GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Challenger Hellcat Official

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
They're both 2+2 pony cars, get a pulley and tune for the Cobra and it'll run with a Hellcat.
Ok...so do a pulley and a tune for the hellcat and it will still be faster. And the Challenger is not a pony car. It's the closest you can get to a muscle car in this day and age. It's MUCH bigger then the Mustang and has rear seats that can actually fit adults.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I don't know how much faster you can get on street tires.

And the Challenger is wider, yes, but it's still the same class of car.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
I don't know how much faster you can get on street tires.

And the Challenger is wider, yes, but it's still the same class of car.
Other then both being two doors, the challenger is longer, heavier, and much bigger inside. It's actually not wider. They also drive vastly different and appeal to different audiences. And the Challenger 11.20 run was done on the 275 series all season. The 10.80 was on a drag radial which is still a street tire. It's a quick car. Still handles like shit I bet.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Other then both being two doors, the challenger is longer, heavier, and much bigger inside. It's actually not wider. They also drive vastly different and appeal to different audiences. And the Challenger 11.20 run was done on the 275 series all season. The 10.80 was on a drag radial which is still a street tire. It's a quick car. Still handles like shit I bet.

Still a 2+2 pony car and I'd take a Mustang any day of the week but the huge trunk of the Challenger makes it compelling if I needed a car like that.

No one's arguing that it's not fast, I just don't see the logic of blowing $70k on a car that handles like shit when its one trick is 700 straight line horsepower that can be done fairly easily with a Summit catalog for a lot less. It's neither as luxurious as other cars in its price point nor as fast as any of the cars at my local track built for 1320 straight feet.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
As the CEO of Dodge stated in many interviews. They weren't trying to take away the car's heavy feel because some people actually didn't mind it. There was just the 5% that felt it was too heavy and in turn lacked the performance of others in it's class. So they corrected that 5% with a sh!t load of horsepower. More or less it is the same car it always was and that isn't such a bad thing for many Challenger owners who believe it or not, enjoy the way it was and didn't care that it didn't have the powa.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
For some reason I wish I had a bunch of cash laying around (I do but that's for eventually buying somewhere to live) so that I could build my own version of a Hellcat. The retail MSRPs for $63k but let's be honest, the dealer markups - at least in my area - will be horrific and the insurance might be just as scary.

So for that price, what does a base V8 sell for? And if you're going to get a built tranny, rear end, axle, rear suspension, and spec out the engine for boost you might as well just buy a built shortblock anyway and get the V6. Now you get your own cams, heads, and a really big Procharger. A custom dyno tune, factor in another couple of thousand for bigger front brakes, big rear tires, gauges, chip, and you might be able to skip the gaudy hood.

What's all that cost? I know from my Mustang days you could get a blown 351 for less than $15k that would easily do 700hp, on a car that costs $26k I just don't see the value in buying this thing from the factory when it's going to cost you closer to $70k from a dealership.

I hear ya.... but one word:

WARRANTY.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Not to mention the resell value. You buy a V6 and build the shit out of it and you still have V6 value. I am sure a Hellcat will retain decent value.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion

The Genesis is not a Pony car. The Challenger is not a Pony car. The Dodge Valiant was a pony car. Challenger is a muscle car. Those publications and Chrysler themselves are all wrong.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
haven't read thread... but there should be one about the Charger Hellcat.. and how it should be MT. That is all.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
The Genesis is not a Pony car. The Challenger is not a Pony car. The Dodge Valiant was a pony car. Challenger is a muscle car. Those publications and Chrysler themselves are all wrong.

Okay.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

Are you saying that a 300hp, 280lb-ft 4300lb car that can't break a 15 second 1/4 mile or 95 mph trap speeds is a muscle car?! :lol: :lol: