GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover suggestions

aspirollari

Ready to race!
Im on a budget so currently looking at Fk streets, highsports, and ST X. Which is the best bang for my buck? Not looking for a big drop at all. Probli around 1.5inch front and back. Without sacrificing much of the stock comfort feel.

mophisto

Ready to race!
This and This. Will give you the drop you want without having to resort to bargain coil-overs.

You can run just springs and get the same drop, but they're supposed to be pretty hard on the OEM struts if you do.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
This and This. Will give you the drop you want without having to resort to bargain coil-overs.

You can run just springs and get the same drop, but they're supposed to be pretty hard on the OEM struts if you do.

If i go springs id probli do eibach prokit or sportline because ive had previous experience with them and they are great. My friend has been on his sportlines for 30k miles and no problems with shocks/struts. But his ride is bumpier then id like.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I've been running VWR (Volkswagen Racing) springs for almost 60k miles now and they've been great. The front struts just recently started leaking, but they have almost 100k miles on them. I'll be moving to coilovers soon, but I wouldn't hesitate to run VWR springs and stock struts/shocks again. Great ride height, ride quality, and handling.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I think the ST X coil-overs are pretty nice. They are made by KW which is a "premium" brand.

Im looking at getting them for $800 its not that bad.

I was originally thinking of doing springs and struts/shocks.. but for a little more can have coilovers.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
I think the ST X coil-overs are pretty nice. They are made by KW which is a "premium" brand.

I was originally thinking of doing springs and struts/shocks.. but for a little more can have coilovers.

yea ecs has them 650 bascially when you consider the $100 rebate and $50 ecs gift card.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Im on a budget so currently looking at Fk streets, highsports, and ST X. Which is the best bang for my buck? Not looking for a big drop at all. Probli around 1.5inch front and back. Without sacrificing much of the stock comfort feel.

I have koni coils, and they ride great. Better then the drivers gear springs I had before them, and I have them all the way down in the front and 2 threads left in the rear. I am very impressed with them after 2 years of daily driving into Philly 5 days a week (30 mile trip each way). Got them shipped for $950.

Cyrok

Passed Driver's Ed

To add on this thread, Im basically in the same boat trying to decide between just doing vwr springs or paying a few hundred more to get decent coils...
I had FK coils on my 20th a while back and enjoyed those but vwr springs and a rear sway bar might be enough to get a tad lower, improve handling and still ride somewhat comfortable..?
Good thing at least my bank account tells me to wait a couple of months to decide...[emoji23]
[emoji106]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Good thing at least my bank account tells me to wait a couple of months to decide...[emoji23]
[emoji106]

Yes lol. Same boat for me

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Agreed with st. I think they are the best budget coils, I have also heard good things about solowerks though.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Agreed with st. I think they are the best budget coils, I have also heard good things about solowerks though.

STs! You get the KW quality, without the KW price. :happyanim:

I think the only difference between the ST and KWs are warranty and metal.
KW - Truly stainless steel and have a life-time.
ST - Offer some rust protection, and only have a 5-year warranty.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

This. But the KW warranty doesnt cover wear and tear and by the time 5 years or so is up they will most likely be shot and will require a full rebuild/replacement which the warranty doesnt cover. So that ST warranty isnt bad. IIRC the ST are just KW in house brand or something for domestic sale only or something(Probably total rubbish but i think i read that somewhere)

At least thats what i read in this balls amazing thread.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15462

Cyrok

Passed Driver's Ed
This. But the KW warranty doesnt cover wear and tear and by the time 5 years or so is up they will most likely be shot and will require a full rebuild/replacement which the warranty doesnt cover. So that ST warranty isnt bad. IIRC the ST are just KW in house brand or something for domestic sale only or something(Probably total rubbish but i think i read that somewhere)

At least thats what i read in this balls amazing thread.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15462
Thanks for that link! [emoji106]
Those 33 pages will make my last 2 hrs at work go fast [emoji23]

artur1292

Go Kart Champion

Yeah, they're the same valving and spring rates as the kW v1 only difference really like you said is the metal. Instead of stainless steel it uses I think regular steel I'm not sure but for rust protection they have zinc coating.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have koni coils, and they ride great. Better then the drivers gear springs I had before them, and I have them all the way down in the front and 2 threads left in the rear. I am very impressed with them after 2 years of daily driving into Philly 5 days a week (30 mile trip each way). Got them shipped for $950.

This guy gets it

They were briefly under $1000 last year....the prices are up this year though :(

But here's a good deal:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104019