GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break-in Period

mortis

Ready to race!
According to the manual, "The engine needs to be carefully broken in during the first 1000 miles (1500 km)". I CAN'T WAIT:happyanim: . I'm getting tired of people passing me. 800 miles to go and counting.

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Time for a road trip... I pulled mine off the lot with 28 miles on it last Saturday though I test drove it twice starting with under 10 miles on the odometer :) I've got about 400 on it now and still trying to drive easy. I do rev it a bit through 1,2 and 3 but I hang around 4k rpm most of the time and haven't hit above 75 just yet. I've probably spiked in the red a couple times but nothing sustained.

The dealer said go easy for 600 miles then gradually ramp it up for the next 400. Not too specific. I wish the manual had a better description of the process.

Anybody have any thoughts on a true break in process? I'm also tempted to dump the oil right at 1000. It's not an aircooled engine, but if you've ever built a new engine and changed the oil after even a few hundred miles it can be surprising at what can be in there! Might be totally different with something from this decade though ;)

mortis

Ready to race!
I've been keeping the revs under 4k. Kissed 70 mph once or twice. I'm trying to be a good boy but my FAST keeps referring to me as a "old man driver with no huevos".

mylesw42

Ready to race!
Bah, I had mine up to 130mph within the first couple hundred miles, including multiple red lines throughout the gears. I drove it more aggressive during the break-in period than I'm driving it right now, but I work it pretty nice still. I also dumped my oil at 1000 miles (lots of breakin flakes in my oil), and I'm at 3600 miles now, haven't burned a drop. I plan on changing it again at 5000 miles, and then every 5k from then on in.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Bah, I had mine up to 130mph within the first couple hundred miles, including multiple red lines throughout the gears. I drove it more aggressive during the break-in period than I'm driving it right now, but I work it pretty nice still. I also dumped my oil at 1000 miles (lots of breakin flakes in my oil), and I'm at 3600 miles now, haven't burned a drop. I plan on changing it again at 5000 miles, and then every 5k from then on in.

^This

In all honesty, now and days after the first couple hundred miles you can drive it any way you want. The processes used to design and build engines in today's world far exceeds the processes of the past. There are people speeding off the lot in every dealer these days. The "break in" period is mostly up by the time the car gets to the lot. I worked at Mercedes Benz US INT. in Alabama and trust me, those cars are practically fully broken in by the time they get to the lot. Its just a matter of precaution cause lets face it, people are idiots. Hell there's a guy (We all know who he is) that slapped a stage 3 kit on a GTI with 88 miles on it and they havent had problems with it.

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
I definitely wouldn't disagree that the engines can handle more aggressive handling right off the block, but you can't put a price on the love and care you give your car once in your own driveway :) Whether it's redlining it from the start or carefully running it like a granny for 1000k. For me taking the time and miles to "break in" the engine is more of an obsessive compulsive action that I'd attribute to me being so super anal about every vehicle. It's also something that you only get to EVER do once in a new car.

My last 6 cars or so have been 35+ year old VW's with mileage ranging from 150k to nearly 500k and many simply unknown as the odometer only goes to 99k, assuming you actually had an odometer :( If only VW paid the extra for one more digit on their odometers. It would sure tell some stories.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I definitely wouldn't disagree that the engines can handle more aggressive handling right off the block, but you can't put a price on the love and care you give your car once in your own driveway :) Whether it's redlining it from the start or carefully running it like a granny for 1000k. For me taking the time and miles to "break in" the engine is more of an obsessive compulsive action that I'd attribute to me being so super anal about every vehicle. It's also something that you only get to EVER do once in a new car.

My last 6 cars or so have been 35+ year old VW's with mileage ranging from 150k to nearly 500k and many simply unknown as the odometer only goes to 99k, assuming you actually had an odometer :( If only VW paid the extra for one more digit on their odometers. It would sure tell some stories.

Oh most definitely. I agree. Even if the engine is practically fully broken in (cant say fully or people will have a fit) doesnt mean I will not baby it. This was just to relieve some angst about kids getting in their cars and being like ZOMG I"M 16!!! VROOM VROOM!!!

omes4life1

Ready to race!
I would say drive it like yo normaly would so the car can get used to the way you drive. because if you baby it for 1000 miles then start driving harder ur engine aint gonna be used to it being pushed that hard. ive had mine for 1 month i have 1200 miles on it the. ive hit 100 with it when i was at 600 miles and red lined it a few times. its better to prep ur engine for the way you drive if its fast or slow.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I accidently hit 6k RPM at like 200ish miles once, but after that I shifted at or before 4k RPM. Currently at round 350miles

xenon

Ready to race!
I hammered mine from the minute I picked it up from the dealer. Revved it carefully but firmly through the range of revs and particularly at or about the 4000 RPM mark. Babying the motor just makes it get used to being babied while you are driving it.

A racing engine is broken in by gently revving it up to max revs, holding the revs and then gently slowing down etc etc

Great fun...

DD89

Ready to race!
I just hit 600 miles, but I've been maxing at 5k revs and I haven't given it full throttle, but since I'm passed that, I'm going to start punching it. Even half throttle is fast in the right gear, I can't imagine full throttle, lol.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Don't forget you're not just breaking in the engine, you're breaking in the transmission, clutch(s), etc.