GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interlagos wrapped door cards

spiker369

on air, don't care
Did you remove the oem fabric before gluing on the new? what spray adhesive did you use?and did you find a diy on how to remove the door cards? Or did you just start unscrewing the door panel? Lol

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Those came out awesome, great job!

Thanks

Did you remove the oem fabric before gluing on the new? what spray adhesive did you use?and did you find a diy on how to remove the door cards? Or did you just start unscrewing the door panel? Lol

I used 3M #90 spray adhesive, can be bought at home depot or other hardware stores. I just glued the fabric on top of the oe fabric. I had found pictures of the plastic welds holding the door cards to the door panels, so I knew what I was dealing with before I started, and I found a DIY on how to remove the door panels from the doors. I can try to find more information and link it into the first post.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Someone pm'd me looking for more information and I typed this up.
graveshb said:
This link goes through removing the inner doors from the doors: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5095

Depending on if you have a 2dr or 4dr, the rear doors on the 4dr are almost identical to the fronts but with one less bolt holding them in. If you have a 2dr, I've never worked on one, but this link is the best I could find as far as removing the rear interior cards: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...I-GTI-Golf-2Dr

The pictures in that thread are really small but I viewed the source and all of the pictures can be seen here in a larger format:
http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/ts...?sort=3&page=2

As far as removing the door cards from the inner doors, they are plastic welded onto the inner doors and have to be cut/broken/drilled off. This picture shows the plastic welds on a 2dr, the 4dr has less welds per panel, but same type of welds.

disregard the arrows, but the lower circular plastic welds I used a drill to drill out the circular welds, similarly to drilling the head off of a rivet, if you're familiar with that, and the upper clips I used vice grips to squeeze the two halves of the clip together, and used a flathead screwdriver to lift the door card up off of the clip. I can elaborate more if you need me to, but it was just one of those things to me that as long as you take your time and work slowly and think everything through, you shouldn't really break anything, and as far as putting them back in, I just used 5 minute epoxy and made sure to set some weights on the doorcards so that they were seated well. Its not difficult, just requires good attention to details to make sure that the execution is perfect.

Also just as a note, the plastic retainer clips that hold the door panels on tend to break after removing the door panels several times. I didn't have much of a problem after putting the door panels back on the first time I took them all off, but now that I have removed and replaced the door panels 3 different times, my car seems to be creaking a bit at low speeds in parking lots, given I have an SPM rear sway bar on the hardest setting, but I am going to eventually order more of the clips and replace them to try to eliminate the creaking.

Last edited:

Ganiman

Ready to race!
At first I thought it was going to be too much interlagos, but I actually like how the finished products look installed. Very nice.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
At first I thought it was going to be too much interlagos, but I actually like how the finished products look installed. Very nice.

Thanks, thats what I was trying to focus on, keeping the look as clean as possible. I didn't think of this to just throw interlagos everywhere, I actually just wanted to bring a little more contrast to the interior which IMO is too monotone from the factory.

mipakr

Passed Driver's Ed
The top of the rear center armrest would be a nice accent.

Attachments

• imagesOF3TQWD2.jpg
    imagesOF3TQWD2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,419

Eric_Thompson

Looks sweet, HB. I've been told there's some go faster parts on the way..always exciting.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Looks sweet, HB. I've been told there's some go faster parts on the way..always exciting.

Thanks, yea, my build thread is in my signature, hoping to get the new clutch installed in the next week or two, the drivers gear springs should be in in the next few days and I'll install those myself, and I'm working on redoing the vinyl wrap that I did about a year ago.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
This looks really good I dont kno if I trust myself to do it perfectly tho... How are they holding up over time?

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
This looks really good I dont kno if I trust myself to do it perfectly tho... How are they holding up over time?

Everything is 100% man, honestly impressed with how well its holding up. Absolutely love how oe it looks and how much it does to break up the monotone interior. Given most people who see it aren't super familiar with GTIs, most people assume the car came this way.