GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition Off Key Out... Car still Running?

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
*UPDATE*

So earlier I went to change the ECU from 93 to Stock to see if maybe it was the reflash that was causing the fans to go crazy. The fans started on their own while i was working through the ECU Interface.

I called the local dealer and will be bringing it in on Friday. Hopefully they don't blame it on the Carbonio 1 intake they say then notice that the ECU has been reflashed.

*/UPDATE*

So this occurred to me twice within a 30 minute period today.

I came home from work, turned off the ignition and pulled the key out.

However, the car sounded like it was still on? However, it didn't sound like the engine running but a loud intake/suction noise?

This lasted for a couple minutes and it went away by its own.

20 minutes later, i turned the car out again to pick up dinner and when I arrived home 20 minutes later, the same thing happened again.

What is going on? My car only has ~1700 miles on it.

Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Back in the day you'd have a turbo timer that kept it running to cool down on short trips like that. About the worst sort of driving you can do for a turbo, or well any car really.

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
The first time it occurred was when i got home from work. That was a 20 mile drive, all highway. Around 30 minutes.

2nd time 20 minutes later was a much shorter drive.

ATC2

Ready to race!
Back in the day I would have said your timing is off, but I don't think that is possible with the new technology, but I could be wrong. :iono:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I think I read way back, two years ago, you should drive moderately or let the engine idle a couple of minutes to help cool down before turning the engine off. I have a mile sandy driveway, 5 mph so it helps with the cool down, but not the dust. But depending on the conditions the fans may still run after shutdown.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
My guess is the fans cooling things down. If the engine were still running, I'd be concerned.

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
Cooling fans. To the best of my knowledge, gasoline engines can not runaway.

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
I think I read way back, two years ago, you should drive moderately or let the engine idle a couple of minutes to help cool down before turning the engine off. I have a mile sandy driveway, 5 mph so it helps with the cool down, but not the dust. But depending on the conditions the fans may still run after shutdown.

I thought I read somewhere that on modern cars, you don't really have to worry about a cooling down period. That's what the fans and auxiliary water pumps are there for, isn't it?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
This is a real thread?

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
My concern is that it just started yesterday. 1700 miles on Odo and never seen this before.

Just got to work and its also doing it again.

How often do your cars do this?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
My concern is that it just started yesterday. 1700 miles on Odo and never seen this before.

Just got to work and its also doing it again.

How often do your cars do this?

I really all depends on ambient temps and how hard the car was driven. I know mine only come after shutdown, if it's really hot out. I always drive a couple of cool down miles before shutting the car down, if I had really given it the beans.

Nothing to worry about.

P

plac

i read about 1 person a long time ago that had bad fan sensor and they would run too long afterwards. the only time mine ever runs after shutoff is when it is at least 80F outside, and more like 85-90F.