GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbonio or Modshack?

fishhead

Passed Driver's Ed
With the sale going on right now, there would be a $4.00 difference between these two. I know that the Modshack is quieter, but it seems that the
Carbonio isn't that much louder. I am not interested in a open intake like the P-Flo, as it and the others like it would be too loud. The way I see it is as follows:

Carbonio: 100% of air comes from bumper grill. Sexy CF. Slightly louder. May or may not work better with APR Stg1 tune (not tuned yet, but in the near-ish future...prolly summer sale).

Modshack: Most of air comes from front grill, but not all. Can be had in a very stealthy color combo, or as wild as you like. Quiet. would be supporting a member here.

Please let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
My p-flo is 100x quieter than my carbonio ever was. Maybe mine was faulty idk. But it was loud as hell and sounded bad. P-flo I'm much happier with. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
IMHO, owning a APR and Modshack.... if I had to do it again...... Very hard decision. The Modshack is definitely quieter, and IMHO better designed because it won't fade or crack like CF will over time.

Your Air comment between the two is incorrect. APR does suck air from the engine compartment too like the Modshack does. There is no seal.

fishhead

Passed Driver's Ed
IMHO, owning a APR and Modshack.... if I had to do it again...... Very hard decision. The Modshack is definitely quieter, and IMHO better designed because it won't fade or crack like CF will over time.

Your Air comment between the two is incorrect. APR does suck air from the engine compartment too like the Modshack does. There is no seal.

Thanks. I didn't realize the Carbonio pulled air from the engine bay as well. It looked to me like it would only pull from te bumper vent, but if it's not sealed then air would still be able to get in there from the engine bay.

OMGTurbo, your statement is intriguing. My experience with open intakes is that they are very loud. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I'm looking for with the GTI.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
If I had to do it again, I'd get the Modshack. The stg 2 piping now looks like a green eel in my engine bay, and I wouldn't mind a quieter intake. I'm planning on a catback, b/c I like that sort of sound, but not the whooshh, pssshhhh I currently have.

Last edited:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. I didn't realize the Carbonio pulled air from the engine bay as well. It looked to me like it would only pull from te bumper vent, but if it's not sealed then air would still be able to get in there from the engine bay.

There is no seal as in a gasket but the slot of the carbonio is a near perfect match of the grill slot - its basically sealed. If any air gets in through any gap, its minimal.

The modshack is popular and he provides great service to this forums members.

Everyone's opinion will differ and you'll find most swear by their latest purchase. It sounds like you've done your homework, go with what you want.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I have the carbonio and have no complaints whatsoever.

SFLFAST

Banned
That's like asking do you want a Ferrari or do you want this car that I built from scratch from home depot material and hopefully runs, get the carbonio.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
I personally just ordered a Modshack today after debating between these two. I don't care for the loose mounting of the Carbonio or the CF design. Plus from all the videos I've seen the Carbonio is very noisy/breathy.

P

plac

if i HAD to take one of those two, i would take the Modshack one. At least his includes a proper bracket to support it.

VINNY1

Ready to race!
The Carbonio isn't sealed, and I can't see any intake without a drain being sealed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

fishhead

Passed Driver's Ed
if i HAD to take one of those two, i would take the Modshack one. At least his includes a proper bracket to support it.

That is definitely a plus for the Modshack.

As for these being the only two options, well...You'll get nothing and like it:D

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion