GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine break in

Carbon Blir

Ready to race!
Is there an engine break in? If so what is it. I have read a lot about it in general but I figured the VW people like you would know the best... I have a brand new 2010 GTI

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
its in the manual

woofie2

Ready to race!
Break-in for a TDI-
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

Translated for a gas powered GTI-

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 3,800 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 4,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.
-Keep rpms as close to 3000 rpm as possible when driving at a steady speed.
-Allow the DSG or automatic transmission to determine the optimal gear and engine rpm. It knows better than you... Provided you have it trained to be biased to the sport mode the engines shift points will occur at the ideal ranges.

Drivbiwire said:
First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 4,000. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm (75%) application of power is strongly recommended up to a maximum engine rpm of 4,000. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.
DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL UNTIL 10,000 MILES!

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 7,000 rpm power range. THIS DOES NOT MEAN DRIVE AROUND AT 7000 RPM! This DOES mean to find the rpm range where your cars best power resides. Most owners will find that the best engine operating range to be between 3000rpm and 5000 rpm for the purpose of acceleration. At all costs avoid using full throttle below 3000 rpm the ECU will attempt to prevent you from applying full power in this range, work with it and don't request it with your foot.
Continue to avoid steady rpms and avoid the use of cruise control. occasional application of full throttle (100%) is recommended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in due to frequent stops and acceleration. DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL UNTIL 10,000 MILES!

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occurred. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

Your first oil change is due at 10,000 miles DO NOT change it early! Oil analysis supports 10,000 miles as being realistic for a first change interval. Wear metals will remain at safe levels during this entire first interval thanks to the initial run-in and flush at the factory before the engine was installed in your car.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. [**TDI info-- The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 510 psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 490 psi meaning that most of the break in has occurred.]

60,000+ - the life of the motor
The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output.
assumed that 3000 RPM's is where the turbo starts coming online, and adjusted percentages to approximate numbers for a Gas powered motor.

rei

Passed Driver's Ed
Break-in for a TDI-
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

Translated for a gas powered GTI-

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 3,800 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 4,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.
-Keep rpms as close to 3000 rpm as possible when driving at a steady speed.
-Allow the DSG or automatic transmission to determine the optimal gear and engine rpm. It knows better than you... Provided you have it trained to be biased to the sport mode the engines shift points will occur at the ideal ranges.

assumed that 3000 RPM's is where the turbo starts coming online, and adjusted percentages to approximate numbers for a Gas powered motor.

Don't attempt a 'translation' - diesel engines have rather different tolerences and fundamentals than a gas engine. Read the manual.

woofie2

Ready to race!
Don't attempt a 'translation' - diesel engines have rather different tolerences and fundamentals than a gas engine. Read the manual.
the basic principals are very similar, a Gas motor has lower compression but not running it at a steady state and not wailing on the motor before it is warmed up properly goes for any motor.

I changed the RPM ranges to more closely match a the Gas motor's RPM range,

Every motor I have seen can be damaged by driving too hard, but the cost is almost just as bad if not worse when driving it too easy.

My Aunt's cars have had more problems with carbon and various afflictions from driving too easy.
My sister's cars have had problems from driving with both feet all the time.

While I am a spirited driver, I do not push the car beyond 95% most of the time.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
I read "Somewhere" the break in wasnt as critical anymore due to the tight tolerances and advancements in Engine technology.

rei

Passed Driver's Ed
In most gas engines this is the case though youd want to read the manual to be sure

Diesel, not so much.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
It is not as critical as it used to be, but the earliest miles are important on a turbocharged motor. (The manual says to take it easy until 1000 miles)

The cylinder pressures tend to be higher, so you really want to let the rings seat. I just passed 1000 mi and am now taking it to 6000 rpm, but I am still minimizing using full throttle to get there. I can tell that the motor is not as tight as it was when new, it seem to rev easier even at lower RPM's.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have any more thoughts or info on breaking in a Mk VI GTI? I bought one yesterday and I wanna do it right.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I'm seeing a general trend here:

- gradually increase your max revs while accelerating/rowing gears (up to 1k miles, ie no redlining until 1k miles)

- vary your rpms while driving, up to 1k miles (ie no cruise control)

- DO NOT change oil until 10k miles per the manual

Essentially that?

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I'll agree with the first two points, but not the third.

I don't really feel comfortable with not changing my oil until 10k miles, as detailed in this thread. This is especially because I plan to autocross the car in January/February, and leaving the break-in oil with all the particles loosened during break-in makes me shudder.

I will most likely change my own oil at 1500-2000kms and then take it in for regular dealer servicing at 8000km intervals, as recommended by my dealer. I'm thinking of buying this kit from DBC, which seems to be a very good deal, and I hear a lot of good about the Lubro-Moly oil on MkV.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
The 10k first oil change makes me kinda cringe as well.. I wonder what a good/safe compromise would be. And if the dealer would change it earlier than 10k by request? Say 7 or 8k

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
The 10k first oil change makes me kinda cringe as well.. I wonder what a good/safe compromise would be. And if the dealer would change it earlier than 10k by request? Say 7 or 8k

My car was at the dealer yesterday for the 90 day service check. Asked the service advisor about the 10k oil change. He highly suggested 5k between changes including the first. There is always the possibility that they want to make money from more frequent oil changes, but 10k sounds like a lot of miles between oil changes on a car that I own vs. a car that I lease.

Lots of chatter on this topic and opinions vary greatly. So who the phuck knows at this stage. I guess whatever you're comfortable with.

$79 for an oil change is BMW prices. I was definitely a bit put off by the pricing.

Last edited: