GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Off Topic Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
:eek:$1400/mo?!?!?!? I'm looking the prices of my very first (self-paid) apartment and want to cry when I see $750/mo. Geez, I'm grateful my parents are letting me stay at home rent free to save some money.

Trying to give myself 6 solid months in my parents' house, saving as much money as I can and then it's out on my own. 9 months at the longest. After that, it's time to go. And since I had little idea what the cost of moving out was, I did some research and it seems RIDICULOUS! I know I'm being a noob about life right now but fack.

Yeah, rent prices in my area are stupid. You can't even get anything for 750 around here. Base price for a 1br/1ba apartment is usually in the 850-900 range. Most of what I've been looking at lately is in the 1100-1300 range.

I'm currently paying 1k/mo for a 600 sq. ft. house with a small yard that backs right up to the Delaware canal. It's a really sweet little place, but it's small. The girlfriend really needs a room she can use as an office, and I could use some space as well. It's spoiled me, though, having a house all to myself, and not worrying about other people in the building stomping on the floors, slamming doors, playing music too loud, etc.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Damn that's a pretty sweet little place. If I was going to be #singleforever I'd love a small place like that

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, rent prices in my area are stupid. You can't even get anything for 750 around here. Base price for a 1br/1ba apartment is usually in the 850-900 range. Most of what I've been looking at lately is in the 1100-1300 range.

I'm currently paying 1k/mo for a 600 sq. ft. house with a small yard that backs right up to the Delaware canal. It's a really sweet little place, but it's small. The girlfriend really needs a room she can use as an office, and I could use some space as well. It's spoiled me, though, having a house all to myself, and not worrying about other people in the building stomping on the floors, slamming doors, playing music too loud, etc.

Yeah housing is absurd. I have gotten lucky rentwise but the problem with me has been poor landlords and not really the best housing. At least you are paying and getting a yard and garage. I am paying for nothing more than just a room (and sometimes a backyard). The place I have now is definitely worth it though. Off street parking, deck, front yard shared between people in a very large house. Definitely fine with that.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
Haha eh it's Comcast. I have heard some weird stories about them. I was talking to one guy who said that Comcast told him his house wasn't set up to have Comcast lines run. He went a little over a year or so with nothing, talked to his neighbor and found out they had Comcast for years. Try seeing if your neighbors have it because if they do then you can have a good case for them lowering your bill monthly too for the inconvenience.

Not a bad idea. A friend of mine said he thinks that the Thai restaurant next door has Comcast. He saw a Comcast truck outside there a few times. Though, being a restaurant, the technician could have simply wanted to get some food. :iono:

Also, just set up my appointment to get my RSe12s mounted on Monday, finally! :thumbup:

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Ohio at R&D. Fun times. Got to see stuff that I cannot talk about but made me really really happy. :)

As for my project meetings. Meh. I got what I needed to get done and then some, just a little stressed with my quality strategy.

Ah it's okay bro. Take a step back have a drinky! It'll work out :)

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Not a bad idea. A friend of mine said he thinks that the Thai restaurant next door has Comcast. He saw a Comcast truck outside there a few times. Though, being a restaurant, the technician could have simply wanted to get some food. :iono:

Also, just set up my appointment to get my RSe12s mounted on Monday, finally! :thumbup:

Yeah who knows. Comcast is always hit or miss. I've been lucky and convinced them to not charge me for things before and sometimes I've had to yell on the phone and get nothing accomplished. All depends who you get on the phone really.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion

Omg! I would love to live in this place!!! Since it's just me it would be perfect. And 1k for a HOUSE isn't too terribly awful. You get the privacy and such of a stand alone structure, which is worth it to me. I would love that! Hate other people's noise and things.

I'm looking for a 600-700sqft one bedroom (though I can settle for a studio if I have to) for no more than $650-$700/mo plus utilities. Of course, this is several months in the future since my savings is off limits and I don't yet have a full-time job. When I land a job, I'll able to pocket what I don't spend in gas, credit card payment and $100/mo for entertainment, hopefully.

Shit, growing up sucks.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if Comcast operates anything like AT&T at all in terms of cable service (U-verse for us) but just because a neighbor has it =/= mean you'll be able to get it.

That said, there ARE some lazy f'ing techs that just say things to not do work, but don't be surprised or shocked if they come back and say it's not avaialble. I know cable companies will offer to build out to your location, but it's usually very expensive!

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
God what a crazy morning, had to drop my nephews off at school due to my sister getting sick, had to run to the bank and deposit some money where I helped a chick that slipped on the floor to get up and carried her stuff and walked her to her office (yes WK) and then finally just got to work.

Crazy storms last night, had to park my Civic inside since I only have liability while parked the TDI outside (don't worry Haleyann, the cherry reds were safe inside the garage) so if anything at least the TDI could get totaled and get my money from the insurance company in case shit got real.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Omg! I would love to live in this place!!! Since it's just me it would be perfect. And 1k for a HOUSE isn't too terribly awful. You get the privacy and such of a stand alone structure, which is worth it to me. I would love that! Hate other people's noise and things.

I'm looking for a 600-700sqft one bedroom (though I can settle for a studio if I have to) for no more than $650-$700/mo plus utilities. Of course, this is several months in the future since my savings is off limits and I don't yet have a full-time job. When I land a job, I'll able to pocket what I don't spend in gas, credit card payment and $100/mo for entertainment, hopefully.

Shit, growing up sucks.

I agree. I wanna be 10 again. Back when the worst decision I had to make was who's house I was going to play at

I don't know if Comcast operates anything like AT&T at all in terms of cable service (U-verse for us) but just because a neighbor has it =/= mean you'll be able to get it.

That said, there ARE some lazy f'ing techs that just say things to not do work, but don't be surprised or shocked if they come back and say it's not avaialble. I know cable companies will offer to build out to your location, but it's usually very expensive!

Lazy yes. Expensive yes, however that is a huge selling point for an apartment building

God what a crazy morning, had to drop my nephews off at school due to my sister getting sick, had to run to the bank and deposit some money where I helped a chick that slipped on the floor to get up and carried her stuff and walked her to her office (yes WK) and then finally just got to work.

Crazy storms last night, had to park my Civic inside since I only have liability while parked the TDI outside (don't worry Haleyann, the cherry reds were safe inside the garage) so if anything at least the TDI could get totaled and get my money from the insurance company in case shit got real.

You just need to pay someone to wreck your car. Either that or just take the hit. I'm not sure if you waiting around is going to do you any good at this point.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
You just need to pay someone to wreck your car. Either that or just take the hit. I'm not sure if you waiting around is going to do you any good at this point.

Man I flip flop worse than John Kerry at this point :laugh:

But honestly though, I don't want my Civic to get totaled like my old one did. At least there are plenty of MK6's, can't say the same for stock Civic hatchbacks :(

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion

Shini

Go Kart Champion
ILazy yes. Expensive yes, however that is a huge selling point for an apartment building

Hahaha...Yeah...you'd think so.

If they haven't struck a deal yet I doubt they will. All the calls I get from property management companies are about trying to tighten their belt, not to setup U-Verse for the entire lot...Usually those contracts/plans are done while they're in construction so it's a lot cheaper, once everything is up and they're settled in it's like moving mountains to get them to let providers in.

They'll let YOU pay to get service to your apartment, pay for install, etc, but I don't think they'll want to foot that bill themselves, you're there, you're in a lease, why do they care! ;)

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Hahaha...Yeah...you'd think so.

If they haven't struck a deal yet I doubt they will. All the calls I get from property management companies are about trying to tighten their belt, not to setup U-Verse for the entire lot...Usually those contracts/plans are done while they're in construction so it's a lot cheaper, once everything is up and they're settled in it's like moving mountains to get them to let providers in.

They'll let YOU pay to get service to your apartment, pay for install, etc, but I don't think they'll want to foot that bill themselves, you're there, you're in a lease, why do they care! ;)

This is just more reason for me to buy a damn house. This is just such a pain in ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.