GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Subaru WRX STI leaked!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Hey-o! I know a couple places in LA like that.

It makes sense that new current gen car prices will jump a little near the end of the productio run, especially when the replacement is fugly. A $5k difference in prices 500 miles apart in the same state shouldn't happen unless new sti buyers and sellers don't use the internet.

Americans are extremely lazy and impatient.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Meh the front end looks like subaru had an evo and a new corolla laying around that they and decided to make a new car with.

Balt21

Ready to race!
Well, the official reveal is out. 305/290 from a 2.5l with the 6 speed manual. Since it's a 2.5, I'm guessing the engine is still the ej257. The seats look to have a bit more support than the outgoing model, which is good. I wonder if that is one of the "launch editions" they're showing pictures of. It looks like the seats have blue on them; I thought I read others will have red.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-detroit-2014/

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
naw. when i was looking at wrx and sti a while back my 2 local dealers quoted 2000 off an STI if i bought one. thats after wearing them down for a week.

Sedan or hatch?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
so on paper the STI is worse than a golf R...

NO dsg
Worse MPG
prob slower due to lack of dsg...
hmmm

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
sedan. hatches were SUPER rare.

Yea the sedans were much easier to come by... but I hate the styling of it, it looks like a total boy racer with a stuck on wing.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Yea the sedans were much easier to come by... but I hate the styling of it, it looks like a total boy racer with a stuck on wing.

one main reason i didnt make a stupid decision was because of that embarassing wing.. and it looks like its just as big or even bigger now... but a wing delete would be a pretty fucking nice looking sedan.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
one main reason i didnt make a stupid decision was because of that embarassing wing.. and it looks like its just as big or even bigger now... but a wing delete would be a pretty fucking nice looking sedan.

Given the current specs, I would be incredibly hard pressed picking the STI over the WRX...
Boring carry over engine that gets inferior MPG while barely producing more power.
Same transmission
Body is pretty much same...
meh

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Given the current specs, I would be incredibly hard pressed picking the STI over the WRX...
Boring carry over engine that gets inferior MPG while barely producing more power.
Same transmission
Body is pretty much same...
meh

so the only advantage is better brakes and better AWD?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
well.. i guess you could buy a big brake kit for your WRX for less than the cost of an STI upgrade..

Balt21

Ready to race!
so the only advantage is better brakes and better AWD?

From what I read yep...

well.. i guess you could buy a big brake kit for your WRX for less than the cost of an STI upgrade..

The STi also has a quicker (hydraulic vs the wrx's electric) steering rack, different suspension and chassis tuning, BBS wheels (on launch and limited trims), LED lowbeams, leather/alcantara heated seats, heated mirrors, dual zone climate control, and optional keyless start.

Performance wise, the STi has always had a little bit more power, better AWD/diffs, better trans, and better brakes as the main selling points. That is nothing new, the only difference is the transmission is the same now. You could buy the big brake kit aftermarket, but you will be close to the price difference if you do both the front/back brakes and you won't have the better diffs.

Engine wise, only time will tell if they put a different tune on the STi or addressed any of it's issues. The WRX is unproven in the form it will be appearing. I do think it's a shame they didn't put a new motor in the STi though.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-photos-and-info-news

Last edited: