8.5 parameters were recommended to me.

Just scrolled through MIB solution and there's software all the way up 653g now, not sure what that's coming installed in these days. I think 5WA cameras are on the MK8 (and other MQB-Evo stuff) and I haven't read of those being retrofit (yet, maybe). I'll ask around and see if any of those higher 653x firmwares are recommended.

More edits. If it's something you care about, there are data sets that allow 60+ seconds of Lane Assist without needing to tug the wheel. The 60+ datasets are available for pretty much every 3Q0 software version.

I have MK8 steering wheel with touch sensors. So with 2Q0 camera I'll be able to use those which means Lane Assist will only require keeping my hands on the wheel but not giving it tug every 10 or whatever seconds. For 2Q0 (in a car without touch sensors) the only 60+ dataset is for the Teramont (Atlas) with 653C.

Last edited:

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Some folks I trust did NOT recommend going to 2Q0980653C. The camera I have (picked up a couple years ago, just never got around to the install) is 2Q0980653 which they said is fine. I was advised not to go past 653B if I'm feeling the itch to update.

Passat B8.5 parameters were recommended to me.

Just scrolled through MIB solution and there's software all the way up 653g now, not sure what that's coming installed in these days. I think 5WA cameras are on the MK8 (and other MQB-Evo stuff) and I haven't read of those being retrofit (yet, maybe). I'll ask around and see if any of those higher 653x firmwares are recommended.

More edits. If it's something you care about, there are data sets that allow 60+ seconds of Lane Assist without needing to tug the wheel. The 60+ datasets are available for pretty much every 3Q0 software version.

I have MK8 steering wheel with touch sensors. So with 2Q0 camera I'll be able to use those which means Lane Assist will only require keeping my hands on the wheel but not giving it tug every 10 or whatever seconds. For 2Q0 (in a car without touch sensors) the only 60+ dataset is for the Teramont (Atlas) with 653C.
Appreciate all the info! Curious to know if that recommendation against newer indices still stands. I haven't seen 5WA retrofits; perhaps it's due to the new ethernet stuff with newer/updated platforms...

The extended 60s thing doesn't interest me much as I would prefer to have better road marking detection and lane centring. People have done some questionable hacking (in terms of safety) for the 2Q0 with the touch sensors with respect to the warnings.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Appreciate all the info! Curious to know if that recommendation against newer indices still stands. I haven't seen 5WA retrofits; perhaps it's due to the new ethernet stuff with newer/updated platforms...

The extended 60s thing doesn't interest me much as I would prefer to have better road marking detection and lane centring. People have done some questionable hacking (in terms of safety) for the 2Q0 with the touch sensors with respect to the warnings.
I did some light digging while watching the final four. It doesn't look like we're going to be anywhere 5WA retrofits soon. I looked at a MK8 wiring diagram and it's not on ethernet, but something(s) about the FECs is handled differently on Evo.

I have 60+ dataset on my 3Q0. I would say maybe twice I've ever legitimately let it handle itself for 60 seconds without my intervention, and that was just to see how it did on a meandering road through some farmland. It was best described as... okay. And that was a well-marked road in the middle of the day, double yellows on one side and solid white on the other which should be the easiest scenario for the camera. I'm with you on wanting better centering.

I don't even mind the slight tugging on the wheel. But if the 2Q0 centering and general tracking is better then just resting my hands on the wheel would be nice. I'm NOT a fan of those touch simulators that are available from places that negate the need for hands on the wheel at all.

The full self driving on the wife's Tesla is remarkably good and it has trained me to give the wheel a slight tug every so often anyway. It's almost second nature now, which is not a bad thing.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
If you have the 3Q0 camera all you need is the adapters for the 2Q0.
Been reading some of the threads on this... is it not the case that the heater element (the sticker thing that attaches to the plastic that has to be trimmed) needs to be replaced if you go from 3Q0 to 2Q0?

1712528282694.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Been reading some of the threads on this... is it not the case that the heater element (the sticker thing that attaches to the plastic that has to be trimmed) needs to be replaced if you go from 3Q0 to 2Q0?

View attachment 302836
You are correct. Forgot about that. And I've got one Right in the box with my 2Q0 camera.

It's also been clarified to me that 653C is fine as long as you pick up a camera that came from the factory with 653C, which will be hardware H16. It is not advisable to update to 653C from any of the previous versions which would have earlier hardware. I have a plain 653 with H11 and have been advised not to go past 653B.

I was told not to go 653D or G on MQB. I don't have a reason why not. But 653Cs are readily available on eBay from $100-150.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
You are correct. Forgot about that. And I've got one Right in the box with my 2Q0 camera.

It's also been clarified to me that 653C is fine as long as you pick up a camera that came from the factory with 653C, which will be hardware H16. It is not advisable to update to 653C from any of the previous versions which would have earlier hardware. I have a plain 653 with H11 and have been advised not to go past 653B.

I was told not to go 653D or G on MQB. I don't have a reason why not. But 653Cs are readily available on eBay from $100-150.
Decisions, decisions. I see that mibsolution has software/datasets for 653C but only for the Atlas or Skoda Superb. I imagine the Superb is pretty close to the Passat, but not sure if that's advisable. Edit: Looks like there was some discussion over on Ross Tech about this and that involves some of the newer software and hardware... the mystery continues.

Do you recall if you were able to get the heater element separately, or did you purchase the plastic piece with the heater element from a different car?

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Acadia18 and @swcrow It's unclear whether this will work in the Golf or not but I'm thinking it will. Power connection in the fuse box, wiring and pins are included with the install kit and a can bus box that's also included with the kit. It has plug and pins to tap in near the gateway. Although once I verify which can bus it's on it could be tapped in anywhere that's convenient. The gateway is likely to be the most convenient because there's a cable that runs up to the HUD.

It has several different sized standoffs that'll allow you to mount it in a place that is level on the dash. I didn't look to see what it's in the kit to secure it. There is a note that says not to use it if you have a leather dashboard. Golf dashboard of course is not leather. But I'll find some sort of removable adhesive thing to secure it, maybe one of those gel pads or whatever that don't leave any residue behind.

https://mqb-blog.com/ru/2021/04/10/audi-hud/
https://mqb-blog.com/ru/2021/04/11/audi-hud-wallpapers/

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@Acadia18 and @swcrow It's unclear whether this will work in the Golf or not but I'm thinking it will. Power connection in the fuse box, wiring and pins are included with the install kit and a can bus box that's also included with the kit. It has plug and pins to tap in near the gateway. Although once I verify which can bus it's on it could be tapped in anywhere that's convenient. The gateway is likely to be the most convenient because there's a cable that runs up to the HUD.

It has several different sized standoffs that'll allow you to mount it in a place that is level on the dash. I didn't look to see what it's in the kit to secure it. There is a note that says not to use it if you have a leather dashboard. Golf dashboard of course is not leather. But I'll find some sort of removable adhesive thing to secure it, maybe one of those gel pads or whatever that don't leave any residue behind.

https://mqb-blog.com/ru/2021/04/10/audi-hud/
https://mqb-blog.com/ru/2021/04/11/audi-hud-wallpapers/

Thanks.

I love Audi's native HUD. I think it's cool as fuck.

That isn't it though for me, the pics on the first link show it isn't integrated enough for me to be a fan. More something that just sits on top of the dash.

1712676200586.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks.

That isn't it though for me, the pics on the first link show it isn't integrated enough for me to be a fan. More something that just sits on top of the dash.
Correct, it's not integrated. It's just neat... and I've seen exactly zero of them in the wild. I expect I'll use it maybe a dozen times, then never again... worth it (to me) at what I paid. Not worth it at the $850ish MSRP total.

I've had several of them on eBay watch lists for the better part of 2 years. One for sale by a dealer in Texas... they have re-listed several times, with same price around $600 OBO. I made an offer every time the auction was about to end and then again right after they re-listed. They stopped responding with counters last summer :ROFLMAO:. Then there are always units shipping from Europe but they end up over $800 all in.

Last edited:

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
I think 5WA cameras are on the MK8 (and other MQB-Evo stuff) and I haven't read of those being retrofit (yet, maybe)
I haven't seen 5WA retrofits; perhaps it's due to the new ethernet stuff with newer/updated platforms...

5WA cameras will not be possible to retrofit to older platform, because it uses revised CAN protocol, CAN-FD (from Flexible Data). Speed of data transmission is higher, and variable. MQB gateway is not capable of handling this communication

It doesn't look like we're going to be anywhere 5WA retrofits soon. I looked at a MK8 wiring diagram and it's not on ethernet, but something(s) about the FECs is handled differently on Evo.
FEC in MQB-evo is handled by gateway ONLY (theoretically, because I had problems with some functions not working after changing 5F in MK8 with only gateway FEC unlock, which 5F FEC unlocking resolved)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
5WA cameras will not be possible to retrofit to older platform, because it uses revised CAN protocol, CAN-FD (from Flexible Data). Speed of data transmission is higher, and variable. MQB gateway is not capable of handling this communication

FEC in MQB-evo is handled by gateway ONLY (theoretically, because I had problems with some functions not working after changing 5F in MK8 with only gateway FEC unlock, which 5F FEC unlocking resolved)
Gotcha, I was reading about that, switch to gateway "only" FECs. Making it hard for retrofitters one step at a time. I feel like plane MQB is the last of the "good for retrofits" platforms. And even some of that is getting difficult if you have early (let's say 5Q0 gateway) MQB.

If I could get hands on a Passat dataset (if there is one) for 653G I would try it, just because it always feels nice to have the latest. But I ordered a 653C (H16) anyway.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Thanks.

View attachment 302941
My wife's Atlas has the VW HUD and it's pretty good. It even does Google map navigation directions through AA.
Downside - you can't wear polarized sunglasses or you basically can't see it.