GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Stans sucks, the usable life is pretty short before it turns to sea urchins floating in milk. Orange Seal is much better stuff.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Ive heard good stuff about orange seal, ill have to try it next

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Stans sucks, the usable life is pretty short before it turns to sea urchins floating in milk. Orange Seal is much better stuff.

I've seen it stick to tires and harden too. I just barely went tubeless but used Orange as well. We'll see how it holds up.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Wifey might be getting a new bike...

2012 Scott Scale Expert Carbon Hardtail 29er with a few upgrades – medium Scale 29 carbon frame, Rock Shox Reba RL Air tapered fork with remote lockout, Shimano Dynasys SLX 3x10 shifters, Shimano SLX front derailleur, Shimano XT shadow type rear derailleur, Shimano XT 10 speed Cassette, Shimano XT crankset, Shimano XT pedals, Avid Elixir S5 hydraulic disc brakes, Easton Haven carbon seatpost, Easton EC70 carbon handlebars, Stans ZTR Crest 29 tubeless wheelset, and WTB Rocket V saddle, tires will get swapped out for something meatier.

It's going to be mid 50's, dry, and sunny most of the week into next weekend. If she likes it after a decent test ride it'll be bike number 7 in our fleet.

Last edited:

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
#7!!! Im at number 2 (one road, one mountain) and im already maxed out on the budget!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
We have 2 identical Kestrel tri bikes (except mine has ENVE wheels and ISM saddle and hers has Zipp Firecrest wheels and a WTB saddle), I have a Specialized Tricross Comp cross bike, she has a Scatante cross bikes, I have a Stumpjumper EVO 29 hardtail mtb, she has a Trek 6000 hardtail mtb, the Scott Scale will be #7 if she likes it when she rides it and then when I finally get my Devinci frame so I have a place to hang my pile of parts it will be number #8.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
That divinci is gonna be absolutely mindblowing

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
swap out the avid brakes for something better like SLX at least
Otherwise its a nice rig

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
That divinci is gonna be absolutely mindblowing

I hope so cause I'm not building another for a long time

swap out the avid brakes for something better like SLX at least
Otherwise its a nice rig

Not anytime soon. I hate Avid brakes but the Elixir 5s aren't bad enough to warrant the expense. Her old/current mountain bike is a HEAVY 09 Trek 6000... http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...etails?url=us/en/bikes/2009/archive/trek/6000

Literally everything about this bike is a huge upgrade

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Oh yeah, nice upgrade for sure. My previous MTB was a Trek 4900 or something. After destroying literally half the drivetrain after 6 months of offroading use after I graduated I decided it was time to upgrade.

So far I've only broken the frame and rear mech on my Gary Fisher 29er, lol. Actually been debating going to full suspension this year. Never had a full suspension bike before. Lots of race rigs but they were all hardtail.

Is 29er FS worth it, or if going FS would you stick to 26" wheels?

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Try 27.5 if you can- otherwise anything over 120mm on 29 inch wheels is most likely going to kill you

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's personal preference, plus it's very regional/terrain based. It seems like 27.5 is really taking off in most places but 5" 29ers still seem to be the standard here in Colorado. Personally being 6'2" and having the rough rocky terrain we have I wouldn't go smaller than a 29er if I was buying a new bike. I will say though you can do a 27.5 with some meaty high volume tires that can save a little weight while being about the same overall diameter as a 29er. 26 inch wheels are dead IMHO.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
26 is definitely dead. You want a bike that you can do everything with (unless you can afford to have a quiver), so you want one that can handle everything but is light enough not to wear you out quickly if that makes sense

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I still have a 26".