GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enter @ Own Risk

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I still think 210PS is too low and well behind the times. Even cars in the class below now have more power than that. For example the alfa mito GTA 240PS or the MINI JCW 211PS etc and they are far lighter and much cheaper.
The competition in the golf size class like the new renaultsport megan coupe and ford focus or new astra will have much more power than the golf.

VW seems even in the class below to have lost its way as the SEAT Ibiza Cupra will only be 180PS and the Polo GTI only 170PS and so out done by there competition like the mito. mini clio.

I know VW will prob drop sporty models in the distant future and go all greeen and eco on us but come on VW go out with a bang at least don't let the GTI fall behind especially at the prices you charge!

Damb it VW you made me defect and go to your left arm the SEAT brand back in the early 90s because you lost your way with the Golf mk3 and mk4 GTIs now your making me think about going to your other arm and going all Audi on you as i hear an S3 calling because of your weak overpriced excuse for a GTI.
Just think yourself luckie Alfa styling went too OTT for me with the mito GTA or i would have left your group completly for the first time ever!

Arrr Rant over!

Last edited:

GTI2007

Not to be picky but here in Belgium the 211 HP Mini JCW starts at 30,150 € so that's almost 4,000 € more then a base MK6 GTI and for what I can find about the Mito GTA is that it has 230 HP (not 240) and that there still is no price available cause it still needs to be launched and the same things count for the new Astra and the Renaultsport Megane. Right now the only real competition the MK6 GTI has is the Ford Focus ST

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Whatever, it will be outclassed very very soon and its not even out yet either.:p:(:thumbsup:

JCW if i convert the german basic price to UKP its more expensive than a JCW in the UK. £23,873.88 v £21220
The Germans have always got there GTIs cheaper than we do in the UK its why quite a few people import the GTI overhere.
The GTA mito is talked about in the trade to undercut the mini by a large margin its said to be coming for ~£18K mark.

The power for this class has moved on. Current/past rivals even have/had more power, VXR, MPS, RS, ST, GTA, Cupra.

Also looking at the prices of the mk6 and the GTI If they do bring out a R20 it will be pushing the R20 very close to S3 prices in the Uk and probably giving you much less standard kit. Also Audis normally get you more discount than VWs so bringing it much closer in real terms.

I will be waiting to sample a mk6 GTI but im not going in blind anymore i may endup with an S3 at the prices talked about as its not going to be much difference in real terms!

Hell if i could only get on with the Leon cupra interior/exterior looks it would be no contest at the prices VW are currently asking for the mk6 and just to top it off SEAT have upgraded the FR leon to the same engine as the mk6 GTI with the same diff and will be selling them for far less than VW will be asking for the GTI and they do huge discounts too.

Last edited:

GTI2007

The only car I would be interested in that would become an competitor of the MK6 GTI is the new 250 HP 2.0T Astra OPC/VXR which would be fwd I guess like with the current model but that will not be on sale until somewhere beginning of 2010.

That would be if I would go for a fwd car instead of an awd one like the R20 or the S3 from which I don't really like the look so choosing from those 2 I would go for the R20 cause I'm a much bigger fan of the Golf look then the S3 look

I also like the look of the Mini JCW a lot but IMO the engine is a bit too small for me with just being a 1.6L. If it would have a 1.8L or a 2.0L then I would be far more interested then I am now.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I just find the mk6 expensive in my country after discount compared to an Audi or SEAT. As i said if i could only get on with the leon cupra or cupra K1 as the k1 can be bought for £17K new or ~£16.5K for the cupra new, much less than a GTI will be and its got the higher spec engine than the GTI the 240PS one. The FR with the same engine as the GTI can be had for £15.5K new.
VWuk are just gready and pushed the price of the mk6 up and up till its at audi levels. I wish they would get it that VW is NOT audi or that level of quality or prestige the badge will never get to that level no matter what they try and get people to beleive.

GTI2007

I would be all over the Leon Cupra if it was available in a 3 door version cause right now I don't care about having 5 doors and I also don't like the look of it. The idea of an Ibiza or a Leon with the S3 engine combined with Haldex (like with the S3) would make it the ultimate sleeper for less money then a base GTI I think

GTI2007

For me it's still the same routine with working 5 days a week and having 2 days off to do nothing except come online in here or else to watch some tv or play my PS2