GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Volt Review

A lot of you may be wondering why I abandoned my 19k mile 2012 GTI in favor of something that is slower, doesn't handle as well, and isn't mod friendly.

Well, a couple of reasons actually.

Buying the house zapped all of my mod budget away. Not being able to mod, I got bored with the car and wasn't able to have it live up to the original purpose, which was to mod over an extended period of time. Without that purpose, it became A-B transportation and in my mind there were other better choices for that. Zipping around everywhere was nice, but it gets old and eventually I yearn for something different. Just the way I am.

Even with a soft spring setup like the driver gear springs, which I swear rode better than the stock springs, the ride quality in my area was pretty crappy. I eventually got tired of banging over every road imperfection and bouncing over every dip.

Those who have seen my car list shouldn't be surprised by this move. I go through cars like crazy, always finding something else I want. This was my 2nd GTI, and probably won't be my last...maybe...

Originally we were looking at the Volt for my wife as a fuel efficient commuter. Her drive is shorter than mine, about 14 miles RT, and since I drive my car everywhere else, she would NEVER use fuel. Sounded good at the time, but the trade she had put her too far upside down for it to work. She wanted out of her 2010 Mazda 3 and actually really liked the Cruze so she wound up going that route. Have to say, really impressed by the Cruze. Having looked myself at the Elantra, Civic, 3, and Focus, the Cruze is by far the nicest of the group. The features for the money are outstanding and it's extremely comfortable and solid. She wound up with the loaded LTZ RS package. VERY nice car!

As for me, I was looking at either a 2013 Fusion or 2010 A6 CPO. I know, two different worlds, but both cars had things about them that I found appealing. I wasn't even interested in the Volt until I test drove it after the wife did, but I was instantly sold and the thoughts of the A6 or Fusion just left.

The ride quality is OUTSTANDING and I would go as far as to compare it to the A6. It handles really well and corners flat, which I can attribute to the low center of gravity from the battery that sits under the center of the vehicle and spreads out into a T behind the rear seats. I don't have to tell you the thing is quiet, as only an EV can be, which is also a welcome change from the GTI. You really feel like you are driving a very substantial very solidly built vehicle, you just don't have to hear it. Don't get me wrong, for certain cars you want that feedback and grunt, but the Volt isn't for that. It's for something else entirely. Cargo capacity is ample, especially with rear seats folded and that giant hatch opening. You can even remove the bases of the rear seats if you want it to go completely flat.

Being solid and an EREV doesn't mean it's slow. Not by any means. I mean, it's not a GTI, or anything in that class, but it's not a Prius either. 274ftlb of torque instantly available at any speed (no RPM's, no real transmission) feels amazing in Sport mode and really moves this car when you call for it. Of course driving like that drains the battery faster than Normal Mode driving so I usually reserve Sport for merging onto highways and the like, but it's there if I want it which is nice. There is also the L position on the shifter, which basically take the place of the brake pedal when you lift off the gas and uses maximum regeneration which slows the vehicle like downshifting a manual would. This can effectively give you one foot control, but living in an area with people who tailgate as a rule, I wouldn't use it in most cases as it does not light the brake lights. I reserve it for heavy traffic and downhill coasting to maximize my regen, but there are those in other areas that use L exclusively and LOVE the one foot control it offers. The Tesla does this by design and there is no other choice for them, but if you want it to behave like a normal car just use D. Braking engages the regen first, up to the max it can slow you down, and if you need to slow faster the pads engage seamlessly without you ever knowing.

Driving Modes, iPhone app integration, and all the features are covered here: http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html

I could go on and on about how much I love driving this car. How I haven't filled up in 13 days so far and how my current mileage is 149mpg and that includes the car being delivered to me with 71 miles on it, most of it gas, and using the generator for a few miles the day I picked it up, and after 1 long trip. Still have 85% of the dealer fill left, which btw can be seen via the iPhone app as well as tire pressures for each tire, oil life, battery level, current charging status and alerts. You can also use the iphone app to search an address and send the data to the car for navigation to use later. Lock, Unlock, Remote Start, Horn and Lights are also available in the app, as well as text and email alerts for plugging in and charging interruptions and completion. OnStar is included for 3 years, including their concierge service which I haven't used yet.

Driving the Volt will not satisfy performance enthusiasts (kinda, there is sport mode which I find really engaging, but again it really takes its toll on range), but those looking for a vehicle in this segment would do themselves a favor and check it out. Charging at home costs me about 30 bucks a month estimated (haven't had the bill go up yet), but I am allowed to charge at work which helps keep those costs down. Compared to 300 on fuel a month for the GTI, it's a welcome change. Honestly, just the idea that I'm not using foreign oil as much as I used to gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling :) I have also noticed that since I have adjusted my driving style to be more efficient, that I am a lot more relaxed on the road. I no longer suffer from any real road rage, as even if I had anger I couldn't do anything about it so I find I just let things go more instead of getting angry about things I have no control over. I'll admit, when I had the GTI and someone pissed me off, I would floor it and just get around them cursing to myself at their stupidity as I engaged in my own. Now, I just laugh at how much fuel they used to pull such a stupid maneuver and go on my merry way. I FEEL so much better driving this car. Yes I could have done the same in my GTI, but having all that power at my disposal would be too tempting for me. I have issues, what can I say.

I encourage anyone looking for a new car and has considered the Prius to check out the Volt. I'm currently averaging over 40 miles on a charge (which I hear will go down to about 30 in colder weather, well over my 20 mile RT commute), which to me puts it in a league above the Prius. You don't have to suffer from range anxiety as you would a Nissan Leaf, because if your battery dies you can just keep filling it up and it will run on fuel to the tune of about 37mpg combined. People have seen well over 40mpg highway when running on fuel. I haven't driven a Prius personally but I hear they are slow, heavy and have TONS of body roll. The Volt isn't "slow", feels substantial but not "heavy" and has minimal body roll. It really is an absolute pleasure to drive and I dare say it might have ruined me for all other strictly gas powered vehicles.

If you do consider a Volt, lease one, don't buy it. Yes you have that $7,500 tax credit if you buy, but when you lease the leasing company gets that money and it helps make your payment lower. It's costing me LESS to lease the Volt at a $42,000 sticker price than it would to lease the Fusion at a $30,000 sticker price. Factor in the gas saved, and you have a lower payment for what is in my opinion a nicer car.

I will do my best to answer any questions but I will not respond to trolls. The other thread I have about trading the GTI is for that, so please keep trolling there. Thank you.

TLDR: Traded GTI for a Volt. LOVE IT! The End.

Last edited:

topdawgx99

Passed Driver's Ed
good review. i know what you mean, i went from a 22mpg 0-60 second in 4.7 second (stock, but i was stage 1 so it's quicker) to a golf TDI. i'm getting 40+ mpgs, but i took a huge hit on speed. the first week i was really sad, but the more i drive it, the more exciting it is for me to see my mpgs go higher and higher, and trying to make it as high as i can. congrats on your purchase.

good review. i know what you mean, i went from a 22mpg 0-60 second in 4.7 second (stock, but i was stage 1 so it's quicker) to a golf TDI. i'm getting 40+ mpgs, but i took a huge hit on speed. the first week i was really sad, but the more i drive it, the more exciting it is for me to see my mpgs go higher and higher, and trying to make it as high as i can. congrats on your purchase.

Thanks boss,and congrats on the TDI!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Hmm well it all depends on what you want. I drove a few gens of the prius. And I found that car to be a fine point A to point B car. It does not feel heavy (its only 3060lbs, 700lbs lighter than the volt), but yes it is slow. 0-60 in 10 seconds or so.. is nothing to brag out.

I have to admit its nice to not be getting gas period.

And I have to agree with the whole driving pattern change. Ever since I got my TDI I rarely go over 70 and am more focused on a safe/efficient commute...

Interesting. Glad I got the last year of the engine in my car. I don't like first years, having had a few. They tend to have issues. If I'm still in love with the Volt as much as I am today at the end of my lease, that puts me in the perfect position to grab a 2016 Volt in 2015. That should give them a few years to get the bugs out of the system and implement new features. Perfect timing!!!

Hmm well it all depends on what you want. I drove a few gens of the prius. And I found that car to be a fine point A to point B car. It does not feel heavy (its only 3060lbs, 700lbs lighter than the volt), but yes it is slow. 0-60 in 10 seconds or so.. is nothing to brag out.

I have to admit its nice to not be getting gas period.

And I have to agree with the whole driving pattern change. Ever since I got my TDI I rarely go over 70 and am more focused on a safe/efficient commute...

Amazing how that works isn't it?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tldr ;)

jk - will check out later, sounds awesome tho!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
There is also the L position on the shifter, which basically take the place of the brake pedal when you lift off the gas and uses maximum regeneration which slows the vehicle like downshifting a manual would. This can effectively give you one foot control, but living in an area with people who tailgate as a rule, I wouldn't use it in most cases as it does not light the brake lights. I reserve it for heavy traffic and downhill coasting to maximize my regen, but there are those in other areas that use L exclusively and LOVE the one foot control it offers. The Tesla does this by design and there is no other choice for them, but if you want it to behave like a normal car just use D. Braking engages the regen first, up to the max it can slow you down, and if you need to slow faster the pads engage seamlessly without you ever knowing.

Hmm I didn't even realize it had this when I drove it, that would have been interesting to try.

Hmm I didn't even realize it had this when I drove it, that would have been interesting to try.

It really is something else, and I do use it on occasion when no one is behind me. For the smoothest drive though I use D.

Driving this car is like gliding in warm butter as has been said before by another owner. It really is a class above anything I have ever experienced before. When they say this has the highest customer satisfaction rating of ANY vehicle they really mean it.

"the Chevy Volt has the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any compact car, plug-in or not, according to J.D. Power. " taken from here: http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/02/autos/chevy-volt-lease/index.html

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well you're also riding high on the new car experience... get back to us in a few months. :D But glad to hear you're enjoying your car.

Will do! Don't know if I'll ever come down off of the not paying for gas high lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTInsuch

Banned
You're welcome. Good luck in realizing the ~$20k of gas savings required to compete with other brand new economy cars.

"The total amount of state and federal subsidies for each Chevy Volt sold is as much as $256,824 per vehicle according to a fiscal analysis by Michigan's Mackinac Center for Public Policy. All for a car that only costs $39,828
The $3 billion total subsidy figure includes $690.4 million offered by the state of Michigan and $2.3 billion in federal money. That’s enough to purchase 75,222 Volts with a sticker price of $39,828.

Additional state and local support provided to Volt suppliers was not included in the analysis, Hohman said, and could increase the level of government aid. For instance, the Volt is being assembled at the Poletown plant in Detroit/Hamtramck, which was built on land acquired by General Motors through eminent domain."

You're welcome. Good luck in realizing the ~$20k of gas savings required to compete with other brand new economy cars.

"The total amount of state and federal subsidies for each Chevy Volt sold is as much as $256,824 per vehicle according to a fiscal analysis by Michigan's Mackinac Center for Public Policy. All for a car that only costs $39,828
The $3 billion total subsidy figure includes $690.4 million offered by the state of Michigan and $2.3 billion in federal money. That’s enough to purchase 75,222 Volts with a sticker price of $39,828.

Additional state and local support provided to Volt suppliers was not included in the analysis, Hohman said, and could increase the level of government aid. For instance, the Volt is being assembled at the Poletown plant in Detroit/Hamtramck, which was built on land acquired by General Motors through eminent domain."

If it felt like I was driving a $20k dollar econobox I might have to agree with that, but it feels more like I'm driving a 2010 A6 which at the time was $50k (speaking from a ride quality standpoint). Which of course I can only say because I have driven them both, have you?

Comparing the Volt to a 20k dollar car doesn't work boss. It absolutely does not drive or feel like any 20k dollar car I have ever driven. Oh yeah, then there's that pesky detail about how this is one of the most advanced EREV cars in the world. The tech in this car far and away exceeds that of a 20k dollar econobox that runs on the same basic premise that every other ICE car runs on. What was the biggest development in that area recently? Direct injection? Real nice but how's that carbon build up? Oh that's right, that won't be fixed until the next version.

Ignorant statements will not help your cause, do some research before posting. You are talking about average estimated subsides per car on the date the article was written. What you fail to realize is this is not a number that will be sustained. This vehicle is unlike any other on the road today and while yes expensive to develop, the major development work is done. From here on out its just improvements and yes maybe new development as designs change but as they sell more and more of these, that number will go lower and lower.

I have some homework for you. Find out how much it costs to develop the tech in the Prius when that first came out. I'm curious. Maybe even the Leaf. Both excellent vehicles in their own right but of course foreign countries produce those, not us. I see an awful lot of Prius's on the road in my area. Lots of money going back to Toyota. It's funny, people complain we are so far behind and here we create this engineering marvel, something to be proud of in the USA and people are pissed we actually had to pay for the development. Should GM have flipped the entire bill on the Volt? Yeah probably. Sad they couldn't because of poor management and bad business practices. But if someone said I could have my tax money back for the development of the Volt in exchange for not developing this car, even not owning one, I'd have to say no. We need to start to make these kinds of advancements or we will just continue to rely on whatever the foreign automakers are willing to give us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's a little something to get you started on your homework.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120913/CARNEWS/120919910

http://gm-volt.com/2012/10/15/debunking-chevy-volt-myths/

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/02/08/myths-and-facts-about-electric-cars/185798

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD