GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Imagine something like this:

Little ~1.8-2.0 non-turbo like the 2ZZ/K20 with lightweight 7-speed DCT like the dry clutch VW one, geared so that 1-6 are super close ratios where 6th gear at 100 mph is 9000 RPM for crazy acceleration and 7th is a normal overdrive for quiet+efficient cruising. Mount that with a helical LSD in what is essentially a 3/4 scale Cayman-type body, with a steel/aluminum chassis and plastic body panels.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
I'm not saying the Miata is the end all be all of cars, no way, I'm just saying there are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Troy, I really think you need to start your own car company.

this always works.

but for real....what if we put one of those fancy boosted fiesta 3 cyl engines in one of these:

Merkle

Banned

Little ~1.8-2.0 non-turbo like the 2ZZ/K20 with lightweight 7-speed DCT like the dry clutch VW one, geared so that 1-6 are super close ratios where 6th gear at 100 mph is 9000 RPM for crazy acceleration and 7th is a normal overdrive for quiet+efficient cruising. Mount that with a helical LSD in what is essentially a 3/4 scale Cayman-type body, with a steel/aluminum chassis and plastic body panels.

Needs a manual option. :D

Honestly, sounds delicious. 10/10 would have a second helping.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion

its a great idea. I'd buy one.

BUT. Repeat after me:

modern auto makers do not make money on sports cars.

So whats the mah troy suv and truck lineup look like :laugh:

Merkle

Banned
On the subject of Cayman, man, do I lust after one of those.

Troykota.

*aside from the hood scoop & chrome ramz, that's a good looking truck.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Or what if you
*gasp*

took the rear subframe of your MR car and made it so its the same drivetrain as your companies FWD shitbox appliance? Do a little parts bin engineering?

many great cars come about like this....like Miatas.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Or what if you
*gasp*

took the rear subframe of your MR car and made it so its the same drivetrain as your companies FWD shitbox appliance? Do a little parts bin engineering?

many great cars come about like this....like Miatas.

or what if existing companies did that in reverse to build an MR car...

VW baby cayman 1.4TSI+7-speed dsg, use polo gti front end as the back.

I would buy that fucker and 5 extra water pumps.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day

10/10 would buy. It would cost $80k because nobody else would buy it, but I like the idea.

Needs a manual option. :D

Honestly, sounds delicious. 10/10 would have a second helping.

Not the way Troy described it. I'd probably take the DCT if super close ratio.

its a great idea. I'd buy one.

BUT. Repeat after me:

modern auto makers do not make money on sports cars.

So whats the mah troy suv and truck lineup look like :laugh:

Dis.

It shouldn't be hard, but the market is too small to justify making it at a pricepoint that most could afford. Much due to safety testing and federalizing. Thanks Obama.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion

lol thats what i was getting at.

wouldn't even bitch about having to get under the car to change water pumps.

they almost made it too, er, keep threateing to almost make it...
oh what could have or could be....

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
ballz.

Anyone have access to car auction data?

yes.. thats my brother in laws job. tho sometimes its hard to get him to get off his ass and give me info.

what car you wanna check auction prices on? he does that every day.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
:word:

that's another bunch of bullshit, secret private auctions in the land of the free :lol:
i had those feels when i was looking for a donor car for the rocket kit car.
its un freaking real this system exists. Worse, none of the brokers in the area wanted to buy me a focus at auction for a fee. its like they hated money.