GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior LED Replacement

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
I have a question in regards to changing out the bulbs for the Front and Back Domes.

Is it possible to just popout the plastic covers to the bulbs rather than having to take out the entire housing?

Also, can someone point out which fuse to remove and a brief How-To to avoid blown fuses?

Kinda noob at this so help is appreciated.

Thank you.

PS. i have found the helpful posts for the replacements. However, as mentioned already I am definitely noobish and would like to be cautious. I would like to know all steps before i dive in to perform the changes.

Thanks again.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
You don't need to pull the fuses, but you might blow one by accident. There's a fuse map thread nearby and its the central electric unit fuse that you need to replace if you short while installing.

gravis86

Passed Driver's Ed
The back dome is super easy. You can remove the cover with your fingers and just put the bulbs in no problem.

The front dome is a bit harder. While I didn't remove the whole housing (just the cover) it was a PITA to get the LEDs in there. I say go for whatever you're more comfortable with.

Hexagonz

I can vouch. Did the back by prying the cover off with my VW standard-issue screwdriver. The fronts were a little trickier but I managed to get the bulbs in without taking the sunroof controls out or messing with torx screws. Just be gentle.

Also, those OEM bulbs get HOT so be careful when you're removing them. I burned a few fingers in my haste.

ATC2

Ready to race!
I can vouch. Did the back by prying the cover off with my VW standard-issue screwdriver. The fronts were a little trickier but I managed to get the bulbs in without taking the sunroof controls out or messing with torx screws. Just be gentle.

Also, those OEM bulbs get HOT so be careful when you're removing them. I burned a few fingers in my haste.

You got a VW issue screw driver...? :(

Fastball

Ready to race!

No need to burn the digits or pull a fuse. Either use a bulb puller or, close the door, wait a couple minutes for the bulb to cool off, then have at it.

Along The Razor's Edge

Ready to race!
No need to burn the digits or pull a fuse. Either use a bulb puller or, close the door, wait a couple minutes for the bulb to cool off, then have at it.

Just did this mod this past week (interior bulbs to red LEDs). Just push the dome override switch to off (it's above the driver's side map light) - no blown fuses or burned fingers (at least for the overheads).

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
You don't need to pull the fuses, but you might blow one by accident. There's a fuse map thread nearby and its the central electric unit fuse that you need to replace if you short while installing.

Also, if you do blow a fuse it'll most likely be when replacing the glovebox light. If you're just doing the domes, I highly doubt you'll run into problems.

Along The Razor's Edge

Ready to race!
Some more thoughts and ideas...

When I first got my car, the first mod was to change the white footwell bulbs to red incandescent bulbs from Autozone. When I installed the red LEDs overhead I noticed that the footwells now looked more pink instead of a vibrant red. Most people wouldn't notice, but I catch that kind of stuff.

So, I ordered a few high output LEDs from eBay and installed. The color was the right hue and bright, but the light distribution looked like a disco ball. To diffuse the light, I added a piece of semitransparent office tape. Now, it is good to go.

Maybe I should have just put the red tape on to start with! LOL

Here's a few pics...kind of hard to capture, but I think you will get the idea.

Yeah, I know...I've got issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337985850.304995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337985873.005500.jpg