GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comparison Review: OEM LED vs Replica LED Tail Lights

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Being the first and only person to have owned both OEM and Replica LED Tail lights for the Mk6 GTI / GOLF. I thought I would comment on both pieces of hardware.

I originally purchased a set of Replica Golf R Tail lights because of its price. After receiving them and l noticed the lights were too dark for my taste. I like the cleaner/oem+, non racer boy look. After putting the lights for sale I was asked to take pictures and to find out if the rear fog light could be changed or if it would turn on with the car put into reverse.

When I tried to install the lights I ran into some trouble. The lights wouldn't line up to the body lines properly. I tried adjusting the lights as much as I could but they just wouldn't line up perfectly. The gaps around the lights were uneven and just ugly. So I thought maybe my car is the issue, since the quality of the lights themselves looked great for something out of China.

I ended up selling the Replica LED tail lights and ordering a set of OEM Cherry Red LED tail lights from Germany. Replicas cost me $410ish where as the OEM lights cost $550.

It took 20 days for me to receive my oem lights from Germany! I slapped on the OEM lights within 20 minutes. Not once did I look to adjust the lights, everything lined up perfectly with the body lines. Gaps around the lights were even on both sides.

On a side note, I personally think Cherry red LED tails look better than the Tinted Golf R model. On darker colors the Golf R lights look nicer.

Below are some pictures of both the Replica Golf R and OEM Cherry Red Tail lights.

Replica Tinted Golf R:

OEM Cherry Red GTD:

Here are the gaps with the Replica LED tail lights...

Notice Gap at the bottom...

Here are gaps with OEM LED tails....

PDPCEO

Ready to race!
thanks for the photos

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Wow, those gaps are bad. Totally unacceptable. I'm surprise you could not tweak the way they sit to correct them some.

What worries me about aftermarket lighting is what you can't see, the quality of the LEDs used. Last thing I would want are failed LEDs down the road - especially as they're not easily replaceable.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I also noticed that the LEDs on the Reps are slightly different size and shape. The gaps are definitely noticeable. When described I didn't think the gaps would be that noticeable.

Did you pay $550 shipped? Can you post a link. I am serious about purchasing a set of led tails. I really don't mind paying the extra $150 for a better quality part that will last the life of the car.

If you haven't sold you Reps yet can you post a comparison shot with them lit.

Thanks AXO.

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
I also noticed that the LEDs on the Reps are slightly different size and shape. The gaps are definitely noticeable. When described I didn't think the gaps would be that noticeable.

Did you pay $550 shipped? Can you post a link. I am serious about purchasing a set of led tails. I really don't mind paying the extra $150 for a better quality part that will last the life of the car.

If you haven't sold you Reps yet can you post a comparison shot with them lit.

Thanks AXO.

Don't quote me on this but the OEM Leds might be a tad bit brighter when braking.

Also, not sure why so many people dont want a rear fog. Weather in Socal is always perfect, but any place that sees snow or fog, rear fogs are great! With my car in the garage, I turned on the rear fog and it lit up my neighbors car across the street (~100feet away)!!

Yes, I paid $550 shipped with adapters. Check ebay.de

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Which replicas did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm ok. I know there's vacar and the ones from some Ed guy. Same?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

nockiboo

Ready to race!
Don't quote me on this but the OEM Leds might be a tad bit brighter when braking.

Also, not sure why so many people dont want a rear fog. Weather in Socal is always perfect, but any place that sees snow or fog, rear fogs are great! With my car in the garage, I turned on the rear fog and it lit up my neighbors car across the street (~100feet away)!!

Yes, I paid $550 shipped with adapters. Check ebay.de

Everything is in German, how you read and communicate with the seller?