GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heel-toe

Seth1

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright so I have had my gti for about two weeks now. This is my first car where the gas pedal pivots front the bottom.

Everything japanese has a pedal the same as the brake where it hangs. (anything I have owned anyway)

So I had an mx5 heel toe was great no problem. I have a 2001 civic. I can get into that thing and heel toe pretty much dead on every corner.

The gti though? no so much. I understand it is a new car to me but it seems like the brake sits much higher then the gas pedal. I am sure its not much but it is a lot to your foot when your trying to do something like this.

Obviously I am going to keep working on it. I am sure I will get the hang of it with this car eventually. I have just never had this much trouble before..

Anyone else find it difficult on this car?

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
Yeah its really hard for me. I think it would work a lot better if you mashed the brakes though so it made the pedals even. I just dont think VW put tracking in mind when they designed them.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
i can't heel toe too well in this GTI. When you step on the break pedal, you hit the end of the line almost instantly. I just stick with rev matching

omes4life1

Ready to race!
Ive noticed this too. On all JDM cars the gas pedal sticks out further so your brake is near the gas making it easier to heel toe. But in euro cars the gas pedal is push back farther than the brake. So no heel toe'ing on our gti's just rev matching and its just as quick as heel toe if you get really good at it.

McQueen77

Banned
i can't heel toe too well in this GTI. When you step on the break pedal, you hit the end of the line almost instantly. I just stick with rev matching

yeah i'll second that. initially, i thought it was just me but it def has to do with the height of the brake pedal vs. the gas. i pretty much just rev match all the time and the only time I really have to heel toe is when coming into a corner at high speed in which case, if you mash the brake, I can pull off a heel toe..

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Same problem here..

the floor-hinged pedal is a german thing. I'm not exactly sure why though... easier to feather/cruise I guess? At least it looks better lol

sukanas1

Ready to race!
instead of heel toeing, i just use the width of my feet. the brakes and gas pedals are really close to each other. if i just dip my right foot to the right, its enough to blip the gas pedal.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
i dont bother with heel toe, i can use my left foot for braking in an automatic really well but im not good at heel toe. i got allot of work to do on my shifting anyways, just trying to downshift at the right time when entering a corner. whenever i accidently grind a gear i punch myself in the leg so hopefully i wont do it again.:yikes:

Seth1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ive noticed this too. On all JDM cars the gas pedal sticks out further so your brake is near the gas making it easier to heel toe. But in euro cars the gas pedal is push back farther than the brake. So no heel toe'ing on our gti's just rev matching and its just as quick as heel toe if you get really good at it.

The main reason for the heel toe is that you do not unbalance the car coming into the corner.

If you are just rev matching then getting back on the brake it is not going to work out great.

coming into a corner hard as you describe might go something like this..

Brake > off brake > rev match > on brake

This changes the balance of the car. You brake the suspension loads up then you get off it. It goes back to neutral load then you brake again adding load and pressure to the front of the car. If your going hard enough this causes bad steering consequences.

I agree with you that you can get good at this and pull it off while daily driving. If you are ever at a track though not exactly what you want to be doing.

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
The main reason for the heel toe is that you do not unbalance the car coming into the corner.

If you are just rev matching then getting back on the brake it is not going to work out great.

This changes the balance of the car. You brake the suspension loads up then you get off it. It goes back to neutral load then you brake again adding load and pressure to the front of the car. If your going hard enough this causes bad steering consequences.

I agree with you that you can get good at this and pull it off while daily driving. If you are ever at a track though not exactly what you want to be doing.

+1 this is what i do

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion

Is this what everyone is doing?
for example i'm about to exit off the highway, the exit sign says to go "30 mph". I am currently in 6th gear going 60 ish > brake to about 35-40 > off brake > shift to 3rd or 4th > rev match > let clutch out smoothly and step on the gas. you shouldn't have to brake again after the rev match, unless you are going way too fast for the turn

Bender1

Banned
instead of heel toeing, i just use the width of my feet. the brakes and gas pedals are really close to each other. if i just dip my right foot to the right, its enough to blip the gas pedal.

This IS heel toeing.

You don't actually use your heel and your toe...

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion

I still can't blip the throttle hard enough to do this... can't rotate my foot at that steep of an angle.

Is this what everyone is doing?
for example i'm about to exit off the highway, the exit sign says to go "30 mph". I am currently in 6th gear going 60 ish > brake to about 35-40 > off brake > shift to 3rd or 4th > rev match > let clutch out smoothly and step on the gas. you shouldn't have to brake again after the rev match, unless you are going way too fast for the turn

He was talking more about a racing situation... in normal driving, rev matching is usually sufficient. Sometimes I don't need to touch the brakes at all and just engine brake.

Bender1

Banned

GrisTDI

Passed Driver's Ed

same here:thumbsup: