GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: GIAC Stage One and AWE

Bender1

Banned
The below is a review of AWE and the GIAC Stage One tune. This is not meant as a comparison between tunes or tuners or to start a battle. Anything positive I say about AWE and GIAC are simply positive statements about them, they are not meant to detract from the other fine tuners out there. Additionally, if you see this as an opportunity to pitch your product ("we do that too! marketing talk marketing talk") then I pleasantly request that you GTFO..

About a three weeks ago I got with AWE to schedule a date for my tune. February 28th worked best for me and they had time available and it was booked. So yesterday afternoon I headed over to AWE.

Why AWE and GIAC?
There are a variety of factors that went into my decision to go with AWE. The top? Reputation. Though this is my first VW, I have been active in the car community/modding community of the Greater Philadelphia area for the better part of the past 15 years (since the time my old friends were starting to drive). Even when we were 16 and totally broke, it was a given that if you had a VW you saved up your pennies and heading over to Willow Grove to see AWE. Other tuners were not discussed. Not because they were bad, but because when you have one of the best in your backyard, why use anyone else?

When it comes down to it, and you cut through all the bullshit, the big three (APR, AWE/GIAC, Revo) seem to be about the same. So going with who can support YOU the best, locally, should have a huge impact on your selection of a tune.

The AWE Shop
I posted some of this yesterday as I was sitting there, but the AWE office/shop is a pretty cool place. The lounge is comfortable, bottled water and coffee (the good single serve stuff, not a day old pot of it) abound. Great music pumped in, as I described it yesterday it felt like I was in a doctor's office on the Moon in the future or maybe a doctor's office for robots (Alex - would love to know what that music was). Slick slide show of AWE's work presented on the wall. Everyone was over the top nice.

Alex gave me a tour of the shop itself and I was very impressed. Pure sex on display on the lifts: A V10 R8, an S4 getting a stage 3 build, a MK5 GTI getting some prototype work done, and a couple 997s.

The thing I like most about the shop is that the bulk of things are done in house. Turbo outlet pipe? Built in suburban Philadelphia. TBE? Built in suburban Philadelphia. Their stuff is more expensive but, to some of you, it might be worth it to have it built here by fellow enthusiasts.

The Tune
These are really very initial impressions. I only have about 40 miles on it at this point, but its a pretty even split between stop and go, highway, and backroads.

As you can tell from my build thread and my posts, I highly value when things are thought out, well planned, and well executed. The GIAC tune epitomizes that theory.

It feels stock. I do not mean that it the power feels stock, it absolutely does not. The power feels mind meltingly fast (I have tuned lots of cars, and none have had this level of response from a stage one tune). It feels stock in that it is incredible civilized. Power is strong and consistent. The throttle delay (that I experienced less than most) is totally gone.

The amount of time that likely went into this tune is obvious. it is mature. It is tight. It is sharp. It is, for all intents and purposes, perfect.

I am in lust and in love.

As an aside - I have used MANY softloaders over the years - the GIAC unit is (along with the tune) by far the best.

So now time to reassess and decide what is next, my thought pattern has changed a bit following the tune.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
It feels stock. I do not mean that it the power feels stock, it absolutely does not. The power feels mind meltingly fast (I have tuned lots of cars, and none have had this level of response from a stage one tune). It feels stock in that it is incredible civilized. Power is strong and consistent. The throttle delay (that I experienced less than most) is totally gone.

Bender, can you comment on how it drives in stop and go traffic? The throttle delay going away is superb news, as this is my biggest single problem with the car.

Thanks for posting a great review.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I was also suprised what a Stage I tune does on this car. I also really agree with this:

When it comes down to it, and you cut through all the bullshit, the big three (APR, AWE/GIAC, Revo) seem to be about the same. So going with who can support YOU the best, locally, should have a huge impact on your selection of a tune.

Took me about two weeks to find a good trusted dealer, and even though they are an hour out, its well worth my piece of mind.

Bender1

Banned
I have two complaints about the STOCK GTI in traffic.
1) The slight throttle lag
2) The feeling that in stop and go you have to be in the PERFECT gear at the right time or you will be just lugging along with no torque.

The tune solves BOTH of these issues. Approximately 10 miles at 40 miles an hour, in light rain, on a four lane road with tons of traffic and traffic lights (611 for those that know the area) was an absolutely pleasure.

The "zip" that you are used to feeling in 8/10ths of the power band now exists in 10/10ths of the power band and that "zip" is even more powerful.

Johnny - this comment is for you specifically - Vine Street Expressway and the Schuylkill would both be no problem and, if anything, would be EASIER to deal with post tune.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Johnny - this comment is for you specifically - Vine Street Expressway and the Schuylkill would both be no problem and, if anything, would be EASIER to deal with post tune.

Awesome. I find the stock programming frustrating on 76 in traffic, because I end up surging the car when I don't mean to because of the delay. Now to call and schedule a tune! :thumbup:

Bender1

Banned
Awesome. I find the stock programming frustrating on 76 in traffic, because I end up surging the car when I don't mean to because of the delay. Now to call and schedule a tune! :thumbup:

The surging will absolutely be gone. Now you just have to be more careful on the throttle. Light touch!

dragonslayer33101

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review. Now I need to schedule my tune, hopefully I'll have the money before the sale is over or else I'll have to wait for the next one.:thumbup:

Trainwreck

Ready to race!
I am awaiting for the 2011 tunes from GIAC.

Benders complaints about stock programming, I feel everyday on Route 422 in the morning.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
FYI - for those of you with a 2011 the APR tune (and I am sure the REVO tune) takes care of these issues too. If you got the cash go for it.

A

Alex/AWE

The below is a review of AWE and the GIAC Stage One tune. This is not meant as a comparison between tunes or tuners or to start a battle. Anything positive I say about AWE and GIAC are simply positive statements about them, they are not meant to detract from the other fine tuners out there. Additionally, if you see this as an opportunity to pitch your product ("we do that too! marketing talk marketing talk") then I pleasantly request that you GTFO..

About a three weeks ago I got with AWE to schedule a date for my tune. February 28th worked best for me and they had time available and it was booked. So yesterday afternoon I headed over to AWE.

Why AWE and GIAC?
There are a variety of factors that went into my decision to go with AWE. The top? Reputation. Though this is my first VW, I have been active in the car community/modding community of the Greater Philadelphia area for the better part of the past 15 years (since the time my old friends were starting to drive). Even when we were 16 and totally broke, it was a given that if you had a VW you saved up your pennies and heading over to Willow Grove to see AWE. Other tuners were not discussed. Not because they were bad, but because when you have one of the best in your backyard, why use anyone else?

The AWE Shop
I posted some of this yesterday as I was sitting there, but the AWE office/shop is a pretty cool place. The lounge is comfortable, bottled water and coffee (the good single serve stuff, not a day old pot of it) abound. Great music pumped in, as I described it yesterday it felt like I was in a doctor's office on the Moon in the future or maybe a doctor's office for robots (Alex - would love to know what that music was). Slick slide show of AWE's work presented on the wall. Everyone was over the top nice.

Alex gave me a tour of the shop itself and I was very impressed. Pure sex on display on the lifts: A V10 R8, an S4 getting a stage 3 build, a MK5 GTI getting some prototype work done, and a couple 997s.

The thing I like most about the shop is that the bulk of things are done in house. Turbo outlet pipe? Built in suburban Philadelphia. TBE? Built in suburban Philadelphia. Their stuff is more expensive but, to some of you, it might be worth it to have it built here by fellow enthusiasts.

The Tune
These are really very initial impressions. I only have about 40 miles on it at this point, but its a pretty even split between stop and go, highway, and backroads.

As you can tell from my build thread and my posts, I highly value when things are thought out, well planned, and well executed. The GIAC tune epitomizes that theory.

The amount of time that likely went into this tune is obvious. it is mature. It is tight. It is sharp. It is, for all intents and purposes, perfect.

I am in lust and in love.

As an aside - I have used MANY softloaders over the years - the GIAC unit is (along with the tune) by far the best.

So now time to reassess and decide what is next, my thought pattern has changed a bit following the tune.

Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. Comments like this make all the hard work and effort worth it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the software and that I had a chance to show you around, it was a pleasure.

What are you thinking about now? Last night you mentioned you wanted to pick up an S3 IC, is that still in the cards?

Btw: You should see the R8 V10 prototype now. :D It has me wanting to do bad things. I'll send you a link to the video when it is ready for release.