GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Crossroads (House Building Thread)

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
I love the dark cabinets of the kitchen! Thought granite is an obvious (and expensive) preference, your countertops go great! (At least they don't look like granite in the pics but could be because they are so dusty, also).

Also like the contrast texture of the exterior! Beautiful house :)

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
Last time I saw this thread the house was just some 2x4s, I'm excited for you brother! Congrats!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Thanks everyone. We're certainly excited!

I love the dark cabinets of the kitchen! Thought granite is an obvious (and expensive) preference, your countertops go great! (At least they don't look like granite in the pics but could be because they are so dusty, also).

Also like the contrast texture of the exterior! Beautiful house :)

At first I wasn't sure about the outside color but it really looks fantastic driving up to it. I want something darker but its perfect the way it is.

I'm glad you mentioned granite because they're not :). It's actually laminate! We figured we could put granite in later if we wanted, but those counters we chose looked just as good. The fact you mistaken them for granite tells me we did a great job! :)

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks everyone. We're certainly excited!

At first I wasn't sure about the outside color but it really looks fantastic driving up to it. I want something darker but its perfect the way it is.

I'm glad you mentioned granite because they're not :). It's actually laminate! We figured we could put granite in later if we wanted, but those counters we chose looked just as good. The fact you mistaken them for granite tells me we did a great job! :)

No no, I said they DONT look like granite haha. But they look great. Granite is an expensive upgrade and laminate works and looks great!

Anyway, I'm excited for you!

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
You probably made the right choice not going granite from the builder.

For upgrades like that that are easy enough to do after the fact, I recommend really price shopping around. Our builder wanted $12k for the granite upgrade, so we passed. I knew it would be cheaper dealing with a granite contractor directly. Sure enough, we ended up paying $7k including tax for the granite installed and got a better/more expensive cut of granite and shape of the edges.

The only downside to doing the counters later is that you will live on plywood counter tops for the 10 days or so after the demo and measurements while they are cutting your stone.

Congrats again, I know you have to be going crazy with excitement to move in.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
We are 100% ready at this point. Our landlord sucks right now and we are just tired if the current HOA. The neighborhood is about a mile or two away from our current residence, so it shouldn't be too much of a move.

More pics to come.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

WAP

Go Kart Champion
The downside to concrete countertops is that concrete is porous and needs to be resealed regularly, otherwise it's mucho unhygenic. FWIW, we went with engineered stone in our kitchen rehab a couple years ago. It's 97% quartz, which is something like the second hardest stone after diamonds, or something like that, and 3% acrylic, or whatever the medium is that binds everything together. The advantages are that it's harder than granite, totally non-porous to the point that you can actually cut raw chicken on it and clean it and there won't be any dangerous bacteria left behind in the pores, becausenonporous. It never needs resealing and cleans up with plain water and a mf towel, or soap and water, or something like windex. The disadvantage is that the look is very "regular", in other words, you don't get the cool graining that you can get with some granites. Ours is a uniform speckled surface. We actually like it better that way, but everyone is different. Just my $.02 on countertop surfaces. We did months of research so it's nice to share our findings, FWIW...YMMV and all that.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
granite ftw. that being said, laminates have come a long way, especially the high-def ones that have a texture and cool grain patterns. put some in a rental and my gfs house since budget was a concern and they looked really nice.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
I've heard only good things about quartz! The no porous thing is a huge advantage and with Gamble's dark, dark cabinets, a nice, clean cream colored quartz counter would look great. Dramatic.