GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dustin's thread

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Nope wanted to do something different. Its a Golf R-Line bumper, the lower bumper flares are similar to the 35th Edition though

Wasn't going to be a poser with a R bumper on a GTI

I prefer the lines of this bumper to the GTI, it simplifies the front end. My stock bumper is in really bad shape, GTI emblem missing from someone backing into me, and everything on the bumper is heavily pitted from driving. The biggest reason, I don't have to finger the honey comb grill anymore when I wash the car, lol

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered some boring OEM aero (all the stuff you can't see)
-R32 belly pan / engine tray
-Rear axle trim
-Rear suspension arm covers (stone guard)
-Rear trim (non-resonated exhaust cover)
-RS3 brake ducts

1stVW parts is an easy one stop shop with cheaper prices than most other places. The Audi parts however were more expensive because of their ordering policies. I'll post the part numbers list once everything shows up. Or you can read through this thread, its a great read anyways.
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32812

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Nope wanted to do something different. Its a Golf R-Line bumper, the lower bumper flares are similar to the 35th Edition though

Wasn't going to be a poser with a R bumper on a GTI

to each their own. :D

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
hahahaha:thumbsup:

i love this thread though. all these pictures of mods are just so full of.. of.. of idk... SEX. lol

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
So I'm an idiot, I dropped my car off at AUTuning this weekend to get the Tyrol tie rods installed. If you are running superpro LCA you DO NOT need them, they are ONLY needed if you install the TT LCA. They are way too long for the Superpro/Passat LCAs, they would add a lot of toe to the front alignment. It was my fault Mike at Tyrol did mention it, although it was a one-liner in his 25-page build thread.

The Tyrol tie rod is on top and the stock GTI is on the bottom

The stock GTI outer tie rod has a threaded section that is roughly 61.5mm

You need a minimum of 28mm of engagement to be safe. I have a little more than 36mm after an alignment with the stock GTI tie rod.

Doh, anyone need a set of almost new tie rods? :D

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Install fail this weekend. I tried in install the misc under parts. Only one of the parts went in easily, the rest didn't make it on the car. The R32 belly pan was straight forward and bolt-on, everything else was a no-go.

1. Rear axle trim = if you have a Unibrace RB this won't work. I have a picture below showing the issue.

2. Rear suspension arm covers (stone guard) = be prepared to drill out a rivet holding in each of the emergency brake cable brackets. I wasn't so this is going in at a later date.

3. Rear trim (non-resonated exhaust cover) = need to be trimmed to fit.

4. RS3 brake ducts = I have Superpro LCA and VWR sway bars, meaning thicker LCA and larger diameter front sway bar. There isn't enough clearance to just bolt on. This was a huge disappointment, I'll have to go back to see if its even worth trimming to make them fit.

5. R32 belly pan / engine tray = perfect fit. If you buy from ECS you'll get the old style button head screws vs the new domed screws.

R32 side-by-side (PN 1K0825237P)

Since I had the tray off I went ahead an installed a GFB DV+ I picked up a couple of months ago. I got it used but the latest revision so all I had to do was install the included shorter spring and longer torx screws. Sorry no pictures, the install is so simple, plus theres a 40+ page thread here. At freeway speeds it really helps throttle response in the mid-range RPMs, especially from a roll.

If I can find one for the right price. I may end up picking up a Sprintbooster soon to see if that helps with the engine response at the lower RPMs.

Shibumi1982

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to hear about the frustrations. I put the rear axle trim on my TDI and it went on like a charm. I don't have the Unibrace though.
As for function I haven't been able to see much difference in the 200+ miles I've had it. There was one long freeway stint where I got 1-2 mpg better than I'm used to but I can't chalk it all up to the cover...just yet ;)

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I would have to hack up that bracket to make it work for what you said was a minor change in MPG. I may end up selling it, if I can't figure out.

In the meantime this finally showed up from the vortex groupbuy a couple of months ago: Tyrolsport Master Brake Cylinder brace

Shibumi1982

Passed Driver's Ed
I will keep you posted on my findings. I noticed my mpg was a bit higher today as well. I drive an oil burner so I might notice more that a petrol car.
As for your Tyrol Master cylinder bracket can you give your insight and opinions of this? I am seeking to add a more solid feel to brake. The TDIs brakes are a bit spongy...

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
It will be a little bit before I put it in, I want to get it anodized to stop the surfaces from getting crusty.

The MCB would help with some of the flex from the master cylinder but pads/lines/fluid would be a much better investment. If you're serious I have complete GTI spindle/LCA and front brake setup that would help with the brake feeling. I haven't priced it out yet but I am looking to get rid of it. All you would need is pads and lines, bushings optional.

twenzel

Ready to race!
Not sure I understand. One part you say, you can't mount brakes inboard on the rotor. Then in the next part you show a picture of them mounted inboard. Am I missing something here. I have a Brembo GT 6-piston BBK on the way and I have the same exact spindles as you.

This is where the caliper carrier mounts, the reason why you can't use Brembos or any BBK that mounts to the inboard side of the spindle (left side of image) Stoptechs mount to the right side (stock location, right side of image) so there are no issues.

Plenty of clearance from the bolt to the rear rotor.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
You're right, I was wondering who was going to catch that. I saw that mistake earlier this week but was too lazy to update the picture. It was a bad mock up on my part I was in a rush and didn't double check it was correct.

This is how they were actually mounted. I took this from inside the wheel well just now.

The Stoptech caliper carrier is outboard just as it is in the stock setup

The previous statement is correct however, to mount the Brembo BBK you would either need to fab up a custom caliper bracket or remove material from the Passat spindles mounting points. Brembos were my first choice but I also didn't want to mess around with custom parts if I had issues down the road. Hope that helps.