GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR springs Review

SRT2GTI

Banned
Currently my car is having the springs installed. Once I receive the car back later today, I will take some more pictures and submit a review. Below is a couple of pictures showing how the springs are packaged and what you will receive.

To answer a couple questions:
1) I purchased the VWR springs through APR. Prior to me ordering the VWR springs they were on intergalactic backorder, but when I happened to purchase them, APR had just received their stock. http://www.goapr.com/products/springs_vwr_vaga5.html
2) VWR Springs cost $274.00 plus shipping, so I do believe they're more expensive than the DG springs.

This is the first car I've owned that I have lowered and I'm glad I did because it looks sooooo much cooler. Even though VWR springs are not an obscene drop, I was a little nervous on how the car would ride afterwards as this is my daily driver. I wasn't sure if the car would ride to rough or to bouncy, etc. My initial impression, is that the car rides very close to stock minus any sort of body roll.

It drives very smooth on the highway and feels more planted to the pavement then it did in stock form. Driving over some pretty bumpy roads, I was pleasantly surprised how refined it feels. It does not feel as if the car is going to rattle apart (which I was worried about). I didn't beat or her to bad, beacause it's 97F degrees out and I tend to be kind to my cars when it's that hot and humid, however I did take a few turns at 40 mph or so getting on the highway and she feels alot more "sure-footed."

Pros:
1) Obviously the GTI looks alot better lowered
2) Noticeable driving difference in the twistys
3) Daily driveability remains fairly stock (if not better than stock)
4) The drop isn't crazy

Cons:
1) I did notice there is a little more road noise coming from the front end. I'm not sure if that's normal for cars that are lowered or something isn't right with the install. (Perhaps I need an alignment?) Those who are lowered maybe could chime in. (UPDATE: Make sure you replace your axle bolts. I did not replace them during install, the driverside bolt backed out...wheel bearing assembly and speed sensor were ruined, which was the cause for the groaning road noise. After the wheel bearing & speed sensor were replaced, the car is dead silent.)

Front Wheel

Rear Wheel

Front wheel gap is a little smaller than the size of a golf ball. (Before the spring install, a baseball could almost fit in the front wheel gap.)

The rear wheel gap is smaller than the size of a golf ball.

[/

Last edited:

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Please get before and after measurements and good side shots even with the car. Not angled ones in the shade.

Thanks!

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Doooood!

I have my popcorn at the ready! This, I believe is the first VWR Spring review on a GTI.....one has been done on a TDI.

I am particularly interested in how the VWR springs hold on under a full load...multi passengers and gear!

Looking forward to review!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
New Bump stops? Probably due to the added deflection since they are softer

mkviken

Ready to race!
they look the same as eibach sport line springs. the box is even the same

i compared to VWR equipped car to mine with sport lines and they look identical.

i think these are just sport lines painted blue.

they came with new bump stops too but they're the same size as the OEM ones. i didn't use any as bilstein B8 dampers have in-built bump stops

trd420

Go Kart Champion
they look the same as eibach sport line springs. the box is even the same

i compared to VWR equipped car to mine with sport lines and they look identical.

i think these are just sport lines painted blue.

they came with new bump stops too but they're the same size as the OEM ones. i didn't use any as bilstein B8 dampers have in-built bump stops

IMO there more like the pro-kit painted blue

SRT2GTI

Banned
Added pics and review

Razor1

Passed Driver's Ed
Doooood!

I have my popcorn at the ready! This, I believe is the first VWR Spring review on a GTI.....one has been done on a TDI.

I am particularly interested in how the VWR springs hold on under a full load...multi passengers and gear!

Looking forward to review!

I've had them for about a month and I have had no issues under full load. I have not engaged the bumpstops at all. No problems taking hard corners with 4 guys in the car. Even took it camping in the back country on dirt two trackers with fairly large bumps; still didn't bottom out These roads were pretty crappy and I was the only one in the group not driving a truck.

Razor1

Passed Driver's Ed

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
Prefect drop, its not to crazy. Good choice on the VWR springs my friend

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
Kills me mine aren't getting installed anytime soon. Just sitting there in the box looking pretty.