GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 1.8T Jetta - This Spark Anyone's Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The new 1.8 feels a ton more lively up here at 5500 feet but I'm not sold on it yet, there's no way it will be able to match the 2.5's durability.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I get that it's a cost thing, but the nVH was pretty up there. Also didn't seem to have the best performance or MPG either. The power band was kind of strange to me. The 1.8t seems like a great successor as long as it doesn't fall apart. Also, from the 'tex days "the 1.8t nevAr loses!".

Maybe because I am coming from a diesel, but the NVH was completely fine for me. Also it has a lot more power than most cars in that segment (in terms of civic/corolla) but MPG is in fact lacking.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
the 2.5 engine's design is in fact bulletproof.
the intake design however is just horrid.
the piping runs over the hottest parts of the engine.

the 1.8t will be able to make more power, for cheaper. and get better mpg's
it'll also sound like a lawn mower while doing so :p

if i could trade my 2.5 for a 1.8t, i would, but not yet. I would like to see durability and reliability first...
i know tuners are going to LOVE that engine though... itll make some insane power with BT kits and really give gti's a run for their money.
it's too soon to say anything for sure.. but i feel a stage 1 1.8t will be able to keep up with stock gti's.
gti will most likely pull on it.. but it will be close.

McQueen77

Banned
I never drove the 2.5 so I have nothing to compare it to. The 1.8T is an ok little commuter but I wasn't impressed with the car overall. Pretty cheap and down market when you are used to a GTI. I drove the SE, and there are just annoying, seemingly random cost cutting measures like making it a one sided multi function steering wheel so you have to use the stock for the other functions which is cumbersome. Little things like that. MF display circa 1994... Seemed kind of mushy in the handling dept. but the ride was nice and the power for a DD is fine.

Definitely didn't walk away from that drive wanting the car. Same automatic trans as in the Tiguan but with less power and that combo blows pretty hard. The car was in 6th gear right away, doing about 30mph on a flat surface and the engine was basically lugging, thumping along.. Jab the throttle a little and instead of finding a lower gear and staying there, it hunted around, kicked down too many gears etc. Most people won't care about any of that though.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
the 2.5 engine's design is in fact bulletproof.
the intake design however is just horrid.
the piping runs over the hottest parts of the engine.

That seems like such a odd statement, the engine is bullet proof and will work forever but the intake sucks... who gives a shit? The 2.5 is not a performance engine, it's a base model engine or base model cars that will keep running until the car falls apart around it. Use it how it's meant to be used and quit trying to build a ricecar and the intake routing doesn't matter (either way it's no worse the FSI or TSI)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Definitely didn't walk away from that drive wanting the car. Same automatic trans as in the Tiguan but with less power and that combo blows pretty hard. The car was in 6th gear right away, doing about 30mph on a flat surface and the engine was basically lugging, thumping along.. Jab the throttle a little and instead of finding a lower gear and staying there, it hunted around, kicked down too many gears etc. Most people won't care about any of that though.

The loaner car I have has about 1300 miles on the clock. It doesn't lag that bad, so it might just be a break in thing. It will go all the way down to 1200 RPM in top gear, which is pretty crazy. The turbo manages to build boost VERY early in the RPM band though.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
That seems like such a odd statement, the engine is bullet proof and will work forever but the intake sucks... who gives a shit? The 2.5 is not a performance engine, it's a base model engine or base model cars that will keep running until the car falls apart around it. Use it how it's meant to be used and quit trying to build a ricecar and the intake routing doesn't matter (either way it's no worse the FSI or TSI)

The shitty intake design causes a lot of lag.
Imagine the engine trying to pull through and all it sucks in is hot air.

And stop dissing the 2.5 and making the GTI seem like a race car. The 2.0t isn't a Racecar engine either lol

Sent via my hairs.

McQueen77

Banned
The shitty intake design causes a lot of lag.
Imagine the engine trying to pull through and all it sucks in is hot air.

And stop dissing the 2.5 and making the GTI seem like a race car. The 2.0t isn't a Racecar engine either lol

Sent via my hairs.

Would you care to clarify for us what your technical definition is of an engine "pulling through"?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
dissing the 2.5? an economy motor that is good at what does... no comprende, dude.

And yeah.. pullin' through... it's a base motor.. for econo / primarily commuter car... not following you... its like the owner of a Mitsubishi Lancer saying the same thing.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking forward to driving the MK7 Golf with the 1.8t. It may be a viable option for my next car.

McQueen77

Banned
dissing the 2.5? an economy motor that is good at what does... no comprende, dude.

And yeah.. pullin' through... it's a base motor.. for econo / primarily commuter car... not following you... its like the owner of a Mitsubishi Lancer saying the same thing.

hey bro... just take it easy. those lancers are mad fast yo, esp with the top down...

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion

What engine comes in a bare bone base golf? What engine came in bare bones Jetta for years and years? What engine comes in the most basic Passats and Sportwagens? Unknot your twat lips, I'm not "dissing" the 2.5 for being a base engine, in fact I said it will outlast the care. I 1000% think the 2.5 engine is a better engine than the 2.0T (which is why we bought one for my wife - low maintenance and bullet proof).

Nobody mentioned racecar except you.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
base golf? 2.5
base jetta? 2.slow
vw still has a slower engine than the 2.5
intake design does matter.. hence the idea of a CAI. the 2.0t intake doesnt change the air path as much as it does on the 2.5
and you did bring up racecar and told me to stop trying to make my 2.5 into a racecar.. and that right there, makes you sound like all the conceded stuck up gti owners that think their gti is "all that" and is "fast" (yes they do exist... and we all know it)
im not saying you are, because i know youre not. you know what the 2.5 is capable of and so do i.
it's not really an economy engine when it gets worse mileage than the 2.slow and the tsi...
it also has the worst mileage(or one of the worst) in it's class.
it's a power and fuel hungry engine.

anyways.. back to the 1.8t
i heard it's very similar, in fact it's almost exactly the same to the new ea888 2.0t that's coming in the mk7 gti.
is this true?

McQueen77

Banned
^^Dude the guy works on these cars for a living. The 2.0T stock air intake has like 3 bends and a ridiculously convoluted airflow to the MAF and even then, an intake hardly makes a difference until you are pulling K04 level air so what are you even talking about? A CAI may be a slight improvement but it isn't going to make your car stop being an economy hatchback. Only in America do people try and pretend their Golfs are special or something. They are a dime a dozen in Germany, the UK, Australia, etc. and are seen as nothing more than reliable transportation. You have the worst avatar in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.