GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My APR dealer messed up my exhaust installation but doesn't want be responsible. HELP

Craftsman

Passed Driver's Ed
**UPDATE**8/15
The management of this shop decided to refund me 150 bucks, as a part of installation labor. I feel good and satisfied, anyway, thanks Arin@APR, Todd@CummAutoRepair, and all of the folks here.

Hi guys,

I posted a thread last week.
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42717

Not only the bad installation, but also a safety issue we found during readjustment in another auto shop:

So last Saturday I went to a auto repair shop, I spent 50 bucks to readjust it, and they showed me what my APR dealer did for my exhaust. I am really mad. As you can see in the picture, this part of connection, the APR dealer just connect very tiny piece of metal. The length of connection was just fewer than 0.3 inch. I am very very very lucky that my exhaust didn't detaching from the car when I was backing home on I-96.

(Took this picture after re-install, just wanna show you where is the connection located)
Drew a picture, don't laugh me...

In the last thread, most of people said the installation was flaw, so I contact my installer which is an authorized APR dealer.
They said:

Yes, the tips are not the same position, that is because the system is welded together & can not be adjusted any more than we were able to.

This is a common thing with aftermarket and performance parts.

You could contact APR, however there will be little that they are able to do either.

Gentlemen, any idea about how to deal with it? I've been live in US only a year, this is my first time to protect my right like this, need help !! I spent 350 bucks for labor to install the TBE, but they did a terrible work.

And, if I want to write a complaint about this dealer to APR officially, how should I do? Who should I contact? Arin@APR can you PM me an email address??

Thanks a lot for your reading, I will be super appreciate for your replies!!!!!

Last edited:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
PM Arin@APR but now that the exhaust is fixed I'm not sure there is much he can do for you. I'm sure he CAN reprimand the shop that performed the install though. What shop was it?

A_Bowers

I believe you can contact Arin directly through the PM system here. There are several if not hundreds of people running the APR exhaust and I am willing to bet that they do not have fitment issues. APR has pretty dang high expectations for quality management in their products, and about the same expectations for their "Authorized dealers"

I would speak with Arin privately and then see where it goes from there.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I dunno this doesn't seem like a big deal to me? Does the exhaust leak?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
P.S. you're new shop has the clamp in the wrong place. Should be farther down the connection for better grip.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
It's not a big deal except for the fact that he paid for the install. If he did it himself or a shop did it for free it wouldn't matter.

A_Bowers

It's not a big deal except for the fact that he paid for the install. If he did it himself or a shop did it for free it wouldn't matter.

QFT!!!

I plan on doing most everything I can to the car myself...Clutch install is set for August 10 at APR....i just dont have the time nor the resources to complete this job in a weekend.

THANK GOODNESS FOR APR!

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I'm just interested to know what shop did the install.

Craftsman

Passed Driver's Ed
Community Auto Repair, Grand Rapid, MI.

I will update their response in future.

Can I ask them refund part of the labor fee to me because they didn't do a nice job? It this appropriate?