GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI warranty issue in Canada

kevinchan103

Hi~ i am going to buy a GTI probably in March or April

but i am wondering what kind of mod will affect the warranty?
i want to do the VAG-COM, Resonator Delete, and in-take mod

P.s. which dealership in Vancouver area is good?

thanks guys~

v3on

Ready to race!
Clarkdale vw is mod friendly. I have my bsh intake installed and I m gonna do my first service at Clarkdale

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Welcome to the board. Searching would have saved you the trouble of creating a thread.

When it comes to mods they will only effect your warranty if it's proven by the dealer it caused the problem. For example, the dealer can't void the the part of your warranty on your rear washer for leaking when you install a lowering kit. If you install lowering springs and they mess up your struts then that will not be covered under warranty.

Some dealers are mod friendly, but not all. Ask around.

blueiguana

Ready to race!
P.s.~~ how much you guys are paying for insurance?

$1877 after a 43% discount. Includes, Basic Ins, 3Million third party liability, $500 deductible and I drive more than 15kms to/from work.

Thinking of raising my deductible to maybe $1k and reduce the 3rd party liability to 2million.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
$1877 after a 43% discount. Includes, Basic Ins, 3Million third party liability, $500 deductible and I drive more than 15kms to/from work.

Thinking of raising my deductible to maybe $1k and reduce the 3rd party liability to 2million.

That's a good idea. A $1000 deductible would lower your payment. Also, who needs 3 million liability? That seems a little much. I would suggest lowering the liability and higher your deductible.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
2800 is before discount or after?
After discount.

That's a good idea. A $1000 deductible would lower your payment. Also, who needs 3 million liability? That seems a little much. I would suggest lowering the liability and higher your deductible.
The thing you have to be careful with your deductibles is hit-and-runs.

For example... my car got hit and run, and I have to pay $500 deductible instead of $300 to fix it. If I had just payed the price difference between the $300 and the $500 deductible I would've saved the difference if not more, especially if I get hit again.

HOLLIS

Ready to race!
I would never raise my deductible to $1000. I have yet to own a car yet where i haven't had to pay my deductible for one reason or another (broken windows, hit &run, Vandalism). Maybe i'm just unlucky. Does it really make a big difference in the annual cost?

Redslumber

Ready to race!
Good to know that a few dealerships in BC are mod friendly :). I'll be sure to drop by one of them for my oil change

happydude

Passed Driver's Ed
As already stated in this thread, the dealership would have to prove your modifications caused the problem. Regardless, it's a massive pain in the ass to go through the process of challenging them on this and you'll be caught up in red tape and arguments for a long time.

I've heard Clarkdale is mod-friendly, as well as Cowell. I go to Cowell for service, am Stage 2 and have received no problems or comments beyond, "I like how your car sounds!"

Insurance-wise, I pay about $1400 after 40% discount.

Geofux

Ready to race!
From what I've heard, I think Clarkdale is going to be your best bet.

I pay about $5000/year for insurance with about 10% discount (I think).