GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New here... between the Focus ST and the GTI

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Oh, and as for brakes, get a good set of aftermarket pads (I went with Stoptech) and the brakes are great. Stock pads actually feel fine, but overheated pretty quickly with spirited driving, hence the reason I upgraded. Easy and cheap upgrade if you ask me.

What kind of gas mileage does the ST get? If I drive the speed limit and actually shoot for high mileage, I've gotten as high as 37.5mpg with all highway driving. Granted, I've only done that a few times, but it's an option if you have to commute like me!

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind and test the brakes out during the test drive. If I need to get some performance pads I can order them online and put them in myself on one of my days off. Mileage-wise the ST is supposed to get 23 city 32 highway and 26 combined.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I have a GTI, my friend has an ST.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but overall I definitely think the GTI has the nicer interior. It looks mor luxurous/timeless, the ST is nice as well I agree, but it's loud and boyish. (Which personally, I don't mind, but I can see what people mean that it will look aged and odd after 3-4 years)

Exterior styling is a matter of opinion. I like the way the GTI looks, the ST, looks a little silly to me in terms of hatchback. It's styled like it's trying to say "Look at me!" and it suffers from that stupid small oddly shaped third window on the back like most 4 doors do. I -HATE- those. The GTI has one, but it follows the same curvature as the 2nd one, and looks more like an extension rather than just a quick "Oh shit we forgot the third window in the back, quick quick lets toss one in!". I guess thats where you get the "GTI has a more refined look" thing from haha...My wife thinks my car looks like a retarded car for midgets or something, I can't remember the elegant words she used atm, but when I pointed out an ST, I said well what if I had gotten that, she said she liked it, becuase it looked more like an actual car. I think she's from to Detroit and so she's partial to ford ;p

The ST is definitely faster from the factory, but a stage 1 tune and intake can fix that. The Ricaro seats are very nice, I did enjoy those, but it's something you COULD do in the GTI if you wanted, and the stock plaid cloth seats are nice. So nice that I don't even regret not getting leather, I actually prefer these over leather now haha...seriously I do. I have gotten compliments on them and then people ask where I got them, and I say germany, and they're like WOW cool and I'm like yeah it's where the car is from they came with it from the factory :p

I hate the wheels on the ST, I like the detroits on the GTI. I mean honestly when I think about it, if I was mysteriously to change cars with my friend, the only things I would feel like I'm gaining over my GTI would be the Seats, the power (which $600 could fix on my GTI), and Ford SYNC (we have a Ford Escape and I like SYNC a lot!). But the stuff I would miss from my GTI would be quite the list...

Friend even said the GTI was his #1 choice just didn't get it because he got such a sweet financing deal with Ford becuase the G/F was buying a truck at the same time with him.

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
While I think the standard focus hatch looks OK...
IMO they ruined the looks of the ST with all the boy racer crap
and the ugly front end.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Re styling, it's a personal thing, but consider this. The Mk6 is basically a 4 year old design now and it still looks fresh and contemporary, inside and out. Will the same be said about the ST 3+ years from now?

Re performance, yes, the ST has it all over the GTI in terms of hp and torque numbers, but it was almost as fast (difference of .1 second 0-60) as the ST when Car and Driver tested them both late last year. And, while the ST was somewhat faster on the track and stopped shorter, the GTI in the test had all season tires while the ST had summer rubber. Put real performance tires on the GTI and just about all the performace advantages of the ST go away. And we're talking a 4 year old design (based off of the 8+ year old Mk5 platform) STOCK GTI vs a brand new chassis under the all new Focus. I like the Focus, but it's just not the car the GTI is. The Mk7 will probably destroy the ST next year.

Here's the C&D article: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti-comparison-test

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
You all are making great points. I think I'm gonna try and test drive both today. If I get the GTI I'll have to wait a couple months to get it so I can save up the extra cash. If I go ST I'm hoping to get it by the end of May.
Bender: Thanks for the offer. I'm actually in Mechanicsburg though which would be like a 2 hr drive. I have a bit of an idea how the VW's hold up since my sister has an 09 Jetta. I'm gonna check out a new GTI at the dealer hopefully today and see how I like it :)

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
If only we had the Focus RS stateside :(

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I would take that minus the spoiler and wheels.

McQueen77

Banned
Think about this too: how outdated/boy racer/sad is that Focus going to look in three years? Or even two? That Ford is going to look dated fairly quick I'd say, just based on exterior (I haven't seen the interior, but Ford doesn't have a good track record of timeless interior styling). I mean, the MK6 isn't the most beautiful car, but it will age well. The MK4 has always been a favorite in style even though I'm not a VW guy.

Yeah Ford is good at making things look outdated and depressing (w/ the exception of the high-line mustangs) as soon as they are released. The styling aesthetic is forced and awkward in the ford whereas the GTI has the sophisticated edge. My wife has made a good living for years as a graphic designer and has pointed out a lot of aspects of visual design that I always sort of knew that she was able to put a more technical spin on. VW and German car companies in general have a way of making cars that will look good for a long time. Understated, classy and reserved. The Ford will not age well. All opinions of course. But yeah the Ford is faster stock... So theres that

The Focus RS looks nice minus that hellacious spoiler, but we dont get that here

Bender1

Banned
You all are making great points. I think I'm gonna try and test drive both today. If I get the GTI I'll have to wait a couple months to get it so I can save up the extra cash. If I go ST I'm hoping to get it by the end of May.
Bender: Thanks for the offer. I'm actually in Mechanicsburg though which would be like a 2 hr drive. I have a bit of an idea how the VW's hold up since my sister has an 09 Jetta. I'm gonna check out a new GTI at the dealer hopefully today and see how I like it :)

My sister-in-law lives in mechanicsburgh - ill PM you if you would like.

Good luck!

Shini

Go Kart Champion
^ another plus for the GTI - I don't see any ST moderators lining up to give you a ride along! :D

And, while the ST was somewhat faster on the track and stopped shorter, the GTI in the test had all season tires while the ST had summer rubber. Put real performance tires on the GTI and just about all the performace advantages of the ST go away. Here's the C&D article: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti-comparison-test

I didn't even think of this but that's a very very valid point as well

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I have an acquaintance with a Focus ST and hes having engine mount problems. I guess the mounts are so soft that the engine is hitting the firewall on hard launches :yikes: But I have no data as to how widespread the problem is.

The mount issue is easy to resolve with an aftermarket mount.

Anyways, I owned a '12 Focus, considered a '13 ST, and bought a '13 GTI.

The Ford service experience leaves a LOT to be desired. I've had nothing but good things to say about my VW experience thus far.