GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate fixed, sounds like a different car

spikernum1

Ready to race!
I took my car in for its first oil change and mentioned to the service manager that I'm hearing a rattle when accelerating from 2500-4500RPM, and that it sounds like a loose washer.

I didn't want to point out I thought it was the wastegate issue because I've heard they don't take too kindly to that. :iono:

After waiting 2.5 hours (wow) I got my car back and he explained the wastegate issue and told me they installed a new clip.

The sound from the engine is glorious now. I've already gone through a half tank joyriding between 2500 and 4500 RPM. :happyanim:

Highly recommended!!! I can't believe I drove with that rattle for 10k km.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Ive always heard something. But its not very rattly. Its definitely a soft, metallic kind of vibration sound between 2500 and 4500k.. I'll mention something next check up

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
Glad to hear they got it all fixed for you.

I have yet to have this issue *knocks on wood

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
After waiting at the dealer for about 2 hours, they claimed that they couldnt hear the rattle (what else is new). I was expecting my new downpipe in the mail that day. I knew they wouldnt be able to hear the rattle with a catless dp on if I brought the car back, so I said fuck it, I'll buy the clip from the parts desk and install it when I install the dp. That piece of shit little metal clip that probably costs 2 cents to makes was a grand total of 35 mother fucking dollars! No wonder why they get so stingy about it!

You're right OP, I never should have mentioned the wastegate rattle. I forgot about that damn clip, but now its gonna haunt me again... Thanks... :D

Sent from my HTC One X

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
Had the same issue and drove around for about a year before I asked the dealership to take a look. They apparently have people mention the tsb then the dealer can't always hear it, but they said they heard my rattle and would fix it. I also waited about two hours, but certainly worth it. So far, that is the only thing I've had the car in for besides the 10k maintenance.

BackToVWs

Ready to race!
its the Soundaktor.

enjoy your fake, low frequency vibrations, being pushed through the car's structure. almost as bad as engine noise being pumped through the speakers. the MKVI is not a race car, it doesnt sound good, the exhaust is tame, and VW has placed it in boring econo-box territory, sorry!

OMyGTI

its the Soundaktor.

enjoy your fake, low frequency vibrations, being pushed through the car's structure. almost as bad as engine noise being pumped through the speakers. the MKVI is not a race car, it doesnt sound good, the exhaust is tame, and VW has placed it in boring econo-box territory, sorry!

In that case, you should change your name to "LeavingVW..again"

Go sell your car and buy a civic if it's such a boring econobox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
its the Soundaktor.

Sell your car and change your name to BackToHondas

:dnftt:

SuperOcean

I took my car in for its first oil change and mentioned to the service manager that I'm hearing a rattle when accelerating from 2500-4500RPM, and that it sounds like a loose washer.

I didn't want to point out I thought it was the wastegate issue because I've heard they don't take too kindly to that. :iono:

After waiting 2.5 hours (wow) I got my car back and he explained the wastegate issue and told me they installed a new clip.

The sound from the engine is glorious now. I've already gone through a half tank joyriding between 2500 and 4500 RPM. :happyanim:

Thanks for posting and this is some welcomed good news! Having the same issue on our 2013 MT GTI for this rattle/buzz/rushing-water-sound at 2500-4500 RPM and good to know that some dealers are willing to repair.

Wanting to take it in NOW for repair and thinking it better to wait for the first 10K service to slip in/mention it then. Not expecting to hit 10K until November and will just deal with the annoyance until then.

Our 2012 MT GTI doesn't have this issue at all... go figure?

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion

Yup, I had the rattle when I bought my car new, it made it really annoying to drive with the windows down. Took it to the dealer and had the clip installed, problem fixed.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting and this is some welcomed good news! Having the same issue on our 2013 MT GTI for this rattle/buzz/rushing-water-sound at 2500-4500 RPM and good to know that some dealers are willing to repair.

Wanting to take it in NOW for repair and thinking it better to wait for the first 10K service to slip in/mention it then. Not expecting to hit 10K until November and will just deal with the annoyance until then.

Our 2012 MT GTI doesn't have this issue at all... go figure?

Why wouldn't a dealership be "willing" to do the repair on a new car that's under warranty? And why are you waiting until the 10k service to take it in, is the dealership far away from you or something? One of the perks of having a brand new car is the warranty, take advantage of it. :thumbsup:

McQueen77

Banned
Why wouldn't a dealership be "willing" to do the repair on a new car that's under warranty? And why are you waiting until the 10k service to take it in, is the dealership far away from you or something? One of the perks of having a brand new car is the warranty, take advantage of it. :thumbsup:

yep. ive had the dealer address a ton of little things under warranty and its added up to what would have been a shit ton of money out of pocket. use that warranty and don't take any shit from the dealers. they pretty much have to fix all these things unless you caused them.

Boomers

Ready to race!
I have the same noise, exactly at 2500 rpm. I thought it was an exhaust heat shield or something, what is the fix for the problem you guys are having?

RemixSkillz

I have the same issue on my 2013. It sounds like little rocks in a blender under my car. especially loud when going up the hill to my house. I hope they install the clip so the rattles go away. I only have 2700 miles on the car, ill take it in soon