GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Chicago Car Network FTMFW:thumbsup:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Seriously. Dat GP, dat CCN connection.

;) :wub: made that shit happen, son! what a clear car and a good deal, no doubt. :thumbsup:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, that's where I bought my car when it was still Holberts. Bought from a guy named Joe.

Yeah, we basically purged anything related to Holbert's... including most of the staff.

Great name, horrible dealer reputation, unfortunately.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Nearly bought an '04 V70R for sale in my neighborhood. Guy wanted $5500 for it, which is seemingly dirt cheap for one. I drove it, and it definitely needed new brakes, the suspension is on its way out, and the front end was in rough shape (ripped lower dam of bumper off on a curb), but it felt strong and looked pretty clean otherwise. It's originally a Chicago car but no rust on the body or underneath, aside from the exhaust.

So, I brought it to local Swedish car expert because I was scared the awd system was on its way out, because that is mindfuckingly expensive to repair. It's actually in pretty good shape, but the repair quote was still $7200.

It needs a timing belt (and water pump and all the related accessories), serpentine belt, brake rotors, pads, fluid, every exhaust hanger, axle back exhaust, rear torque mount, both hydraulic engine mounts, spring mounts at all four corners, new front struts (developed by ohlins, so $500+ a piece!), one hid bulb ($110!?), front bumper cover ($750 before labor), one fog light assembly, the front passenger door lock actuator, and a new amp for the radio.

I think I could get everything done for $5k-ish and get to a point where it's reliable for <2500. Probably still a no-go. My heart hurts.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Love the V70R.

If you source the parts, how much for just the belts and water pump? The rest of the stuff is doable yourself.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Love the V70R.

If you source the parts, how much for just the belts and water pump? The rest of the stuff is doable yourself.

They quoted $800 for the belt/pump job. I found a local dude that a lot of Volvo guys use that charges $50/hr labor. Things are looking up, a little bit. I already got two warnings from my HOA that I can't work on my car in the road and my garage doesn't have enough space to work on the car without going nuts, so I can't do as much here as I'd want to. I can replace the front bumper, but anything requiring jack stands needs to be outsourced, or I need to make friends with somebody nearby with a driveway.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
They quoted $800 for the belt/pump job. I found a local dude that a lot of Volvo guys use that charges $50/hr labor. Things are looking up, a little bit. I already got two warnings from my HOA that I can't work on my car in the road and my garage doesn't have enough space to work on the car without going nuts, so I can't do as much here as I'd want to. I can replace the front bumper, but anything requiring jack stands needs to be outsourced, or I need to make friends with somebody nearby with a driveway.

Wat.

You have a garage, but no driveway?

Man, fuck HOAs, too.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Wat.

Man, fuck HOAs, too.

Garage exits straight to the alley-like road we live on. The neighborhood is isolated, so there's no traffic and all the houses in my neighborhood are like that. In fairness, it would be really hard for another car to get by when I'm under the car outside.

Now you may ask, "If it's an alley, who gives a crap whether you work in it?" My HOA gives gigantic craps about every single thing I do. Light one shrub on fire torching a bushing and suddenly I'm a menace?

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
xytbyk,

I saw that v70r on craigslist. The 04-05 auto have output limited in 1st and 2nd gear to protect the tranny so you would give up some performance versus the 6mt. 7k in repair work is crazy even when considering a full suspension refresh. I shopped for a R for my wife but between the prone to failure AWD and everything you came across (common R issues) I could not pull the trigger. I ended up going with a 2006 2.5t v70 fwd with an extensive maintenance history and could not be happier other than the horrible turning radius (R has same issues).

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, we basically purged anything related to Holbert's... including most of the staff.

Great name, horrible dealer reputation, unfortunately.

oh, dang.

Good car buying experience. I never took it there for service. It was mostly Ardmore for that, who haven't been able to diagnose half the things I bring up.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Nearly bought an '04 V70R for sale in my neighborhood. Guy wanted $5500 for it, which is seemingly dirt cheap for one. I drove it, and it definitely needed new brakes, the suspension is on its way out, and the front end was in rough shape (ripped lower dam of bumper off on a curb), but it felt strong and looked pretty clean otherwise. It's originally a Chicago car but no rust on the body or underneath, aside from the exhaust.

So, I brought it to local Swedish car expert because I was scared the awd system was on its way out, because that is mindfuckingly expensive to repair. It's actually in pretty good shape, but the repair quote was still $7200.

It needs a timing belt (and water pump and all the related accessories), serpentine belt, brake rotors, pads, fluid, every exhaust hanger, axle back exhaust, rear torque mount, both hydraulic engine mounts, spring mounts at all four corners, new front struts (developed by ohlins, so $500+ a piece!), one hid bulb ($110!?), front bumper cover ($750 before labor), one fog light assembly, the front passenger door lock actuator, and a new amp for the radio.

I think I could get everything done for $5k-ish and get to a point where it's reliable for <2500. Probably still a no-go. My heart hurts.

Oh dang. A lot of that could be done on your own. I say get the guy down to $4k and make it rain Volvo wagons.

Love the V70R.

Dis.

Oh the joys of living in Eh Ghey. I don't miss that one bit.

Wat.

Man, fuck HOAs, too.

Dis.

Garage exits straight to the alley-like road we live on. The neighborhood is isolated, so there's no traffic and all the houses in my neighborhood are like that. In fairness, it would be really hard for another car to get by when I'm under the car outside.

Now you may ask, "If it's an alley, who gives a crap whether you work in it?" My HOA gives gigantic craps about every single thing I do. Light one shrub on fire torching a bushing and suddenly I'm a menace?

I had an apartment in LBC with the same setup. I worked on my car in the alley and pissed off the neighbors non-stop. Even had the cops called on my once. They were cool, just told me to try to take up less of the alley.

HOA's are evil. I will never ever deal with one.

xytbyk,

I saw that v70r on craigslist. The 04-05 auto have output limited in 1st and 2nd gear to protect the tranny so you would give up some performance versus the 6mt. 7k in repair work is crazy even when considering a full suspension refresh. I shopped for a R for my wife but between the prone to failure AWD and everything you came across (common R issues) I could not pull the trigger. I ended up going with a 2006 2.5t v70 fwd with an extensive maintenance history and could not be happier other than the horrible turning radius (R has same issues).

Oh, it's not a manual? Why's it even being considered? I just assumed it was the proper pedal configuration. :iono:

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
xytbyk,

Yeah, the torque limit is an easy thing to get around with a tune, but is obviously good for extending the life of the slushbox. The trans on this one felt better than the $11k '06 with 80k miles I drove a few months ago. Eh. Doesn't matter now.

The service history on this car is solid through 80k miles, but spotty thereafter. That suggests to me that the first owner sold it when the expensive maintenance started coming due. The mechanic said it looked like the original timing belt, which suggests to me that the car wasn't as carefully maintained over the next 60k miles. I've loved these cars for a long time. I'm passing on it, and the exercise of digging deep into their quirks has probably ruined them for me.

Oh, it's not a manual? Why's it even being considered? I just assumed it was the proper pedal configuration. :iono:

Obviously I'd prefer a man pedal, but an allegedly clean VR for 5k was too hard to ignore.

Weird thing is now I have no idea what to do. I don't need another car at all, and especially not a sub-$10k project I can't easily work on, but I want one really badly. I'm in a tailspin. I caught myself looking at 6-speed Acura TLs this morning. I might be having a stroke.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Weird thing is now I have no idea what to do. I don't need another car at all, and especially not a sub-$10k project I can't easily work on, but I want one really badly. I'm in a tailspin. I caught myself looking at 6-speed Acura TLs this morning. I might be having a stroke.

#placitis