GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

C&D review the 9th gen SI(will not happy at all)

CanpakesGTI

Ready to race!
owned a 2009 civic si..did i/h/e and flash pro (around 2 grand worth of mods) which barely felt like it did anything

vs

my gti where I spent 600 bucks on stage 1 and I can say 100% that the money was well spent.

aside from the obvious turbo vs na advantage of the gti, other things I HATED, was the civic's tranny..2nd gear and 3rd gear grinding on a daily basis was no bueno..worst synchros ever. Also, my honda was broken into TWICE during the time I had it...even with a viper alarm system.

needless to say, i'll never own a honda again, lol.

McQueen77

Banned

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think its about 2850 lbs, which is 200-250lbs lighter than a GTI with comparable space. It is also about as fast as a GTI out of the box....

I don't think its fat... But I will agree with ugly, outside and in.

Haha, the GTI is chubby too, but at least it's got that German solidness about it (and has midrange torque, thanks to its turbo).

The Si is a normally-aspirated Japanese compact, it should be in the 2600 lb range IMO. What happened to the lightweight Japanese sport compacts, like the Celica, Integra, Civic, Miata? With more stringent EPA standards in the pipeline, you would think the Japanese manufacturers would be flocking towards lighter cars.

Anyway, I'm going off tangent, but the powertrain in this car would be so much better if paired with a 2600 lb hatchback chassis.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Haha, the GTI is chubby too, but at least it's got that German solidness about it (and has midrange torque, thanks to its turbo).

The Si is a normally-aspirated Japanese compact, it should be in the 2600 lb range IMO. What happened to the lightweight Japanese sport compacts, like the Celica, Integra, Civic, Miata? With more stringent EPA standards in the pipeline, you would think the Japanese manufacturers would be flocking towards lighter cars.

Anyway, I'm going off tangent, but the powertrain in this car would be so much better if paired with a 2600 lb hatchback chassis.

I think the consumer driven demand for increase standard content as well as options, coupled with every increasing safety features has upped the weight of all cars.
Todays Civics are also larger than the Accords of yesterday.
If you want a light weight Honda, the Fit is where it's at.

To defend C & D here, I don't see where they say they love the car - nor do they indicate that they prefer it over the GTI.
They praise it's power in relation to the GTI, but not the entire automobile.
If I know Car & Driver (and the other car mags.) power alone will not put the Civic in a favorable position to the GTI.
If that were the case, the Mazdaspeed3 would have taken the GTI/Mazda comparo.
It did not.

C4L

Banned
I am confused by this article too.

The Si is exactly as fast as my GTI when I tested it for them (see sig).
Motor Trend got a 5.8 and 14.5 1/4 from the GTI...

And the GTI is a MUCH nicer car, that is why it CAN cost more money.
And the GTI gets better gas mileage.
And the GTI handles better.

I am confused by the GTI comparison. Car and Driver LOVES the GTI. 2 of their editors actually OWN MKVI GTI's...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I will go ahead and say that I was not apart of this Design team nor do I know any folks that worked on it lol But I think everyone knows it was a huge flop.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think the consumer driven demand for increase standard content as well as options, coupled with every increasing safety features has upped the weight of all cars.
Todays Civics are also larger than the Accords of yesterday.
If you want a light weight Honda, the Fit is where it's at.

Yeah, definitely. I wish car manufacturers would stop adding unneccessary features and weight, and go back to focusing on driving dynamics and lightweight cars.

About the Fit, if they shoehorned a 200+ hp engine into that car, added a limited-slip differential up front, put on some proper brakes, and converted the rear suspension to a multi-link design, I think it'd have some potential.

The more I think about it, I think the upcoming BRZ/FRS is going to fill a void that exists in the market right now. There are too few lightweight cheap sports coupes out there at the moment.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
It seems to be a fair trade-off: At 6.1 seconds, it’s quicker than the five-door VW GTI to 60, and beats the old Si sedan by more than half a second.

Lol, wait where is C4L to claim 0-60 of 5.8 seconds for a stock GTI?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
GTI does indeed have torque steer guys, sorry. ;)

It is surprisingly minimal for a FWD Turbo car; but it is still there. I feel it constantly when going from my .:R to my wife's GTI.