GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

After a little over a year and 18k miles, trading in...

...for a VOLT.

Yes, a VOLT.

Wife wanted a new car, she wound up with the new Chevy Cruze which I have to say is extremely impressive for its price and its segment. I personally was looking at the 2013 Fusion, but because that's a first year there are no deals to be had and honestly, it will work out to be cheaper to get into a car that cost 10k dollars more on a lease. And because we just got a car through that same dealer, they were more willing to work on pricing.

Picking this up as soon as I can get my car back to stock. Look for a part out thread to follow as soon as I can get this stuff off the car. I only have until the end of the month to get the car back to stock, so it will be soon.

I'm going to miss the pure power the GTI provides, I will not miss the ride quality. The tech in the Volt is substantially better, even with me opting out of any nanny systems like lane keeping assist and collision detection. I can drive my own car thanks. Bose stereo, navigation, leather and heated seats are the only options I need.

Pics here: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=869799&postcount=93

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dafuq?

I wasn't a huge fan of the back seat and trunk of the Volt.

But I suppose for some ppl this car does make sense, while it makes no fiscal sense.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
I test drove the volt... HATE it... Sloppy ride, plastic everywhere, and you can go almost twice as far in a tdi

If you love plastic...this is the car for you!

Neat tech.....but plastic in abundance.

Sad to see you go!

Thanks boss. Yeah, it's not all high end inside like a VW or Audi product, but for our current situation, and what I'm seeking, it's an excellent choice.

I'll probably be back after the lease is up. I do this all the time. I get a car, love it for a bit, then trade it for something else. I'll likely keep the Volt the entire term but who knows what happens in 3 years. I had an 06 GTI, left and came back.

Dafuq?

I wasn't a huge fan of the back seat and trunk of the Volt.

But I suppose for some ppl this car does make sense, while it makes no fiscal sense.

Don't need the back seat. It's rare there's someone besides my wife and I in our car. I like 4 doors for storage access mostly. If we are going somewhere with a lot of people we'd probably take the wife's car. We are not having kids so no back seat is no big deal. I actually really liked the trunk, very spacious with the seats folded. For certain families this car makes no sense. For me it makes tons, see below.

I test drove the volt... HATE it... Sloppy ride, plastic everywhere, and you can go almost twice as far in a tdi

Sloppy ride? Which year did you drive? I thought the ride was very smooth and flat on corners, but then again you don't buy one of these for handling. TDI is nice, but with my current commute I'd never use a drop of gas. Going on trips yeah, it gets about 37mpg when the generator is running, but you have to factor in a charge with that so it works out to something like 98mpg.

My current commute is 22 miles round trip. Even in the dead of winter, with everything on, I would be able to commute every single week day and never have to use gas on that commute. Longer trips, 98mpg. It's not all about the mileage though, it had to be comfortable and come with the options I wanted, which it does.

McQueen77

Banned
bummer brah.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
so expensive. I'd do a prius hands down over one of these bad boys. But alas, you have to do whats best for you and what makes you happy.

You get that $249 subsidized lease that was in the news recently about GM taking a loss on these?

My mileage requirements didn't allow it. We are still saving money per month and using less gas is something that makes me very happy considering the rape at the pump. Makes it worth every penny to give a big fuck you to the oil companies and Wall Street speculators. That and it's cool as hell. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I stop reading after you said wife... nuff said

Interesting move. Lose a ton on the gti?

Not as much as I thought I would. You'd be surprised at the difference in trade values between dealers.

so expensive. I'd do a prius hands down over one of these bad boys. But alas, you have to do whats best for you and what makes you happy.

Prius still runs on gas every day. My commute allows me to run all electric all the time. It's rare I do more than 30 miles in a day. It's the longer trips that will use gas for me and based on my fill ups with the Volkswagen tracked on Fuelly, I'll still be saving more than the monthly payment difference. At 37mpg after the battery it's more cost saving than a Prius. I like the Prius but I like the volt better.

It's well known a hybrid is more expensive to own, but there are other benefits and while some of those benefits may not directly benefit me, every little bit helps.